Mechanics pocket flashlight

rob b.

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I made a name on the forums because my cheap lights keep breaking the button, and the snap-on re badged stream lights are a rip off.

I'm looking for a durable ultra bright pocket size lite that takes throw away batteries (they are free at work) preferably AA, don't care that much about battery life. I'm a professional, I carry a light in my front pocket every day so i don't want something huge and heavy. The stream light strion series is roughly the size I like, narrow and long is better then fat and short for carrying in your front pocket. at least 500 real lumens, and budget of around $35, can it be done?

I was looking at this light, seems to fit but does anyone know the quality of it?

UItraFire UF-T20 CREE XM-L T6 700 Lumen 1-Mode White Light LED Flashlight Torch

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page

Why has my link been removed? - Norm

any other suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

sbbsga

Enlightened
You could try Armytek Partner A1. Either XM-L or XP-G. Several reviews available in the reviews section. All the best!

Sent from mobile device.

rob b.

Newly Enlightened
What about the ultrafire uf-t20, I like the magnet on the end. That would be a handy feature for sure, could use it like a drop light.

Bumble

Enlightened
What about the ultrafire uf-t20, I like the magnet on the end. That would be a handy feature for sure, could use it like a drop light.

the olight s10 baton is VERY worth a look at... great little light with a magnet on the end too :)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

its only a few $ more than that ultrafire and it will be a better light BUT !!! this is cr123 or rcr/16340 powered though...

there is the NEW OLIGHT S15 AA powered light... again with a very handy magnet in the end :)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?365085-NEW-Olight-S15-Baton-!

just my opinion but i totally agree and think a magnet in a light would be very handy for your job.

EDIT! almost forgot the olight s20 baton with magnet in the end... BUT this is 2xcr123 powered OR rechargeable 18650 li-ion.. not throw away batteries the 18650 ! but it will be more powerfull than the above with better runtimes.

Last edited:

rob b.

Newly Enlightened
no one makes something that holds 2 AA? also I dont want any fancy switch, just on off would be really nice, i turn my light on and off like 100 times a day, i dont want to have to double click or hold it to get max brightness.

Bumble

Enlightened
no one makes something that holds 2 AA? also I dont want any fancy switch, just on off would be really nice, i turn my light on and off like 100 times a day, i dont want to have to double click or hold it to get max brightness.

the olight s15 uses aa extenders so it can be 1xAA or 2x AA or 3xAA. it also has "mode Memory" so if you turn the light off on high... it will come back on high. same goes if you turn it off in medium or low.

rob b.

Newly Enlightened
alright, after much research on AA lights, i find that theres really nothing bright enough and the ones that are have terrible battery life. So now im looking for something rechargeable but it has to be plug in, not take the batteries out to charge. any suggestions?

creyc

Enlightened
It's true, AA based lights aren't known for their sheer brightness or long runtimes, usually AA or AAA lights are more popular for their convenient battery size which means you'll find plenty of 100-200 lm lights in this range with around an hour or two of max runtime.

That said, I second the ZebraLight suggestion, and will further suggest the Zebralight SC52. With its compact size it's not going to do 500 lm, but it's one of the brightest single AA lights at 280 lm. At distances of less than 5-10 feet that's really too bright unless your eyes are already adjusted to broad daylight. Although the price is over your budget, the UI and build quality are excellent and a simple click takes you into HIGH mode every time.

If you really need crazy bright you may consider the EagleTac D25A2 which is a 2x AA light (pen shape) that does 453 lm for around $50. With the head tightened a single click will put you into the highest mode, as well.

Last edited:

Pizza-Driver

Newly Enlightened
I do my own car work and am pretty accomplished. I also do amateur car racing. From that perspective I am loving the little Coast PX45 available in Home Depot and Lowes for 50. It uses 3 AAAs though, not sure if that works for you or if it MUST be AA. I found out by accident that this light *loves* nimh rechargeable AAAs since it runs much brighter on them (tested with Lux meter on my multimeter) compared to using alkaline cells such as the duracells it comes with. The AAAs load into a cylinder so it is not very long. Stock lumens are just over 200. But it is way higher using nimhs. I think this is due to the light being current limited when on alkalines.

Why I like it for cars is that the zoom works wonderfully. For DIY hanging from the hood set to flood is absolutely great. Low shadowing and no hot spots. And the zoom gives a nice small hot spot with little bleed. Works way better than how maglites do it.

Nice construction quality and available in black or grey anodize.

Last edited:

sbbsga

Enlightened
alright, after much research on AA lights, i find that theres really nothing bright enough and the ones that are have terrible battery life. So now im looking for something rechargeable but it has to be plug in, not take the batteries out to charge. any suggestions?

Klarus RS1A.

Sent from mobile device.

Pizza-Driver

Newly Enlightened
Coast A25R is like my PX45 except you can recharge it via a USB connection. 7 h 30 min run time. It has a higher claimed lumens (466) but I wonder how close mine is now when using NIMH cells. It has a stainless steel body and was Made For Mechanics.

Coast A25R Rechargeable

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page

Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

pete3

Newly Enlightened
you could check out something from the nitecore mt series, mt1c, mt2a, small and price of about $30. bright too

TheVat26

Enlightened
You mentioned the Streamlight Strion earlier. Cradle charger, bright, very good runtime, very flat regulation, easy interface. The standard 260 xpg lumen version is more than enough. The HL is 500 xml lumens but runtime is only around an hour and its not as pocketable as the standard version. This new model gives a well balanced throw/flood, not the pencil beams like the older versions.

NowIC

Enlightened
+1 on the Strion. I've used mine for 3-4 years almost daily on the job for hours at a time. Dirty job, gets banged around alot. Never a problem. Sometimes the charging contacts have to be cleaned, that's all. I could prolly use an upgraded emitter now as I've noticed some degradation of the beam quality between spot and spill, but even after almost 4 years it's still better than most any of my colleagues' lights.

Since you mentioned in your op that the size was about right, I'm interested to know your thoughts about this light.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using a Quark 123-2. It's available in an AA version. I've dropped it many times and purposely thrown it across the shop and broken the glass lens. The light works flawless. I cut a piece of clear plastic from a soda bottle and replace the lens with it.
I find the 230 lumen XPG - R5 cool emitter is plenty bright for working on cars for me.
4atysage.jpg

rob b.

Newly Enlightened
the only thing i don't like about the strion is the price, i cant afford to accidentally leave a $120 light under someones hood. And it would be nice if it was a little brighter.

rob b.

Newly Enlightened
how does the klarus rs11 compare in physical size to the strion, is it bigger? How about the ultrafire UF-T30, The ratings seem fake at the price point.

Latest posts