Micro ATL G3 and G4

sunny_nites

Enlightened
AndyF, Light11, zoran - Got you all down for a checker, thanks!

Also, I will confirm the checker with all of you along with the build configuration, just so no one gets missed.

Thanks!

mikes1

Enlightened
Ok sounds good I'll take on of your voltage dealey's
And standard config for my G4

I'm guessing it was in the original thread but can you let me know what the light source for the beacon is?

Thanks

Mike

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Ok sounds good I'll take on of your voltage dealey's
And standard config for my G4
- All set, thanks!

the light source for the beacon
- The beacon is a 3mm blue LED running in the low micro amp range. Runs continuously but at such a low current, it would take years to run the lights battery down.

mikes1

Enlightened
- The beacon is a 3mm blue LED running in the low micro amp range. Runs continuously but at such a low current, it would take years to run the lights battery down.

Wow! That's really cool I was thinking some glow powder or at best a trit :twothumbs
Now really looking forward to this

Thanks

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ATL G3 came in today!! I pictured it a little bit bigger than what it actually is but it is pleasantly compact. This is an excellent package overall with the battery port tool, volt meter, and charger. I charged it right up and gave it a test. I love firefly/moon modes and the ATL G3 has a nice low low! I opted for warm tint and it came out just right.

Between receiving this and a new Troodon today I do believe I enjoy this one more. :) Thank you for making these available Curt, and for all the work you put in to this project! :thumbsup:

Hope to see future projects of yours here!

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Moshow9 - glad your enjoying your Micro ATL!

Hard to get a fix on how truly small and compact these lights are with the zoomed in pics for details and all. I'll post some non-zoomed pics next to common objects later so you can get a better idea how tiny and pocket/keychain/lanyard friendly these little lights actually are.

Thanks!

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Some pics of Micro ATLs next to common objects.

Old trusty, brass G3 on my keychain:
P6080202_zpsmiqswb86.jpg

Aluminum G3 next to a AA battery. The Micro ATL is about the same length but not nearly as thick:
P6080205_zpscompihut.jpg

AAA battery powered light next to a G4, that is patiently waiting on electronics. The Micro ATL feels much more comfortable in a pocket. Actually, the Micro ATL pretty much disappears in my pocket:
P6080212_zpswlnqtq1n.jpg

P6080214_zpseuly3ql1.jpg

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Hey guys, just wanted to go over one of the features of the Micro ATL so no one is surprised when their light shows up.

Back in the Homemade and Modified build page I mentioned that I had done research and experiments to come up with a configuration for the switch that would minimize the likely hood of it accidentally turning on, as the Micro ATL is intended to be a pocket or keychain light. Anyone that has tried to carry the donor light, X-Light Micro should understand when I say that they are very prone to accidental turn ons, because of the way the switch is designed. The micro processor in the X-Light even has a two minute auto power off setting that I believe was likely added to combat this tendency. I eventually relegated my X-Light Micro to lanyard only duty where it performed very well.

I went in a different direction with the Micro ATL and came up with a mechanical way to combat accidental pocket power ons. The switch on the Micro ATL is not like the switch on a TV remote or garage door opener, as necessitated by the design for its intended purpose as a pocket light.

This picture is in the Micro ATL user manual that comes on the disk with the light and shows how the switch is intended to be used.
Switch%20Activation_zpsy3md9cvi.jpg

The switch is activated by pressing down with the tip of your thumb for leverage rather than the pad of your thumb. Some people can activate the switch similar to the way you would activate a switch on a remote control, with the pad of their thumb and some can't. Probably has something to do with the size of your thumb, muscle capability etc. Now one thing I have noticed is that I use the pad of my thumb to operate my Micro ATLS now but originally I had to operate it as shown in the above picture. I'm guessing that the muscles in my hand have developed from using the light all day everyday. But just a guess.

If anyone is interested, send me an IM and I will be glad to send you a PDF of the user manual.

Also want to go over the LED combinations. I'm not sure if anyone else offers mixed LED color temps in a single light or not so this is probably something that most people have never seen before. I've gone over the beam shots I posted earlier and they pretty much look like the beam of the light in real life. But those are static images, taken with a single lighting condition, not casting over various objects under varied ambient light and so on.

What I would suggest is, if you are on the fence or not sure you would like the way the blended beam would look, go with a single color temp, in warm or neutral as it is not practical to change the LEDs once the light is completed.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to make any changes before your light is built.

Thanks!

scout24

Flashaholic
My aluminum G3 Neutral just came in the mail. First impressions:

Well packaged.

Packing checklist included.

Note reminding me to avoid temptation to play with it- "charge first!" :)

Charger/ hex wrench are nice quality, the rubber dogbone holding the two together is a nice touch.

User manual on DVD is great, there are some much more expensive lights I own that should have come with something like this...

The ATL is smaller and lighter than I thought, looks very nicely done.

The blue indicator behind the LED's is a really nice touch, I'm glad it made it to production.

Well done, Curt! I hope to give it a nice test run tonight. Hope to hear some more feedback from other new owners.