Micro ATL Light

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Afraid titanium is on the back burner for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't be able to run it on my mill and none of the machinists I spoke with seemed interested in the volumes I would probably be looking at.

So, moving on with the aluminum build; I found a slightly smaller version of the 240mah lipo in a limited quantity. Going to use those for the gen 3 until the source runs out (might have to come up with a gen 3.5 for the longer 240mah lipos after that). Mainly, this will allow me to go with the original length specs from the gen 2 of 49.5mm. Other specs of the gen 3 are, approximately: width = 25.2mm and height= 9.3mm

Going to stick with the warm Nichia center LED. It really does warm up the beam nicely, oh and the blue beacon behind the LEDs of course.

I'm going to go with an initial run of 9 gen 3 Micro ATLs and see how it goes. I already have a couple spoken for but if anyone is interested let me know and I will put you on a list of first come first served.
If I understand correctly, so far I have definite interest from:
kiely23+
nfetterly
Str8stroke

Anyone else interested, let me know. That leaves four lights unspoken for at the moment.

Also, I have at least one used gen 2 coming back in for a trade in on a gen 3. If anyone is interested in the used gen 2 let me know, I would offer it at a good discount.

I'll get the payment arrangements and shipping charges together shortly. Also, probably going to have to move this over the the sales section of CPF. I'll put a link in this post as soon as I get that set up.

Thanks!

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Hey guys, 1 more micro ATL locked in locally. Anyone else interested let me know. Three left. Thanks!!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention, can you have them machine some slots for tritium or glow powder?? On side would be really neat. So you can see it from the side when your keys are down. No worries about how you set it down. Just a idea.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Thanks, moshow9, your on the list!

Checking on the trit slots, but probably be around $2us/slot.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem adding a few extra US$$ for trit slots. That would really be awesome. I would happily pay $20 for 10 slots. Giving us max flexibility. If someone didn't want to mess with trits, then they could do glow powders, or just leave them blank.

Trit size ideas would be: 3mm x 10mm or 2mm x 12mm. Any folks have other size suggestions? I have these because they are some of the ones that Tain uses. It would be nice to try and keep it a "common" slot.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
It's probably hard to visualize how tiny these lights are with the zoomed in photos and all. But take a look at the pic next to the X-Light micro housing, the Micro ATL is slightly longer but smaller in every other dimension.

The height of the body is 6mm, the top is 3mm. You really would be limited to the 6mm body for vertical trit slots, which would allow for a 4mm to maybe a 5mm long slot, unless the top was permanently sealed to the bottom and even that would only allow maybe an 8mm long trit. The wall thickness is approximately 3.8mm, which would probably limit you to possibly a 2mm diameter trit tube to keep it from sticking out beyond the wall and to keep the tube protected. There is a bit more flexibility with a longitudinal trit. you could maybe go with dual 2mm x up to 40mm trits on the non charging port side and dual 2 x 20mm trits on the charging port side. Unfortunately the top and bottom are too thin to allow for any type of slotting.

I'll try to get some mockups to give you an idea what they might look like shortley.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Also, sorry not that up on tritium tubes, is a 2mm diameter trit tube actually 2mm in diameter or is that the slot it would fit in?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
2mm is the size of the tube. So the slot would need to larger. I can measure some slots when I get home to see exactly what size you would need for a 2mm tube to insert.

Longitudinal is what I had in mind. Nice long trits on each side. :)

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay. I've been working with a new machine shop that is going to use a water jet to cut out the blanks and various holes in the lids. Lot more work getting the dimensions right than you would think.

Should have the four lights that are spoken for here ready sometime on the week of March 2nd.

Please get the exact dimensions and placement for the trits by the middle of next week. With the small real estate to work with, the limit would have to be a single (said dual on the last page but per the machinist, there isn't enough room to put more than one) 2mm x up to 40mm trit on the non charging port side and a single 2 x 20mm trits on the charging port side.

Vertical trits could be up to 5mm in length and a max of 2mm diameter and could be placed on all sides except for the front (LED business end).

Thanks!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep us posted, pimp daddy! I'd love to see the trit job you're talking about.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Couple of updates:

The machine shop is taking a bit longer than first expected but should the parts back from them in another week or two at the most.

I'm going to be using all Nichia LEDs instead of the two neutral Crees and one Nichia. These are hi cri and run around 3600k. Everyone OK with that change?

sunny_nites

Enlightened
I will post beams shots when the LEDs come in and if they appear two warm, we can mix up the combination of LEDs to "cool" the beam down a bit if needed per individual preference.