Micro ATL Light

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Hi guys, was hoping some LEDs would show up today but looks like it will be Monday before I can post any beam shots.

In the mean time, had some time to kill. So...

Wondered how a Micro ATL would look in brass. Technically, I guess that would be a Micro BTL. Going to have to do some rethinking on the acronym.

Anyway, on with the show:

P1010169_zpsyjqm1ik1.jpg

Really liked the way it turned out. Always liked the way brass looks for a flashlight.
P1010170_zpstwqwjp5l.jpg

P1010171_zpse6emnxhv.jpg

And next to an aluminum Micro ATL with lots of pocket duty on the clock.
P1010173_zpsooyvswbs.jpg

One big difference, other than the color, is the brass is significantly heavier than the aluminum. Was worried at first that the magnets would have trouble but happy to say, they are working fine.

Gonna give it some pocket time to see if I can get used to the heft but I do like the way it looks.

And polished.
Resized_zpscb75ares.jpg

Last edited:

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Alright, some parts are finally showing up!

Got the Warm Nichias in and wow, these are warm. I'm thinking they are even warmer than 3600K but they definitely look hi cri. Like holding a piece of sunshine in your hand.

Some beamshots from about 10 feet away.

Neutral Cree:
3%20Neutral%20Cree_zps4zvdiovo.jpg

2 neutral Cree and one warm (but not as warm as these new, hi cri LEDs) Nichia:
2Cree%201Nichia_zps7iurb2kb.jpg

And three warm Nichias:
3Warm%20Nichia_zpsfvx556gi.jpg

Tried to capture show how the LEDs illuminate colored objects.

Direct sunlight
Sun_zpsacmqouzf.jpg

Typical 40watt fluorescent
Flourescent_zps4vsvvxp6.jpg

Three neutral Crees
Neutral%20Cree_zps2izz50hc.jpg

Very warm, hi cri Nichias
Warm%20Nichia_zpsxjuzl3ns.jpg

Big difference, eh?

I'm on the fence on which light or combination I like best. Immediately after seeing the Nichias, everything else looked blue. Even though the Crees are nowhere near blue on their own.

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brass looks great and compliments the light's design better. Do you plan to release the brass one, and if so, how much would they go for?

The 2 neutral + 1 warm is a nice balance. Thanks for the comparisons

sunny_nites

Enlightened
I was definitely surprised at how warm those lights were. The combination with the two neutral Crees and the warm Nichia, that comes with the X-light donor, got the most votes on line and locally. I didn't get a picture of it but mixing in the very warm Nichias with the Cress didn't work so well. The color temps were so far apart they just didn't blend. We'll stick with the two neutral Crees and one warm (but not too warm) Nichia combo for the standard configuration. If you do want the three very warm hi cri Nichias, I can absolutely put that together for you though.

Brass is definitely doable. It machines pretty similar to aluminum so the only difference is the material price. I should be able to do the lights in un polished brass for $8.00 US over the aluminum price. Now, if you want the brass polished, I would have to get a quote for that. I didn't actually do the polishing, that was provided by one of the guys I sold a gen 3 prototype to. I'll try to get a picture of the polished aluminum he did, looks like silver! I had no idea you could even polish aluminum.

My digital scale took the dirt nap, so I can't give you the exact weights yet but stay posted, I'll try to find a scale somewhere. Got used to the extra heft of the brass pretty quickly myself though.

Last edited:

sunny_nites

Enlightened
No problem at all! We're all figuring this out as we go along.

I will do a final configuration check with everyone on the trit slots, LED configuration, chassis material, etc when the parts come in and I get to start putting them together.

Still trying to figure out the new CPF sales site as well. Not sure I understand exactly how it works but will get the URL for the sales section when it comes closer to shipping these pups out.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put me down for a brass one, and I'll finalize LED selections later. I definitely want the trit slots to go with it though!

sunny_nites

Enlightened
KuanR - Brass it is!

bmetcalfe28 - I have one aluminum Micro ATL left but am starting another small run in brass. Choose your poison!

Also, I will probably only be able to offer the first four early enthusiasts the trit slots on the sides. I had just a very limited supply of the special sized 240mah batteries that allowed for the 2.5mm slots on the sides. I can do up to two 2.5mm slots on the back but probably won't be able to offer any slots at all on the sides as the newer 240s are too wide to allow enough metal to remain, other than at the rear for trit slots.

Also, I will probably have to increase the price per slot on new orders. I underestimated the price of cutting the slots but will still honor the original quote for the first four lights. I'll have to get back to you with the price for trit slots going forward, again if you are interested in them that is.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problem paying you a little more for the trit slots to help you out. I know you put a lot of work in these.

That brass is slick!!! This is such a cool concept and final product. Great job. Can't wait for these to get closer to completion. I am liking that super warm HiCri Nichia. Man that is nice and warm.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Thanks for the interest everyone! And the patience, I know this has been a long process.

Just want to do a reality check and get a count on the material everyone wants. Please give me a brass or aluminum so I can get the right amount of material to the machinist.

stingray3

Enlightened
Please put me down for a "polished brass". Make it all neutral LED's. No trit slots....Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts