Micro ATL Light

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Hi guys,

Had a chance to really work with the drill jig tonight:
P4110039_zpsdiq1k8do.jpg

It definitely has some quirks that I am figuring out but I think it is going to work out great!

P4110037_zpss7oeabwq.jpg

P4110035_zpsqfwab0gc.jpg

P4110032_zps3qckl2xc.jpg

P4110040_zpsxbc2f9gj.jpg

P4110041_zps8chv50jc.jpg

Still have a bit of fine tuning to do but everything is looking good.

Kind of off subject but just a little run time info. I charged up my personal light about two weeks ago and have been using it everyday, all day ever since. More or less as you would use a pocket light, some high some low, some fast strobe to annoy the kids, etc.

And it's still fully charged:
P4090021_zpszpnhfabz.jpg

I topped it off today and am going to use as I normally do, until the charge on the battery drops below 3.7volts. Really curious how long it will run between charges. I'm thinking it will be a while.

Thanks and stay tuned!!

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the photos, I concur with AWTYD, can't wait.

IF you decide to do a copper version down the long road, put me front of the line. I can just imagine how the patina would build on these. Nice big chunk of copper. A Micro CUL, YUMMM!!!

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Oh yeah, I love me some polished copper lights!

Believe it or not, copper is very hard to machine though and way beyond the abilities of my mill. Maybe someday but I'm afraid it's gonna have to go on the back burner with TI for now.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
these look great, im surprised you havent taken pre order deposits as this appears to be all coming out your pocket, for this I thank you and hope they turn out great, count me in for one.

Hard ano aluminium would be awesome

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Thanks abarth_1200, your on the list!

I didn't want the pressure of a pre-sale, I really just do this for fun and to make some kick a$$ lights for myself as well and I had a feeling this would take a while to really get off the ground.

I'll post some more pics later tonight or tomorrow with the first mechanically complete (still have to stuff in the electronics), CNC - water jet, Micro ATL G3s!

Been a long haul but we are almost ready to start placing these in your hands!

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Alright, alright, alright, Inaugural run!! Mechanically complete CNC Micro ATL G3s!!

P4130044_zpsl5gz9bvf.jpg

P4130045_zpsv9c4iemp.jpg

P4130046_zpsoh4viyiq.jpg

P4130047_zpsfapj6hmj.jpg

Almost there amigos!!

These are good examples of the brushed finish on the aluminum and non-polished brass versions.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Flashlike

Enlightened
sunny nites -- Please add me to the list. I will commit to purchase a brushed aluminum finish Micro ATL G3. Congrats to you on the clever and exquisite design and kudos to you for your patience and hard work that you have invested! :thumbsup:

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Thanks Flashlike and welcome aboard!

Guys - ran into a problem with my mill fixture that I have to figure out so I'm going to have to ask you to bear with me a bit longer but definitely getting close!

Flashlike

Enlightened
Thanks Flashlike and welcome aboard!

Thanks, sunny_nites! I have a couple of questions about that 3mm blue "beacon" LED you are incorporating.

1. Is this going to be a "standard" component (i.e. installed in all of the ones you are building) or an optional feature?
2. You said that it draws approximately .5 micro amps. Would it take a long time to drain the battery down at that rate? I'm assuming that this LED is on constantly and cannot be turned off?

sunny_nites

Enlightened
The beacon is standard equipment and is always on. Now if you don't want it, I could always not install it but I have to say the beacon is pretty darn handy though. Definitely can help you find the light in the dark.

The blue LED actually runs around 5.0 micro amps. With the 240mah battery, from a full charge, it would take around 4 to 5 years to run it completely down. Those numbers sound crazy, I know, but I have several keychain beacons I made with 1632 and 2032 lithium primary cells that are coming up on 4 years and are still proudly performing keychain duty.

Pretty much the same with the neodymium magnets, if you don't want them for some reason, I can leave those out as well. But again, it really makes the light handy.

Flashlike

Enlightened
The beacon is standard equipment and is always on. Now if you don't want it, I could always not install it but I have to say the beacon is pretty darn handy though. Definitely can help you find the light in the dark.

The blue LED actually runs around 5.0 micro amps. With the 240mah battery, from a full charge, it would take around 4 to 5 years to run it completely down. Those numbers sound crazy, I know, but I have several keychain beacons I made with 1632 and 2032 lithium primary cells that are coming up on 4 years and are still proudly performing keychain duty.

Pretty much the same with the neodymium magnets, if you don't want them for some reason, I can leave those out as well. But again, it really makes the light handy.

OK -- that sounds good to me. Thanks for the explanation and additional information on the beacon LED.

Not to criticize the charging port hole cover design (a threaded insert that screws in and needs to be removed for access to the charging port), but have you thought of any other ideas on that? What about some sort of sliding plastic cover door?

sunny_nites

Enlightened
I did have a couple of other ideas that I explored for the charger port cover. One was a plastic plug that you could remove without a tool and the other was a silicone plug that was attached to the light and could also be removed without a tool.

Neither of the other port cover ideas was very clean to implement though and the set screw won out. A sliding door of some sort would be pretty slick but it would unfortunately be beyond my fabrication skills.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeping in line with your fabrication skills..........I think I have a plan........

What about a magnetic deflector shield? The positive ions in the shield would deflect the negative ions in the pocket lint. Thus creating the perfect Interpocket Electromagnetic Dust Deflector Shield.

:thinking: