Micro Keychain Light

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My maratac peanut wont charge fully on a 26000mah ravpower bank. Once current gets low i think something shuts down.

My maratac also failed in a week. So now ive added a xpg3 s5 copper 5000k led with direct drive. 1.2amps and 500 lumens for 5 minutes of fun lol. In hindsight I think aa sized batteries or something with over 30 mins runtime is worth the extra weight after having 20 mins max as standard at only 150 lumens.

If we're talking something that's not rechargeable or doesn't use coin-cells, I think some of the smaller single-AAA models would be a good choice. I have Fenix's single 10180 offering. It was the last keychain light I had on my key-ring before the Nitecore Tube arrived. It worked decently. Though I believe I had the same Battery Bank issue with that one as well.

I just wanted as least bulky a keychain set-up as possible that incorporates a couple of extra accessories besides keys. Also, I just didn't have confidence in that little Fenix light. Can't explain it.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just reminded me of another issue I have with my TIP.... I can't charge it up, using a Battery Bank. Seriously, I know when it's very low on battery life. Use a B. Bank, the red light comes on, then a few seconds later the green one comes on. But I know it's no where near charged up in a few seconds.

When I switch to a USB cable with a wall outlet plug on the other end, the TIP actually charges up properly. No clue why mine does this. I carry such a cable in my work-bag, so not too big of a deal for me. But still a bit frustrating. I attached a tiny clip onto the split-ring that's attached to only the light. Now I just carry it clipped flat in one of the smaller pockets on my cargo pants. (Locked out, of course.) It's just an extra light.
Very weird. You'd figure power is power... maybe something to do with DC vs. AC? In any case, good to know of this limitation.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, i'm actually glad that you bumped this topic. Now the TIP does work with a battery bank. But the 10180 S.S. Fenix model I have, still refuses to do so. This is just weird. I too would have thought power is power.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. I have one I modded with the 3200k one, but I don't like the tint. Need to replace it with a 5600k.

I do have one of each. I'm more a 3200k guy when walking around late at night which is when I use it most. Probably makes a difference when/where it is being used as well. I've got nothing against that 5600k. It is sweet!

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I second this. It's the "ultimate" keychain light, IMHO, for those who want to keep things simple. Just 2 very usable modes. Charging port hidden in the screw threads. Seriously small size, excellent build quality. And during the discount period they were so cheap -- $8.59 shipped!

I also picked up a Nitecore TIP. I think it's pretty good for what it is. The lockout works well for preventing accidental turn-on. But it's a bit large for a keychain light.

Third this!

The i1R EOS is a lot of light in a little package. The USB recharge is the slam dunk! No button batteries to fuss with. Use it at your will without remorse.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't a 45 min charge a bit hard on the battery?

Unfortunately it's now $17, and olightstore.com only accept orders from US customers.
Any suggestion as for international orders?
Bonjour. It is a relatively new light, so there's no anecdotal evidence on battery longevity. However, Olight has been in this business for many years now and their engineers seem to be pretty keen on doing things right. This is a specialized lithium-ion battery rated at 80mAh 3.7V, so it really can't take very long to charge it.

Sorry, beyond this Olight store deal I'm not aware of other discounts at present. But keep an eye out and there may be more opportunities in the future.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most interesting micro light to catch my attention is Neebo Mycro.

It has two buttons.
5 LIGHT MODES + TURBO MODE
• HIGH (150 lumens) - 1 hour / 51 meters
• MEDIUM (50 lumens) - 2 hours / 31 meters
• LOW (15 lumens) - 5 hours / 18 meters
• GREEN - 40 hours / 1 meter
• RED - 40 hours / 1 meter•
TURBO (400 lumens) - 30 second intervals /

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mycro is well built on a mechanical level. Firmware however has very noticeable PWM on all but turbo mode. I noticed it and I usually don't notice PWM.

The most interesting micro light to catch my attention is Neebo Mycro.

It has two buttons.
5 LIGHT MODES + TURBO MODE
• HIGH (150 lumens) - 1 hour / 51 meters
• MEDIUM (50 lumens) - 2 hours / 31 meters
• LOW (15 lumens) - 5 hours / 18 meters
• GREEN - 40 hours / 1 meter
• RED - 40 hours / 1 meter•
TURBO (400 lumens) - 30 second intervals /

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mycro is well built on a mechanical level. Firmware however has very noticeable PWM on all but turbo mode. I noticed it and I usually don't notice PWM.
Yeah, in my mind PWM is a sign of poor engineering and a quick disqualification, especially given how many quality manufacturers are able to avoid it.

GrooveRite

Enlightened
is the Olight i1R EOS's rechargable battery replaceable? Can anyone who has this light access the battery?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the Olight i1R EOS's rechargable battery replaceable? Can anyone who has this light access the battery?
Not user replaceable. You would have to crack open the casing, and likely end up destroying it in the process. The light itself is not very expensive so once the battery has gotten so worn down as to need replacement, you'd probably rather upgrade to a better light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well..... My Nitecore TIP failed miserably a couple of nights ago when I needed it. It was fully charged, and locked out. I have to lock it out when I EDC it. Otherwise it likes to switch itself on. Pulled it out of the change-pocket of my pants. Tried to unlock it, and NOTHING. I'm not surprised one bit.

It's like dating someone who is attractive, intelligent, funny; but has a raging alcohol problem. You try..... But one night you show up for a date you've been looking forward to all week. Only to find them drunk, staggering around, and vomiting on themselves. Thing is, with their past history with you, you have no right to be surprised or even upset at that point.

In one case, all you can do is call up their good friend to stay with them. In the other, take it out of your pocket and throw it in the trash where it belongs! I literally have no clue how Nitecore stays in business with this level of Quality Control. I really don't. I'm going to be keeping a VERY close eye on the Nitecore Tube that's still on my keyring. She works...... for now.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well..... My Nitecore TIP failed miserably a couple of nights ago when I needed it. It was fully charged, and locked out. I have to lock it out when I EDC it. Otherwise it likes to switch itself on. Pulled it out of the change-pocket of my pants. Tried to unlock it, and NOTHING. I'm not surprised one bit.

It's like dating someone who is attractive, intelligent, funny; but has a raging alcohol problem. You try..... But one night you show up for a date you've been looking forward to all week. Only to find them drunk, staggering around, and vomiting on themselves. Thing is, with their past history with you, you have no right to be surprised or even upset at that point.

In one case, all you can do is call up their good friend to stay with them. In the other, take it out of your pocket and throw it in the trash where it belongs! I literally have no clue how Nitecore stays in business with this level of Quality Control. I really don't. I'm going to be keeping a VERY close eye on the Nitecore Tube that's still on my keyring. She works...... for now.
OK, I can attest that the same thing happened to me.

I'd gotten into the habit of locking out the TIP, because it's easy to do and I did accidentally activate it in my pocket once (and enough). So I go to use it, pressing both buttons to unlock, and it doesn't come on. WTH? So I figure what happened was that I forgot to lock it and it drained the battery in my pocket by accidentally going on.

So, I plug it into the USB charging cord. The red LED button lights come on. I press the ON button and it comes on, quite bright. I then remove the charging cord. I tap the mode light with it off, and I get 3 LED flashes. That means the battery is pretty much at full charge. Sure enough, the light is working A-OK. Stays on brightest mode without stepping down. Weird.

Somehow the firmware must've gotten "confused"... and plugging it in cleared it. I'm going to see if it happens again, and if it does, I'm contacting the vendor to see if they've had this happen on any of their other lights. Incidentally, the first TIP CRI I got was DOA. It would charge, but it would not work at all. I had to mail it back and get a replacement.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, Nitecore lights are garbage. I stopped buying them a while back as I have had issues too(with their lights and customer service). Here is a fine example of their quality(this one is mine but, there are many more all over the internet)...

https://i.imgur.com/qpKGoa2.jpg

To the OP...

I would take a look at Maratac(Countycomm), Peak(Peak LED Solutions), and Surefire for small US made keychain lights.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, Nitecore lights are garbage. I stopped buying them a while back as I have had issues too(with their lights and customer service). Here is a fine example of their quality(this one is mine but, there are many more all over the internet)...

https://i.imgur.com/qpKGoa2.jpg

To the OP...

I would take a look at Maratac(Countycomm), Peak(Peak LED Solutions), and Surefire for small US made keychain lights.
I wouldn't go so far as to declare that all Nitecore lights are garbage. It's just that they've had a few more lemons than average. The EA4 was well received and mine still does just fine. The switch design was a little problematic, but they changed that for the EA41. The EC4GTS has been well received, a nice progression from the EC4GT (although parasitic drain is a bit high, so you'll want to lockout whenever possible).