Micro Keychain Light

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other thing is that the cell phone, especially the large smart phones, can't fit easily into small spaces... OR, you'd want to keep them away from hazards like water. That's where the key chain light comes in handy. Plus... the phone LED lights have limits. My HTC 10 has a wonderful twin set of LED's, in different tints--combined they make a very nice natural light (have no idea of the CRI rating). But it's fixed. I tried an output control app to set different intensities and it was barely detectable. A key chain light with multi-modes is far more useful and maneuverable -- frankly more resistant to moisture than a cell phone. So those are just some of the reasons to use one.

Btw, I once saw a plumber using his smart phone light on a pipe and his hands slipped... the phone went right into the catch pale of water below. RUINED!

Vemice

Enlightened
TIP, Peak Eiger 10180 and TINI for comparison.
VhaEybIl.jpg

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened
You guys got me convinced. I ordered a Olight keychain light yesterday. Seems to have good reviews, the only thing is that it's quite a bit bigger than the current Energizer Micro Light that I know carry. Also, it's rechargeable which may be a good thing since the run time on high is only 20 minutes and on low it's half the lumen that mine has now. After looking at many, I decided it was a good compromise between size and light output. I will have to devise a cover for it like I did the Energizer otherwise the keys bang the heck out of it. I had keychain lights worn down to the nub and with the price of this thing?

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened
The other thing is that the cell phone, especially the large smart phones, can't fit easily into small spaces... OR, you'd want to keep them away from hazards like water. That's where the key chain light comes in handy. Plus... the phone LED lights have limits. My HTC 10 has a wonderful twin set of LED's, in different tints--combined they make a very nice natural light (have no idea of the CRI rating). But it's fixed. I tried an output control app to set different intensities and it was barely detectable. A key chain light with multi-modes is far more useful and maneuverable -- frankly more resistant to moisture than a cell phone. So those are just some of the reasons to use one.

Btw, I once saw a plumber using his smart phone light on a pipe and his hands slipped... the phone went right into the catch pale of water below. RUINED!

I hate that, years ago I carried a $400.00 phone the Motorola tiny "V" phone. Once I was up on a 20ft ladder and I knocked it off my belt clip and another time I was washing my hands in a mop sink and it fell in the sink.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not "micro" but I have couple Surefire Sidekicks on backorder from B&H. $29 ea. Free shipping. The Sidekick on my keychain has preformed well although it isn't used a great deal.

I purchased a few SF sidekick lights during their $19? Black friday sale a while ago.

Mine finally failed. I noticed a chip near the bezel/lens and it still worked (about 6 months ago.) I went to do a function test/charge last week and it wouldn't turn on. I charged it overnight and still nothing.

I emailed Surefire and apparently the lifetime warranty doesn't cover this light. It is a 1 year warranty.

I wouldn't mind buying another one as I like this form factor. My keys are very rarely in my pocket (either in my edc bag or in the center console of my car depending on where I am going.) Surefire has discontinued the sidekick though.

I am searching for a sidekick replacement and I think I narrowed it down to Rovyvon. I just have to figure out which one.

I was looking at Nitecore and after reading this thread, I will avoid their keychain type lights (I have their D2 charger which is issue free for me.)

I prefer the key fob/car fob form factor. My last keychain light was a Photons Intl CR2 (Muyshondt now?) Then this will really date me, an Arc AAA (LE I think) was my first keychain light (no cellphone during that time frame either.)

Many apologies for rehashing a years old thread but I have learned a lot off this thread.

Notchman1000

Newly Enlightened
This Keychain light works great for me RovyVon 2,000 lumens rechargeable.

Attachments

• 20230317_132838.jpg
    20230317_132838.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230317_132913.jpg
    20230317_132913.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 74

Shalom376

Newly Enlightened
What are your opinions on the Nitecore TIKI ?
Is it easily accidentally turned on when carried in pocket ? or when on a keychain hanging from belt ?
Any thoughts on 300 lumen ?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Tiki has been my EDC for the past couple years, and it has never accidentally turned on. I carry it in the bottom of my pocket. I suppose if carried on a keychain it could be activated. This is a great tiny light that has completely replaced a fairly vast collection of single AAA lights because of the low mode coming on first, the very bright high (it could be 300 lm. but probably not), easy switching, and the red side light (I got the LE model). I will be buying another when the battery dies on this one.

Geoff

a

Latest posts