• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]Plastic vs. Aluminum Reflectors[/size]

Just posted this comment in a different thread and thought it might be useful to include it over here...

On the plastic vs. metal reflector issue... a well-designed reflector with plastic supportive structure can be an EXCELLENT reflector, and many aluminum reflectors are mediocre at best. The choice of material among us enthusiasts, I believe, has historically centered around two things...

1. Many of us fashion things on a lathe, where aluminum is a natural choice... and some flashlight heads have integral reflectors (e.g., SureFire) in which the reflector is cut into the same piece of bar stock as the head itself... probably makes more economic sense for the manufacturer to do it this way.

2. We have largely taken our cue from the incandescent guys on reflectors... and they tended toward aluminum because plastic couldn't take the heat pumped out by a super hotwire bulb! :eek:oo:

In the LED world, though, we just don't generate enough heat to invalidate a plastic design, and given appropriate production equipment plastics can equal or exceed the reflective efficiency of an aluminum design, at a lower unit cost. There are also some things achievable in plastic that just aren't feasible in aluminum, such as having stepped feet on the underside of the reflector to facilitate centering, prevent twisting, and standardize the height at which the reflector sits above the emitter (for proper focus).

Also, to be fair, many plastic reflectors use plastic for the SUPPORTIVE STRUCTURE ONLY... the reflective surface itself is often a very thin polished aluminum layer with protective clearcoat to prevent oxidation.

Bottom line, there are good and bad reflectors in BOTH plastic AND aluminum... the material itself isn't enough to determine the quality!

You can read the full post in its original context over here.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
First pictures of the newest monster...

The Milky M3 Transgressor

- 600+ lumen on high, 300 lumen on low
- 6 Rebel 100, McR10-R Reflectors
- Acorn driver...custom firmware.
- Two levels of brightness, Tactical Mode
- 1 hour runtime on high, 4 hours on low
- Uses two li-ion 17500s or three primaries
- Skull of Death (GITD around the skull)
- Titanium Bezel by RPM
- Full review here.

transgressor1.jpg

transgressor2.jpg

transgressor3.jpg

transgressor4.jpg

transgressor8.jpg

Last edited:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
First pictures of the newest monster...

The Milky Transgressor! 600+ lumen, 6 Rebels, Skull of Death (GITD around the skull), Titanium Bezel! Review will soon be posted!

transgressor1.jpg

transgressor2.jpg

transgressor3.jpg

THAT'S GREAT!
This belongs on the top 3 Milky mods of all time.

Please give us runtime specs and beamshots!

and again, beautiful...just gorgeous.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alin, replied.

Gostanova, replied.

DavidR, if all goes well looks like your light might ship tomorrow... Aleph Mule EN with custom shorty LE and Smoothie reflector, driven with FLuPIC. :naughty:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
CREEmator Noir

Quick facts:
- 250 lumen on high, 5 lumen on low
- Surefire E1B head with TIR optic
- Customized Acorn driver (Cary program)
- Runs on 1 li-ion or 2 primaries
- E2e-BK bored out to fit 17670 li-ion
- Also works in 1-cell light with RCR123s

As always, I was left speechless after firing up this light. Thanks for a wonderful job, milkyspit! Hurry and place your orders and you too can have wonderful, insanely bright, jaw-dropping lights!

creemator.jpg

creemator_head.jpg

All my milkspit mods...
milkymods.jpg

Last edited:

hojobones

Newly Enlightened
Scott, I sent you a pm a few days ago just wanted to make sure you got it. I have a few things that should be arriving this week that I would like to get over to you so I don't need to drool anymore. Look forward to talking to you.
-mark

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
blitzlicht65...Thanks! You know, I could have sent all those parts you bought from me directly to milkyspit for modding first...and THEN sent over to Germany. :)

bondr006...I'm only playing catchup to you, buddy! You've had this Creemator Noir mod (aka Transformer) for months now...and your U2by2 is like a distant cousin of my Transgressor. I don't know what's next....maybe bankruptcy court???

Everyone waiting for milkyspit...Please be patient while waiting for Scott to respond to PM's and emails. I know that he's got a box on his desk with 50+ lights, waiting for him to work his magic. It can be a little frustrating, but he does read every single PM and email. He really does strive to treat everyone well and in the end, you'll forget allllllll about the frustration when you hold one of these beauties in your hand!

I say just start sending in cash paypal (or cc...yuck) to his paypal address. Think of it as putting down a deposit for your position in line. :) $100 is a nice round number.

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
Keith, I received your email, will reply in a moment.

2sparky and everyone else for that matter, I'd like to say I'll be in touch with you guys ASAP, too... and yes, a week is certainly reasonable for a polite reminder! :D I will readily admit that I'm not able to reply to everyone instantaneously, although somehow I have an irrational belief that I will in fact be able to do so. If you don't hear from me, please chalk it up to limited hours in the day, or my own forgetfulness, or some pressing matter that took priority, or even a spam blocker trapping your message... the intent is certainly there to get back to you though, there should never be a question of that.

Incidentally, here's a first peek at a light I just finished for Iocheretyanny, built into a host supplied by Cmacclel... I'll post a thread about it eventually but for now, a little eye candy...

img-iggo-headfirst.jpg

Scott,

I got the light - Absolutely Amazing - well worth the wait :)
It's unbelievably bright on highest level at 755 Lumens! All 4 levels are well spaced out.

I love how it has multiple levels of spill, I see the bright spot then the spill from the reflectors and then the secondary spill from the Cree's - Lights up the yard or even the biggest room in the house like it's day!

I compared this to my 4D Cree 5 Malcoff drop in that I just got, and when this light is on full power it totally drowns out the Malcoff - amazing.

I am amazed how compact this light is - I thought it would be size of 2D but
it is about 1 3/4 inches shorter - nice surpise!

Runtime of up to 200 hours on 7 Eneloops is also amazing. Very usable on Ulow.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.