• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Moddoolar Discussion and Updates

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Oveready pocket moddoolar - batteries \ recommendations for triple head light

I would add 2 things. First, the OR head has low voltage warning and step down. So even if the IMR 18350s do not have a protection circuit, you will notice the output drop and know it is time to recharge the cell. The OR head counts cells and will provide low voltage warning for either set up (1x18650 or 2x18350). The second thing is runtime is longer on M (and even longer on L) compared to H. You don't quite get your cake and eat it too, but 2x18350 on M is pretty bright.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Oveready pocket moddoolar - batteries \ recommendations for triple head light

I have this light and agree with what has been said. 2 x 18350s does give a little more WOW factor (perhaps not as big a difference as you might expect) but 1 x 18650 in this light is quite bright on high. And yes, as yoyoman pointed out, medium on 2 x 18350s is still plenty bright for most tasks and will give some pretty good run time.

1 x 3600mAh = at least 4.5 x more run time than 2 x IMR18350s at a given current level. That doesn't mean that the current level will be the same on a given level with either setup, however. It won't be. The bottom line is that the 2 x 18350s hold around 5700 Wh of energy and 1 x 3600mAh 18650 holds about 12000 Wh.

reyess126

Newly Enlightened

This is fantastic feedback. Thank you all for your input.

I suspect I will find out how long I can rely on 2x 18350 on medium and if I don't like it then stick with a 18650...

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got two of these setups - the TL50 tube with shorty tailcap is a blast. I'm glad to hear you got the LMH - it's ALOT easier to stop on M going up from L that when you start at H. I've been able to run 2x18350 for most of a day with pretty frequent use - but I'm usually only ~5 minutes from fresh batteries and it's generally not pitch dark either. Enjoy.

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened

Would the Ultrafire 1200Mah 18350 (2) be a better option for better run time Vs the IMR 700 ???

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Would the Ultrafire 1200Mah 18350 (2) be a better option for better run time Vs the IMR 700 ???

They would be cheaper. We've not tested them, but the difference between 700 and 1200 is most likely marketing. In general, UF cells have the same or less capacity than their AW counterpart.

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened

They would be cheaper. We've not tested them, but the difference between 700 and 1200 is most likely marketing. In general, UF cells have the same or less capacity than their AW counterpart.

Dan, thanks. I went with the IMR 700's. Thanks-

black bolt

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry Dan for not specify the color previously but I'm looking for natural not black. So is the timeline still a few
weeks away?

a.lber.to

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.

The other day I was lucky enough to chance upon an available Moddoolar Oblivion light on Oveready, which I purchased and received today. It is an awesome little light, especially with the smooth Oblivion head.

Speaking of the head, I was told that this is a v4 HML XPG2 4000k engine, which I presume means it is an H3 head. Regardless, it is plenty bright, and the tint is a very beautiful natural!

While running it on low, I noticed that there is a tiny red LED next to one of the three LEDs which blinks on and off on a seemingly 2sec-2sec cycle while the lamp is on. This may also be on in the other power modes, but if so it is impossible to see. Does anyone know what it means?

Thanks!

IsaacL

Enlightened
Its an indicator light used on LuxRC boards. OR has it set up to flash when the overheating protection kicks in and the light shuts off. That's all I know :)

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the score man!

It is simply an indicator light that flashes in that sequence during normal operation.

Hello everyone.

The other day I was lucky enough to chance upon an available Moddoolar Oblivion light on Oveready, which I purchased and received today. It is an awesome little light, especially with the smooth Oblivion head.

Speaking of the head, I was told that this is a v4 HML XPG2 4000k engine, which I presume means it is an H3 head. Regardless, it is plenty bright, and the tint is a very beautiful natural!

While running it on low, I noticed that there is a tiny red LED next to one of the three LEDs which blinks on and off on a seemingly 2sec-2sec cycle while the lamp is on. This may also be on in the other power modes, but if so it is impossible to see. Does anyone know what it means?

Thanks!

IsaacL

Enlightened
Found it!

Thermal Management
In addition to the hardware overheating cutoff (at 120°C) the V4 Triple LED drop-ins implement a 65C (149F) temperature setting at which the output is reduced to prevent lithium battery overheating (when it shares the same housing with the light engines). High-temperature warning is introduced in the stand-by mode (fast red-indicator blinking during which it's not recommended to touch the flashlight head).