• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Moddoolar Triple Wasp Cooling Head and Glow System

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Tom has parts left for one last set this round but is devoting all hours so all Es (which are labor intensive) can be sold as a single set. Then we can finish up our remaining wasp heads. Then we are building the first sets of v5 drops. After that we are working on a new project, after which we will be making a whole new batch of Wasps.

I'm working to get to all of this done this year, but December is notoriously difficult for production. As well as launching the v4 to v5 upgrade program (November).

Last edited:

mfrey

Enlightened
Hi Dan,

How do you anticipate the V5 drop-ins will compare with the Wasp heads in terms of overall performance? I imagine that the Wasp heads will perform better due to the superior thermal dynamics of the head design but do you have any speculation as to how much better? I suspect that the drop-in output will be the same but they will initiate the thermal control earlier. Is that correct?

MMD

Enlightened
Tom has parts left for one last set this round but is devoting all hours so all Es (which are labor intensive) can be sold as a single set. Then we can finish up our remaining wasp heads. Then we are building the first sets of v5 drops. After that we are working on a new project, after which we will be making a whole new batch of Wasps.

I'm working to get to all of this done this year, but December is notoriously difficult for production. As well as launching the v4 to v5 upgrade program (November).

Is there a possibility to purchase a v5 board for a diy upgrade? I understand it is a skilled procedure but some may be interested in this option.

What are the details of the upgrade program? Will the v4 board be returned or used as a credit? Is there an estimated cost for this? Board only vs swap vs return v4 board?

flat-ray

Enlightened
Is there a possibility to purchase a v5 board for a diy upgrade? I understand it is a skilled procedure but some may be interested in this option.

What are the details of the upgrade program? Will the v4 board be returned or used as a credit? Is there an estimated cost for this? Board only vs swap vs return v4 board?

I am interested in V4 to V5 upgrade program!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
How do you anticipate the V5 drop-ins will compare with the Wasp heads in terms of overall performance? I imagine that the Wasp heads will perform better due to the superior thermal dynamics of the head design but do you have any speculation as to how much better? I suspect that the drop-in output will be the same but they will initiate the thermal control earlier. Is that correct?

All v5 installations will have the same levels and options. So wasp or drop or E, XPL on two cells will be 30w on startup. The difference is limited to how the package handles the heat and how the board reacts to the accumulation of that heat. The best P60 setup in the world still has to transfer heat through several layers of metal before it can start to even shed that heat to air. Conduction is faster than convection, so the best predictor of performance in such (relatively) poorly ventilated setups will be the shear volume of metal.

I am interested in V4 to V5 upgrade program!
I have enough boards on order to cover the entire drop in launch and then some. When they all arrive (they don't all ship at once), I will have enough to start individual board sales. Hopefully in December.

We've not worked them all out. But upgrades and loose boards will be around $100. I don't expect to launch with a trade in option but if there is a demand for loose v4 boards, that would make it much easier (and cheaper for everyone). The problem is that 100% of wasp heads already have at least v4 boards so a market will have to develop for them. So probably a series of steps, starting with loose v5.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Helping a dude with this image. Thought I'd share with everyone:

ModdLine.jpg

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I am also looking for a 115 shorty. Until then I have to make do with a 130; that extra 15 mm is killing me... :eek: Just kidding, heheh... Seriously, I am in for a 115 in both finishes if or when you make them.

brunt_sp

Enlightened
I agree that a 115 tube would be great and indeed suggested it in 2013 but ElectronGuru replied, "We've studied this possibility. The biggest hurtle is the batteries themselves. Even among protected Panasonic's of a single capacity, 20 shops produce 20 lengths. Length variations are doubled by a second battery and the ZRS has zero ability to extend for shorter cells or expand for longer ones. The drop in or head would require a massive spring to provide enough range to handle even a majority of cells."

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Yeah, thanks Brunt!

We've had requests for 3 extenders + TL20 to do the same thing and the cell length is a nightmare.
We'd have to add a spring to the ZRS, killing its ZR capability.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, thanks Brunt!

We've had requests for 3 extenders + TL20 to do the same thing and the cell length is a nightmare.
We'd have to add a spring to the ZRS, killing its ZR capability.

Noooooo, the ZRS rocks! Love it !!

I apologize - I was joking about the 115 slim !!!

Although I probably would buy one. Even if it wasn't slim - I hear what you're saying though. I just went through something similar this morning with a co-worker who bought a light from me, I stretched out the spring a bit and "reset" a spring loaded (negative) contact and no more flickering....

Last edited: