Modified TN31

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: modified tn 31

Yeah my statement doesn't make much sense now that the thread is back here. Somehow one of the mods moved this thread into the LED flashlight forum. Clearly it has been moved back so all is well now.

Sleepwalking can be very confusing for a thread. It goes to sleep in one forum, and wakes up in another.

Deeksie

Newly Enlightened

Hi Saabluster,

Potentially interested in this light, but I could do with some clarification.
I was under the impression that candela = lux / (distance to source)^2, so that 1cd = 1 lux @ 1m, is that correct?

Many other people have measured the TN31 at 70-80K lux @ 1 meter, which, if I'm correct above, is the same as 70-80 Kcd. But you measure it as 130 Kcd in stock condition. If I'm correct about lux and candela I'm interested as to why your measurement is significantly higher than others?

EDIT: Found my answer in another thread, you believe Thrunite made a large error in their measurement process.

I think I know how your modification works, but I don't want to post it here in case I'm correct, so I will PM you if I can work it out...simply out of interest. I hope that's ok. :)

Deeksie

Last edited:

bc5000

Newly Enlightened

He put them up for sale, the info's on the web site...do we need tweets about what he had for breakfast too?

:D

You're preaching to the choir, I bought one when he first put them up. :cool:

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update on saabluster's progress.

Michael has just told me he is very busy getting into the product building and is in the final stage of the TN31 builds.

He said I could relay this information onto other CPFers that may be concerned with the timeframe of his work.

He would rather work hard at the moment and get back to the forum about where he is at later.

He does not want to spend too much of his time making promises about final deadlines and rather knuckle down with the job at hand.

I think he has reassured me that everything is proceeding well but slower than even he thought.

He said he has five finished TN31s at the moment.

Cheers :)

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Re: Update on saabluster's progress.

Very cool,
Thanks for the update. Maybe i'll get one of those 5. I looked to see when I placed my order and it was 8/29. I think it really put him behind with the slow delivery and the finish that SL had to remove. I think he's doing a fine job for these being the first ones. De-doming Xml is no easy process like it is with the SST lights so there are bound to be some hickups. Thanks for the update, I know having to reply to a ton of emails asking about the status is no fun.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I worked on these lights for 19 hours straight yesterday stopping only for food and bathroom breaks. Have 20 "completed". They are functionally complete but still have to be tested on the light meter and characterized. For those that do not know Monday is a national holiday here in the US so the mail does not run. That means Tuesday is the official ship date for the TN-31s. Thanks for your your patience all.

bjs55

Newly Enlightened

Sabb,
Take your time don't kill yourself we will be patient, we know it will be worth the wait

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
so how does this compare to the catapult v2 xm-l?

I have one and love it, but I'm always looking for more.

it would have to handly out throw the catapult to justify it though.

I love the catapult but kinda dislike the UI with the turn the head thing.

hahoo

Enlightened

it will make that cat look like a 1980 's 2d maglight, with weak ever ready batteries, and a failing light in it.. ......:D :devil:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

In terms of measured throw it would take about 4 of those Catapults to equal one of these Modified TN-31s. :)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi saabluster, so basically (but not simply) the mods you've made were to decrease thermal and electrical resistances right? optics are all stock?

Deeksie

Newly Enlightened
Hi Overclocker,

Based on his reply to my PM, no, the optics aren't stock.

thatsIT

Newly Enlightened
Well I worked on these lights for 19 hours straight yesterday stopping only for food and bathroom breaks. Have 20 "completed". They are functionally complete but still have to be tested on the light meter and characterized. For those that do not know Monday is a national holiday here in the US so the mail does not run. That means Tuesday is the official ship date for the TN-31s. Thanks for your your patience all.

Wow - hi guys, I'm new to the forum.

I bought my first real torch recently, a Led Lenser P5 and got hooked. A few google searches later I stumbled across this site & was blown away by Selfbuilt's reviews & how hardcore the members are.

Haven't been sleeping well after reading about Saabluster's mods - put my order in yesterday for one of his TN31s, can't wait till it arrives!

Peter :)

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought my first real torch recently, a Led Lenser P5 and got hooked. A few google searches later I stumbled across this site & was blown away by Selfbuilt's reviews & how hardcore the members are.

Haven't been sleeping well after reading about Saabluster's mods - put my order in yesterday for one of his TN31s, can't wait till it arrives!

That's the way to do it Peter, you have just shortened your 'spending' process considerably !!! Going for the ultimate..oh yeah

Hi Peter

Welcome to the forum. I like your style, first flashlight = Led Lenser P5. Second flashlight purchase = Saabluster Modded TN31. LOL just where will you go from here???
16 Million cd short arc?

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
In terms of measured throw it would take about 4 of those Catapults to equal one of these Modified TN-31s. :)

ok, you got my attention.

1) can you run this thing safely with 18650 AW 3100 protected cells (will they fit?)

2) is there any reduction in safety at all?

3) not trying to insult anyone but with the light modded, i am probably out of luck with the warranty from thrunite so what happens if I have trouble down the road a bit? (we're talking almost 300 bucks, so it's not just a buy another one). There is nothing in the terms and conditions on the website.

I really like the UI.

I would sell my catapult, what do you guys think is a fair price? It's in mint condition with all accessories included and never used and I would include the 2 AW cells that are not used that much.

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
cool. so that explains the massive increase in throw. probably dedomed as well?
Yes, its a de-domed XM-L with the stock reflector.

ok, you got my attention.

1) can you run this thing safely with 18650 AW 3100 protected cells (will they fit?)

2) is there any reduction in safety at all?

3) not trying to insult anyone but with the light modded, i am probably out of luck with the warranty from thrunite so what happens if I have trouble down the road a bit? (we're talking almost 300 bucks, so it's not just a buy another one). There is nothing in the terms and conditions on the website.

I really like the UI.

I would sell my catapult, what do you guys think is a fair price? It's in mint condition with all accessories included and never used and I would include the 2 AW cells that are not used that much.
Saab warrentys all the lights, I asked him the same question and he said unless DOA (he would pay shipping then) the user would pay shipping to him and he would fix pretty much anything for free and ship it back.

If anything his TN31 will be more reliable than stock, yess the LED is over driven but it runs cooler so its better.