Moonlight - Bringing the output down

scout24

Flashaholic
For me, it's as much about blowing out my night vision as waking my wife. The lower the better. As long as I can see what's at my feet, it's bright enough. HDS low, Spy 005 programmed way down, Zebra, Photon Freedom. Glad we have so many good low-output choices available.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon Freedom is a great light for someone that wants to try some super low output for very little money. Fun light to play with. Cool UI

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, low mode is low mode, whether 5 or 0.5 lumens. I've never switched on 5 lumens with dark adapted eyes and wished for less output. Don't take me wrong, low modes are very important, but we're splitting hairs with the varieties of sub lumen output. Half a lumen might be well for viewing the night stand in the wee hours, but it is insufficient for tail standing even the deepest darkness.

If you really are in true darkness, 0.5 lumens tail-standing is indeed plenty of light for seeing around a room. You won't be able to read by it (tail-standing), but IMO it's more light than I want. I typically use maybe 0.2 lumens for tail-standing, and much less than that for direct lighting when getting up in the night. However, I live in a dark area, which is pretty black when the moon isn't out. It's not pitch-black, but good enough for my eyes to dark adapt well.

If you really can't see with 0.5 lumens tail-standing, then either your eyes are not dark adapted, or you have some eye issue preventing that. Okay, if you're 80 years old, that may be normal. But it's not normal for someone in their 60's or younger.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading that it's easier to fall back asleep after getting up for a nightly bathroom visit, if you use very little light. I used to turn on a bright light when going to the bathroom at night (I live alone), and always had a hard time going back to sleep. As soon as I tried using the sub lumen levels on my Zebralight, bam, no more trouble going back to sleep. I'm a believer.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never say never, I suppose. Not long after I wrote post #19, I used a 3-5 lumen low mode and thought it was too bright. Fortunately, the light is programmable, so dialing it down is no issue.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub-lumen is great for preserving night vision, but I need at least a couple lumens, when trying to find the right colored socks in the morning!😉 The moonlight level on my Mcgizmo Haiku (Reylight V3 driver) is perfect! My wife's Spy 007 mule is probably under 1 lumen on the first setting, and works well for her night light.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm mainly interested in how to talk my wife into requesting a Spy 007 as a nightstand light.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, it's the least I can do, for her putting up with my flashlights!😁 It is a great light though. I find the mule beam more fitting on spy lights, then a reflector. The flood was my favorite beam on my Tri-V3 too. Very nice to have 6 levels of flood light on the 007!