Muhahahahaha! M4/M3 LED Now DESTROYED... :(

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M4 body came today, I had the tailcap, got batteries (of course), the D36 LED "select tint" module and M3 head are both on the way. Can't wait to put it all together and see what comes out. However, there may be some wrinkles. I ordered the M3 head from Opticsplanet and I don't think they know what actual model the have in stock. I'm guessing it will be the old round style. Bleh, I hope not. Also, I would like to swap the driver board out in the D36 for better output and features. I, of course, want it to be a scorcher on high. I would like a driver that would allow me to have 3 modes - Hi/Med/Low - and reset to Hi first if off more than 2 seconds or so. Anyone know of which driver board will fit and will allow for those features? I would appreciate any help.

UPDATE BELOW :shakehead

Last edited:

roadie

Enlightened
Re: Muhahahahaha! M4/M3 LED setup 65% complete....

how do u actually fit the d36 into the m3 head ....?:sigh:

i might be doing it too :grin2:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmmm. I hope the head isn't too hard to get open.

I still need help deciding what driver board to get. Maybe this is the wrong forum.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Don't need the tool.

Use the handle of a paint roller or toilet plunger. If it's a crenellated one that is!
Really was easy when I did it.

roadie

Enlightened

anyone mind do one for me that ables to run on 4 x cr123a ?

becase the separation seems to be abit tricky for me. :faint:

or shld i jus sell the body away ...... :( sigh ...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

So the M3 head came today! NICE! I thought for sure they would've sent the old style version but thankfully the new style came and is almost exactly the same shade as the body. The reflector is beautiful! Almost a shame it has to come out, which brings me to my next question....

SGT LED: Does the shock-isolation mechanism just fall out with the reflector? Or do you use the D36 module with it?

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

Simply put everything that´s in the Z46 (M3 head) back in the way it was - except for the original reflector which gets replaced with the D36 module. If you loose the foam, the D36 won´t fit properly and if you loose anything else i´d say you´ll have problems with the lens.

Eric

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I tried like the ****ens to get the M3 head open to accomodate the D36 module that arrived today. I have a good tool for unscrewing bezels but they must've used an extra helping of liquid weld on this thing cuz all I did was basically destroy the head. Ugh. I think I should just sell the parts and look at doing something else! LOL! Also, I plopped the D36 in the M4 with 4 primaries and held it in place while I activated it and needless to say, I am not impressed. I don't think its close to 250 lumens. Maybe 175? Ugh. Glad I didn't order a battery+charger setup like I was going to. So... anyone want a damaged M3 head? I'll post some pics of the carnage in this post here in a minute....

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

TELL ME ABOUT IT! One thing I know how to do, is destroy things trying to mod them. I have everything for sale at the marketplace to protect them from further damage!

donn_

Flashaholic

I have a good tool for unscrewing bezels but...

IMGP2513.jpg

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, it looks like you "sacrificed" the original screw portion and replaced it with a shiny Ti or SS version, correct?

donn_

Flashaholic

Yep...Ti. The original is still mint, however. I didn't use those tools ( although it looks like you did). I used a heat gun first, to loosen the bezel ring goo, and then just a rubber-strap strap wrench.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I heated mine up real hot too, so hot I could touch it even for a second with my bare hands - still didn't budge.

Illum

Flashaholic
try heating it then roll the edge on an ice cube...epoxy doesn't like the rapid contraction of metals too much, now that its marred, might as well try to finish it off. The pyrex shouldn't crack unless you roll it on the ice cube after heating