Multi-Mode Incan Lights?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree a fast charge can damage a nimh battery if it's just timed. I assumed he would only charge when battery was low.

As for a stinger charger, I have looked into it and I will suffer the Canada tax. It makes it prohibively expensive. I bought a 3s charging board on ebay for $2. I soldered a USB cable onto it for power and a couple magnets on the charging leads. They stick right to the lights pins and charge it well

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the 9N today and it appears to work just fine with the NiMHs. I only wonder: since the output is selected by rotating the head of the light, what do the 3 markings on the rear end of the body indicate (2x sun symbols, one brighter than the other, and one lightning bolt)? They line up with an engraved dot on the tailcap. No matter how far I screw the tailcap down, the momentary switch functions just the same and the output obviously doesn't change. When rotating past the lightning/electricity symbol the light does not lock out either. I have no manual for this light. Any idea?

hsa

Enlightened
I think the lightning bolt was where you positioned the cap for battery charging "in light" or cradle charging, but I'm not sure. I may have a manual around here, I'll check.

hsa

Enlightened
Ok, I found the manual. Line up the sun on the body with the dot on the tail cap for momentary, line up the lightning bolt on the body with the dot for cradle charging. This is a 9N 500 series, it says.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I found the manual. Line up the sun on the body with the dot on the tail cap for momentary, line up the lightning bolt on the body with the dot for cradle charging. This is a 9N 500 series, it says.

Thanks. Mine's a 330, or that's what it says on the box. The Lightning for cradle charging makes sense, but why are there two sun symbols? Does the 500 only have one? On mine, one of them is hollow, the other is filled. This would indicate two different brightness levels to me, but it doesn't make a difference when lined up with one or the other. Changing the brightness with head rotation works just fine as it should.

EDIT: Oh wait, I get it. Hollow sun is momentary, filled is constant on. I was confused because it switches to constant ON only a little past the the second sun symbol. Im dense.

Last edited:

hsa

Enlightened
The manual only talks about the one sun symbol and I don't have the light anymore, gave it to my stepson, the cop. Seems like I remember there being two sun symbols on an old 3p but I'm not sure about that one either.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way; the charger was actually a c300, which is what I kinda expected at first, but since I couldn't find any pictures online of one, I couldn't confirm. It's a slow charger that charges over 12 hours. I have decided to keep charging the cells separately anyway. The cells I bought had a cardboard warping that can easily be taken off. They are flat top, so in order to make contact I had to remove the wrapping anyway. When I first tested the light, I actually put a rolled-up piece of baking paper into the battery tube to prevent a short circuit. Now I just use a piece of shrink wrap cut to length and let the batteries slide inside. May not be elegant but it works very well.

I think its certainly a better solution then trying to adapt 18650s or 21700s to work in the thing with adapters. Better runtime too. I also cant imagine the brief voltage spike of 4,2V to be good for the bulbs in the long term.

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nihm could give a 4.5v spike. Probably not a bad idea to charge separately though. I imagine if it had a charging cradle these things were kind of meant to be fully charged at all time ready to go at a moment's notice. I don't imagine that you're using it in such a "tactical" way. And if the cells are low self discharge that also gets rid of the need for it to always be on the charger

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
iAW soft start hotwire switch for Maglite. has 3 modes, PWM

Latest posts