Muyshondt Mk III S2

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I don't have a Maratac or I would do a comparison for you. I will say the beam is more of a spot my previous EDC's such as the foursevens mini ml-x. Which I wouldn't think I would have preferred but I do.

I appreciate the help. If anyone reading this does have both I'd love to know how the med levels compare to the naked eye as far as brightness goes?

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
For anyone who has one of these, if it isn't your edc, I'm curious about what is and why it works better for your carry philosophy and practical use.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my MKIII S2 in Blackwell finish last Saturday. Been carrying it everyday. If I recall back when I had a Ti MKIII S1 I thought the knurling on the body wasn't to the quality you'd expect from a nearly $500 light. I think the S2 body is an improvement. The Blackwell finish is very nice. Best way to describe it is Hinderer's working finish. My biggest complaint is I really wish medium mode output was about twice as powerful, another 15 lumens for a total of 30 would be perfect IMO. I did a quick comparison to my Maratac AAA Brass V4 with the 219c emitter. Also my opinion, you cannot beat a nichia driven Maratac AAA in your favorite metal flavor when fed with Eneloop Pro's for EDC! That said, the Aeon MKIII S2 is pretty dope but truly an EDC gear snobs tool and maybe not very practical when considering cost to performance ratio ymmv. I'm keeping mine as an EDC for the time being. I mean, it is a Muyshondt after all. ;) Here are my quick beam comparison shots into my cluttered storage room. In all pics, Aeon on top, Maratac on the bottom. Low to high. For wall comparison Aeon left, Maratac right.
9d675b782c2129bd876467063b200cad.jpg

70dff57970d93240225013b43589d467.jpg

589067e4daa5c55085c3d82325c19d21.jpg

fa42a2d5a253e8c8c70e06e52f2098c2.jpg

589bf3d37d499b89d55cb2ecee28634b.jpg

2d573ec250eb5854a18e5f5ccfaed49a.jpg

f4fef670b3948013d4cb13b7f916c9c5.jpg

Last edited:

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]Nice pictures and comparison shots. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the medium mode my first reaction was that I would like a fourth mode. Keep the medium the same output but add a 70ish lumen mode for 1, 15, 70, 160. Then of course you have the drawback of clicking through an extra mode and I suppose I wouldn’t really know if I would prefer that without living with it for a week. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When it comes to the beam pattern do you like the floodier pattern better on the Maratac for edc? A priori I would have said floody beam patterns make more sense like those present on the Foursevens Mini ml-x or Mini MKII. Yet somehow I prefer the tighter hotspot on the Aeon. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To get philosophical, I have a question on the performance attribute; I see people use this and I wonder what they mean. I can see performance being limited in describing light output. However, I like to think of it as how well the flashlight performs all around. The clip, the clicky or twisty action, the size in terms of carry and using, battery life, output levels, quality of the beam pattern, tint, and CRI all come together for a performance rating for me. How do you mean performance and how do you think most people mean it?[/FONT]

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
[FONT=&quot]Nice pictures and comparison shots. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the medium mode my first reaction was that I would like a fourth mode. Keep the medium the same output but add a 70ish lumen mode for 1, 15, 70, 160. Then of course you have the drawback of clicking through an extra mode and I suppose I wouldn’t really know if I would prefer that without living with it for a week. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When it comes to the beam pattern do you like the floodier pattern better on the Maratac for edc? A priori I would have said floody beam patterns make more sense like those present on the Foursevens Mini ml-x or Mini MKII. Yet somehow I prefer the tighter hotspot on the Aeon. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To get philosophical, I have a question on the performance attribute; I see people use this and I wonder what they mean. I can see performance being limited in describing light output. However, I like to think of it as how well the flashlight performs all around. The clip, the clicky or twisty action, the size in terms of carry and using, battery life, output levels, quality of the beam pattern, tint, and CRI all come together for a performance rating for me. How do you mean performance and how do you think most people mean it?[/FONT]

I like the beam on the Maratac much more honestly. The Aeon is a little better in the CRI department and I enjoy the tint on both equally. I hate to say it but I fear if/when Maratac finally decides to release a Ti AAA with the Nichia led I'll probably sell the Aeon. But who knows, maybe it'll grow on me. We shall see.....

LogicalBeard

Newly Enlightened
I'd say you got off cheap then. I've debated on picking up a Maratac or an Eagletac D25A in the past; But, alas, the Aeon seems like a better fit for my preferences. Maybe one day.

elzilcho

Enlightened
It's been a while since I visited this thread but I wanted to say thank you for the photos of the emitter. It does look like there might be PWM or something similar on the S2 but perhaps not as pronounced as it was on the S1. Hard to tell from a picture but that's my first impression from looking at it.

I may need to give the S2 a try. The form factor is so good with the CR2 cell and I've found myself missing my S1 recently.