Muyshondt Nautilus

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Bill,

I have no plans to do another run of aluminum Nautilus lights, and the last run of Titanium lights earlier in the year was equipped with an R2 Bin XR-E, which is the "latest" and can't really be updated past that.

I'll likely do another run of these in Titanium at some point in the future, but I won't be doing anymore aluminum ones.

Take care.

-Enrique

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Bill,

I have no plans to do another run of aluminum Nautilus lights, and the last run of Titanium lights earlier in the year was equipped with an R2 Bin XR-E, which is the "latest" and can't really be updated past that.

I'll likely do another run of these in Titanium at some point in the future, but I won't be doing anymore aluminum ones.

Take care.

-Enrique

Thank You Enrigue. I did not know you did a TI run with a R2 Bin. Sounds like a great light! Did Bright Guy receive any of these? If not I will look forward to your next run. Keep us all up to date on your latest offerings. You really do have a great approach to making lights. Simple, Functional, and Rugged.

Regards,

Bill

CPEng

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a sweet light but I can't figure out how the switch works by looking a the pictures.

How does the two stage work?

In the review it was said that you would unscrew (counter clockwise) the light to activate it and screw down (clockwise) to turn it off. This is counter to what I thought and I'm pretty positive the threads aren't left hand.

Thanks

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nautilus head screws into body counter clockwise, as you turn into body, low activates, turn farther into body as far as you can turn and high activates.

Hope this helps.

jeffb

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
:grin2:
Looks like a sweet light but I can't figure out how the switch works by looking a the pictures.

In the review it was said that you would unscrew (counter clockwise) the light to activate it and screw down (clockwise) to turn it off. This is counter to what I thought and I'm pretty positive the threads aren't left hand.

Thanks

That is actually a funny question now that I think about it. It depends on which way your facing the light. If you have it in your hands and pointing it at something then the head turns counter clockwise to your position to turn it on low then high. Which is the way I did it during the review. If you are facing the head and pointing the light at yourself, then the light turns clockwise. It literally depends on your point of view. LOL:grin2:

P.S. The review didn't say anything about screw or unscrew.

Hope this clears it up.

Bill

Last edited:

CPEng

Newly Enlightened
My question was more on to how the mechanics of the two stage are accomplished. Does the positive contact on the underside of the head move up and down creating new circuits?

I understand the operation of the two stage.

Thanks for clarification Hitthespot on the screwing or unscrewing. I associated clockwise with screwing in on right hand threads.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My question was more on to how the mechanics of the two stage are accomplished. Does the positive contact on the underside of the head move up and down creating new circuits?

I understand the operation of the two stage.

Thanks for clarification Hitthespot on the screwing or unscrewing. I associated clockwise with screwing in on right hand threads.

Well that is a good question, and I don't know what causes the light to go from low to high. Can anyone answer exactly how the two stage works?

Bill

Last edited:

tnuckels

Enlightened
Looks like a sweet light but I can't figure out how the switch works by looking at the pictures.

I've only briefly examined the head of my Nautilus, but this is my take on how it works: there appear to be two electrical paths, one for low and one for high. As you screw the head down into the body of the light (righty/tighty, lefty/loosey) the positive terminal of the battery makes contact initially with a spiral spring in the center of the head which is surrounded by a foam washer (anti-battery-rattle), completing the low circuit. This spring is shaped to form a dome over, but not touching, a lug in the center of the head. Screwing the head further into the body compresses the spring until it touches the lug, completing the high circuit.

It's simple, effective, modifiable, and fixable. What more could you ask for?

Unless, of course, I've got it all wrong …

CPEng

Newly Enlightened
I've only briefly examined the head of my Nautilus, but this is my take on how it works: there appear to be two electrical paths, one for low and one for high. As you screw the head down into the body of the light (righty/tighty, lefty/loosey) the positive terminal of the battery makes contact initially with a spiral spring in the center of the head which is surrounded by a foam washer (anti-battery-rattle), completing the low circuit. This spring is shaped to form a dome over, but not touching, a lug in the center of the head. Screwing the head further into the body compresses the spring until it touches the lug, completing the high circuit.

It's simple, effective, modifiable, and fixable. What more could you ask for?

Unless, of course, I've got it all wrong …

Thanks, that sounds like a good simple design.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey folks,

To clarify, since I already see that my words have been taken out of context by some people selling their lights and using 'rarity' as marketing, having no plans to make more lights in aluminum does not preclude me from doing a run in the future; never again and having no plans are two very different things. I have other projects and interests on my plate, and as noted before, I have no plans to make any in the foreseeable future, but I don't want people to base their purchases based on some sentiment of rarity or exclusivity that may or may not actually exist because of some statement of mine. :shrug:

Outdoors Fanatic: The only place with any Nautilus lights in stock right now is flashlighshop.de; e-mail Bernd Auler at [email protected] if you'd like to get any from him. Brightguy used to carry the Nautilus in aluminum, but all inventory of it has dried up here at the source and elsewhere.

Hitthespot: My CR2 Ion flashlight was previously carried by Fenix-store; my products have never had anything to do with the fenix flashlight company and are designed and assembled entirely here in the US. The Ion was carried by a few different retailers but has long since been out of production and sold out, as is the Nautilus.

toby_pra & skalomax: A review of the upcoming Aeon is here. Probably best to keep discussions of two different lights located in their related threads. :)

Take care folks!

-Enrique

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've come to this party a little late.
I just acquired a Nautilus.
I am exceedingly happy with this light!
I have nothing but glowing comments and superlative adjectives to use in describing my new acquisition.
An absolute, bona-fide keeper.
Thankyou Enrique.
Cheers. :thumbsup:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey folks,

Hitthespot: My CR2 Ion flashlight was previously carried by Fenix-store; my products have never had anything to do with the fenix flashlight company and are designed and assembled entirely here in the US. The Ion was carried by a few different retailers but has long since been out of production and sold out, as is the Nautilus.

-Enrique

Enrique,

Sorry, I actually meant sold at the Fenix-Store. I should have been a little more specific.

Thank you for your posts and keeping us all informed and up to date on your projects and lights.

Bill