• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

MX25L4Cvn - New Pop Can Star

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
First impressions: MX25L4CvnT Spec 2: DriverVNX2, XPL PDT, Thrower, ANSI Lumen 5000, Lux 185K, Throw 860m.

First things: Physical stats: Same head diameter as pop can light: 2.5 inches/63.5 mm.

Weight is also in the pop can weight range: 408 grams without batteries, 552 grams/1.22 pounds with batteries.

Body diameter is also same as for most all 4 x 18650 pop can lights.

Length is longer, 5.6 inches/143 mm, but for good reason: This light throws where no usual pop can flooder has thrown before.

Basically, it is like taking the original stock Niwalker MM15 MT-G2 and keeping the head diameter, the body diameter and lumens the same, but increasing the weigh a little bit, and increasing the length some more, and the net result is the same amount of lumens are thrown in a not too narrow beam, instead of maximally widely dispersed, with very little throw.

Tint: The XP-L PDT emitters, in this light, put forth a very, very nice tint. No green whatsoever, no yellow whatsoever, no blue whatsoever. To me, it is a nice neutral, just a wee little bit on the warm side. Warm white is how I could describe it.

Beam pattern: What a nice way of putting forth 5,000 lumens in such a way that usable throw occurs, along with usable beam diameter. For the head diameter of the light, and also for the not excessive weight of the light, this light puts 5,000 lumens out there as far as they will go. Any further throw will need a larger head diameter, as well as the much heavier weight that goes along with large head diameter lights.

Driver: VNX2 in the default mode, out of the box, means that all is last mode memorized. The mode you were in when you turned it off = the mode it will be in when you turn it on. Press and hold results in ramping up through the power levels. Double click yields turbo. VNX2 also means that the Eagletac pin/twist deal is entirely bypassed.

Build quality is very nice, as usual for Eagletac. This item is in Kit form, replete with rigid holster and stainless steel bezel. The SS bezel, along with the four non-overlapping aluminum reflectors provide an attractive appearance. The ridged holster provides a secure feeling when in use: you won't feel like the light is flopping around/going to fall out.

If you are looking for usable throw with usable power with usable beam width with very nice tint, in a package that is not heavier nor wider than a pop can flooder, look no further!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!

This being my first Driver VN light, I had some new stuff to familiarize myself with. :)

Out of the box, driver VNX2 was in Mode 11.

I changed the mode to Mode 10.

Mode 11 has no strobe, double click for Turbo, press and hold to ramp up from Lowest to Turbo, in six steps.

By changing from mode 11 to mode 10, I now get Turbo via press and hold and release, and I now get strobe by double click.

Driver VN information and instructions and video: www.skylumen.com/pages/drivervn-drivervnx-programmable-circuits

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcome, MAD777.

My previous post, one word correction: By changing from mode 11 to mode 10, I now get Turbo via press and simply release, and I now get strobe by double click.

Not really. My lights are in my sig, pop can hot spots are not as intense as this light, this light has a much smaller and much brighter hot spot; this light has not much spill, and not bright spill.

My pop can flooders have less intense hot spots, they have wider but not as bright hot spots, they have very wide, very bright spill.

My SX25L3 has less lumens, less intense hot spot, similar spill situation. My EC50 has less lumens, main beam pattern is wide but not a hot spot, yes wide spill, medium brightness of spill.

My MMU-X3 has a nice defined hot spot, medium size, medium bright, with medium-duty spill.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is heat managment on this light on turbo. I just exchanged another light for this one. I ordered the throw version. I decided to go with this guy because even tho i love the m43vn to death it bakes my hands in a minute on turbo. It would make sence this light should take a little long to get hot as its larger. I just really dig the forum factor of this light.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wondering the same thing Alex.

My similar sized TN36UTvn over heats within a minute. But that's 12,000 lumen compared to this 5,000 lumen light.

I'm sure it can't run on turbo sustained, but it should last a reasonable few minutes for one to investigate their surroundings more thoroughly.

Also, it seams like the reduced lumens are more than offset by the increased throw.

In Vinh's Thrower Kombat video, the MX25L4CvnT beam looked very similar to the K60vn (dome on) to my eye. Of course the K60vn would sustain heat longer, but it's much heavier & bulky.

The K60vn (dome on) is at time 5:40 and the MX25L4CvnT is at 6:50 on the video.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is all about the laws of thermodynamics.

Heat = MCΔT

Heat = Mass times Specific heat times Temperature change.

Emitters generating a certain amount of heat, the flashlight has a certain amount of mass, the temperature of the flashlight goes up when the flashlight is turned on.

Less powerful emitters in a heavier flashlight, this happens slower.

More powerful emitters in a small flashlight, this happens faster.

Same weight flashlight, but more or less powerful emitters: the expected results occur.

Same power emitters, but the weight of the flashlight is lowered, or increased: the expected results occur.

Weight/power ratio: How much power is being generated, and how heavy or light is the flashlight; the expected results occur.

5000 lumens in a flashlight that weighs more or less, the temperature goes up as fast as can be expected.

High performance flashlights get hot faster.

Flashlights that are low powered and heavy: the flashlight gets hot slowly.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeterminate. He's having no luck with his supplier.
Patience: what a horrible thing to have to practice 

Yes... Throw verison is out of stock.. I am a flooder guy so i ordered a flood version. I have my tk16vn on me if i need some throw...

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes... Throw verison is out of stock.. I am a flooder guy so i ordered a flood version. I have my tk16vn on me if i need some throw...
I hear you. I like them all. There's already a TN36UTvn in my quiver, which is similar to the flood version of the MX25. But I don't have anything matching the throw version.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can an xph50 version be had with the original rotary ui? I am not a fan of programmable clicky ui unless they are fully programmable, like lucidrvft

MikeB.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering if xhp35 HI might work in this light with DriverVNX2, it has the 4s1p cells so voltage should be correct. It should have more lumens then the XPL PDT version and possibly more lux. Maybe it's been tried but I haven't read anything about it being tried yet.

see level

Enlightened
How long does it run on turbo, before it gets too hot?
Unbelievably, the tn36vn's have very good heat transfer. I have both the Mkr version 8000 lumens and the UT 12000 lumens and they of all my soup can lights, they can be ran the longest in turbo and high modes, But I do not have any eagletac soup cans.... To compare