My second Maglite P7 mod

Sicrall

Newly Enlightened
hi!

a very nice lamp-mod!!!
can you tell me, how long do the batteries in the lamp?
can i use the lamp for 2 hours with the same "batterypack" ?

greets,
sicrall

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure if you don't drive it at 2.8A. Driven at 2.8A the runtime with the 6 Eneloops is more than one hour.

rayman

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never used it an hour long but I wouldn't leave it on for an hour without additional cooling. I used my Maglite P7 bikelight for 1,5h and it worked just fine. But riding my bike it had additional cooling because of the airflow and the cooler outside temperature.

rayman

metalmania

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning to make one, but powered by 2 x 18650 since i already have those batteries around. As for the bike light, i also notice my light also runs cooler perched up on the handle bar due to cool air flow.

Rayman, is the cost of building a Mag2D P7 is the same as getting a Fenix TK30, coz over here it is..just wondering. Maglite2D P7 is not as popular here coz of that.

Well what ever it is i'm going for it and a Mag4D Triple P7 next, running on 4 x 18650, not sure if its enough to power up 3 X P7..any advise?

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't thought of that when I built it. I think the P7 Maglite was more expensive ;). But I really like something that I built myself :grin2:.

Think 4x 18650 will be fine but you'll need a good driver. Don't know if this driver will work for 3x P7 just ask 'Der Wichtel'. As I assume you'll use his heatsink-reflector-combination ;).

rayman

metalmania

Newly Enlightened
rayman, since its easier to go for the kit,i'll go for it...i dont need to worry about compatibility and fitting. Currency exchange is a killer :mecry:

Just want to ask everyone here if their Maglite are of different quality now a days. I have one old Maglite 2d "Made In USA" stamped on it and the quality is way better than my Maglite 4d "Pattern In USA".

The "G" font is different finishing is different and even the dent where the switch button is slightly larger.

I noticed Maglite 2d SSC P7 has a better throw than the Tri P7...is this correct? The Tri P7 could be a killer bike light. Tropical forest is a hazardous place at night, could use the extra flood.

LonghunterCO - The price is ad below

Price:
Single Mode : 20 Euro
Version A (4-mode): 25 Euro
Version B (6-mode): 25 Euro

Shipping: Europe 3.40€, rest of the world 6€.
For registered mail add 2.05€

1 EUR = 1.43270 USD According To XE.COM on the 3rd Jan 2010

Hope this helps:grin2:

Last edited:

LonghunterCO

Newly Enlightened
rayman, since its easier to go for the kit,i'll go for it...i dont need to worry about compatibility and fitting. Currency exchange is a killer :mecry:

Just want to ask everyone here if their Maglite are of different quality now a days. I have one old Maglite 2d "Made In USA" stamped on it and the quality is way better than my Maglite 4d "Pattern In USA".

The "G" font is different finishing is different and even the dent where the switch button is slightly larger.

I noticed Maglite 2d SSC P7 has a better throw than the Tri P7...is this correct? The Tri P7 could be a killer bike light. Tropical forest is a hazardous place at night, could use the extra flood.

LonghunterCO - The price is ad below

Price:
Single Mode : 20 Euro
Version A (4-mode): 25 Euro
Version B (6-mode): 25 Euro

Shipping: Europe 3.40€, rest of the world 6€.
For registered mail add 2.05€

1 EUR = 1.43270 USD According To XE.COM on the 3rd Jan 2010

Hope this helps:grin2:
Thanks.

Anyone throwa noobe a bone what is 4-mode/6-mode?

metalmania

Newly Enlightened
Hi

If you own modern flashlight you would notice that it has modes. First click of the button it would turn on at 100% brightness, second click 70% brightness and so on..this is according to the drivers program chip or mode chip.

Single mode = Like traditional flashlight just a simple On/Off
Get a driver that suit you best if you are not using the flash for anything else except for beam shot just get the On/Off version.

Driver Versions:
Single Mode: Only 100%
Version A (4-mode): 100%; 70%; 25%; 3%
Version B (6-mode): 100%; 70%; 25%; 3%; Fade in & Fade out; Strobe

I think i may deviated from the post topic a little, my apologies.

rayman

When will we get to see the Mag 2d p7 in action? any feed back on what could be improved?

Last edited:

jovanwyk

Newly Enlightened
Newb here, Thanks for the brilliant thread! It encouraged me to do a mod on my own.

3D Maglite
Heatsink & P7 DSWOJ emitter combo from Britelumens ($43).
3X D NiMH batteries.

Please help me with the following:
Do I need a aluminium reflector/UCL lens? or will the stock standard one's do?
Would I need a driver for this setup? (I don't really understand how/why a driver is needed). But if it clarifies my question a bit I only want a on/off - 100% or 0 %.

My goal is just a very decent upgrade on the standard mag LED - I don't want to pull the absolute maximum out of the P7. Kinda like a keep it straight and simple approach.

Help a man out please

Johan

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:This setup sounds pretty good.

You don't need a Aluminium reflector or glass lens as the heat of a single P7 is not that intense. The stock ones will work too. You only have to cut the cam of the stock reflector. The cam is the angular thing at the end of the reflector which lets you focus in a stock Maglite.

With your setup the Maglite will dim over time with the dropping voltage like a stock Maglite. With a driver you have a constant brightness all the time and with some drivers you also have modes and other stuff ;). But your setup will just work fine only remember that you can't use Alkalines as the voltage would be too much.

rayman

jovanwyk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info Rayman,

Won't be using any alkalines. Saw these batteries "ACCUPOWER EVOLUTION D 10000MAH NIMH LOW DISCHARGE BATTERIES". Will they do the job?

I'm going to order the Heatsink & P7 DSWOJ emitter combo from Britelumens and all the other goodies needed for the mod today! oohooo

I'll add a driver later - as "phase 2" :grin2:

Thanks once again.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know the batteries personally but here is a test about them.

Have fun with your mod and don't get too addicted ;).

rayman

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please help me with the following:
Do I need a aluminium reflector/UCL lens? or will the stock standard one's do?
You won't melt a plastic reflector, but you might get a donut hole in the hotspot with the smooth stock reflector.