My third flashlight, whitch one?

SnowJim

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I bought a Quark AA² for about 5 years ago with the help from you and its still a vary impressive flashlight! There is however a couple of things I don´t like about it :

- Turn the head to enter more modes
- Strobe is within the regular modes(how often do you really use this mode?)
- I always needs to go thought the modes twice to find the correct one
- Strong hotspot, not spreading the light as much

There is a tactical version that might be a better model for me but they are all discontinued.

For a year ago I was looking for yet another and I ended up with 2 Olight O'Pen P20(180ml), this seemde to be a good light in the beginning but after some use I found several problems :

- The qulity is not in level with the Quark, for example, the head needs to be tighten REALLY hard to work at all(first thought I got a faulted unit).
- It eats the battery like no one else. The Quark starts to tell me when its time to switch battery by flashing but the Olight just dies so often when I need it from the pocket it is dead.

So Im now looking for a new flashlight in the same level as the Quark AA2. Fourseven do not seem to sell these flashlights anymore so I have looked at other brands. One that stands out is the Fenix LD22 2015, would this be a good replacement for the Quark?

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

Local store in Sweden but I could also order online

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to $100

3) Format:

Pocket friendly, something like the Quark AA2

4) Size:

Small like Quark AA2

5) Emitter/Light source:

Dont know

6) Manufacturer:

As long as I could get it to Sweden and its a good qulity brand its okay.

7) What power source do you want to use?

AA batteries

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

no

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
I want a programmable light.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

I don't know.

15) Water resistance

IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions

In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

None

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Fenix is nice. But it does have strobe too?

If you want just a simple 2 level take a look at the Nitecore MT2A. Simple and works when you pick it up. It is not programmable though.

I helped a friend get one. And he found it to be a great task light. I describe the beam as a decent flood with a well tight defined hot spot. Build quality is on par with Fenix. Not sure if you can get or look at that locally though. Good luck.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix has a new 2xAA light coming out that sounds right up your alley.. E20 2015 edition.
Take a look at Fenix Store.
Idk, it has my attention, not that it takes a lot beyond being shiny and bright☺

1DaveN

Enlightened
Isn't Fenix also supposed to be releasing a new version of the E25 soon? I'm very happy with the one I've got, but they could improve it with a switch that's easier to find in the dark (and momentary).

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, I believe it is out now, 2015 edition.
260 burst, but side switch styled.
I just assumed rear clicky, an said E20... Both are contenders.

1DaveN

Enlightened
Dave, I believe it is out now, 2015 edition.
260 burst, but side switch styled.
I just assumed rear clicky, an said E20... Both are contenders.

It looks like it's not quite out yet - Fenix Store web site says "check back soon."

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
...There is however a couple of things I don´t like about it :

- Turn the head to enter more modes
- Strobe is within the regular modes(how often do you really use this mode?)
- I always needs to go thought the modes twice to find the correct one
- Strong hotspot, not spreading the light as much

There is a tactical version that might be a better model for me but they are all discontinued.

Fenix tends to like XPGs in their AA lights so they will also be throwy ("strong hotspot"). If you like 47s, and I do, consider their new Quark Click QK2A-X, with custom programming for ~$53 delivered (US). Has an XML for floody beam, you choose the modes you want, and sequence they scroll, and it has mode memory - I think they'll address all the issues you have with your Pro Version. Note though, the current batch has no 115 lm high mode. BTW, get a single AA body, and deep pocket carry clip for it :).

SnowJim

Newly Enlightened
Hmm so Fourseven do still sell flashlights? If I navigate to flashlights(Products > Flashlights it says that most of the are discontinued? I can however find the Quark Click QK2A-X by using google : http://www.foursevens.com/products/QK2A-X-AE-24 and it looks like it is possible to order.

Does this holds a up to date emitor? I could not find any video reviews of it so I suspect that its a new version?

I could get the old 215lm version of Fenix for about 50 EUR.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the Clicks are new Quark's - the previous Pro and Tactical versions were discontinued since Surefire sued them on a twisty bezel UI which they own a patent on. Yes, other companies used twisty bezel UIs, but are Chinese HQ and difficult to sue. I personally like the new UI, it's a decent split between the tactical and pro UIs. Yes, they are using XML2 and XPG2 updated emitters. Go for the Fenix if you like, but they are likely to be throwy with XPGs on the LD22 and I believe and XPE? on the E20.

I personally like XMLs/XPLs in heads this size (for flood) and also lower lows than Fenix offers...YMMV

1DaveN

Enlightened
I was thinking how I don't really need the new E25UE, but luckily I got myself under control and ordered one. I don't need any 14500 batteries, either, but I'm sure I'll need them by the time the light ships. :)

Edit: SnowJim - if you're interested in Fenix and can't find a local supplier, the US site will ship internationally. www.fenix-store-com.

Last edited:

PartyPete

Enlightened
Isn't Fenix also supposed to be releasing a new version of the E25 soon? I'm very happy with the one I've got, but they could improve it with a switch that's easier to find in the dark (and momentary).
I like the E25 as a basic AA light.

The new ultimate E25 that is coming out has a high mode output of something like 360 lumen with 2 AAs and I believe with a single cell rechargeable it's capable of 1000 lumen burst.

SnowJim

Newly Enlightened
hmm so the Fenix E25 Ultimate Edition is a better flashlight then the Quark Click QK2A-X? In what way is it better?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hmmmm . . . .

Tell me, please, why the new E25 UE

would be a better choice than the Fenix LD22 2015 edition ? ? ?

I'm a bit confused . . . .
:confused:

Oh, and a bit of info about myself:

I myself have NO interest in running Li-Ion cells in a AA flashlight.
Sanyo / Panasonic Eneloops are my battery of choice.

And 300 Lumens is PLENTY for my needs.

Does this now mean the LD22 2015 version
is a better choice for me ? ? ?

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

lovecpf
_

1DaveN

Enlightened
I don't recall anyone saying one thing is better than another - just pointing out lights that seem to answer the original question.

SnowJim

Newly Enlightened
People seems to be vary excited about the E25 and it does state a lot more lumens. I was however not clear if it was a better choise then the Quark and LD22. If there is no drawback, then I will order the E25.