Need a light for a small child 2-4 years old

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
My daughter is almost three and my son is almost 1. I want to get my daughter, and maybe later my son, a flashlight for her to use. So obviously something simple, 1 mode is fine.

I want an AA format so I can use rechargeable
Something not too heavy so that it wont be too cumbersome.
The button cannot be too hard to push otherwise she cannot turn it on. The inova X1 is a thought but it is hard to push the button.
She can operate a twisty
Don't need modes, a high and a low though may still work.
USA made preferred but I understand USA brands don't make many AA lights.
I don't want a cheap crappy kids light that is weak and breaks.
Plastic or metal is fine... Think that covers all but one feature.

Here may be the tougher one, anyone know of a light with an auto off timer so that if she turns on the light and forgets it doesn't kill the battery?

Oh and Hello Kitty is at all possible. If not then maybe Pink.

Thanks in advance.

shichuhei

Newly Enlightened
I did see a Hello Kitty flashlight over at Toys R Us... link:
Link Removed as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Still my all-time kid's favorite: the Gerber Recon - 1xAA, colored lenses built in, 5MM LED that won't blind anyone, run it from a NiMH and it doesn't matter if they leave it on, ~$20.

reconk.jpg

stienke

Enlightened
Not AA but AAA (eneloop AAA) , Fenix EO1 , Bombproof and avaiable in purple finish or a EO5 , brighter and also a childproof light (and also purple)

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
E01 requires too much torque to turn on for a 1 year old. My 3 year old has an L2P single mode. My 1 year old has an L1P single mode.

Nice and simple for "monster hunting"

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Check out the PALights (also known as Safe-Light). The "Star" model can be an excellent choice for young children. The auto-off and constant moonlight mode are quite useful. Uses 9-volt instead of AA, with rubber casing.

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
Not AA but AAA (eneloop AAA) , Fenix EO1 , Bombproof and avaiable in purple finish or a EO5 , brighter and also a childproof light (and also purple)

+1 on the E01 here is my 3 year old granddaughter building a fort with her purple fenix E01

qe9ajapu.jpg

M.S

Enlightened
My kids wont accept any dim lights after they have seen the big xm-l lights in action. But the 2 year old does like the Surefire E1l, it has nice defined spot on the wall even on 3 lumens setting. My 5 year old uses the light mostly for reading, so it's usually the same hds she has used for last 4 years, I had it in my pocket when she was born and gave it to her later.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Duracell Voyager.
Good grip, easy button, 2xAA.
Nice incan light.
I have had one for many years, has been in the car and around the house light before I found CPF.
Durable.
I have changed to a Terralux LED bulb but for kids maybe the original bulb is better.
My girls prefer the warmer incan light and also the dimmer light when they play in smaller spaces.

Alan_L

Newly Enlightened
When my son was about 2 (he is now 3) he claimed my Energizer 1AA Tactical LED light as his own. I didn't pick it out for him, he chose it out of the flashlights I had on my nightstand (funny how that happens with kids). For whatever reason he found that light was the easiest for him to turn off and on. Maybe it was the combination of the aggressive knurling and soft clickie switch. Its fairly bright for a child but he knows enough not to look directly at it or shine it in anyone's eyes or it gets taken away immediately. I feed it with a LSD rechargable AA and if anything happens to it they are still for sale at Target so its easy to replace.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Went to the hello kitty store but no hello kitty flashlights. I don't want to buy a hello kitty light on the interenet because I suspect it is a piece of junk.

So my backup plan is to look for a pink or purple flashlight. Found some in AAA but not any good ones in AA. Streamlight had one in AA but it was xenon bulb. I could find any number of decent inexpensive AA flashlights but having trouble finding a pink or purple one.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I might have to end up with a AAA light because I can't find any good AA lights in pink or purple. I try to keep most of my lights and electronics AA compatabl, I don't have many AAA rechargeables.