Need a tactical/EDC 18650 powered light. PD35? Nitecore P12? -HELP!-

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened

Been looking for a while at lights and I haven't kept up for the past couple years! I'm ready to pull the trigger on something and haven't been able to decide. One caveat with the list down below is that I NEED something with a deep pocket clip or one that has an aftermarket one available. I've been looking real heavy at the PD35 and P12 but am open to any recommendations!

(already have an 18650 charger and batteries, which influences my power source)

Edit: Also looking at the Nitecore P20/P20UV!

FINAL EDIT!: I purchased a BLF A6 Special Edition and a Nitecore P12!

tl;dr of my recommendation checklist:
Up to 1000 lumens would be nice
More floody than spot.
Deep carry clip
Tailswitch
Medium Size
Multi-mode
Up to $100

Thanks in advance!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $100.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

(This is going in the pocket.)
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

I want 1-1000 lumens with steps in between.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

(Either of the ones below are fine, but I do want a tail clicky.)
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).

____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Pocket/belt clip

Last edited:

hoop762

Newly Enlightened
I have both a pd35 and a p12.

I prefer the pd35 for a few reasons. The body is a little smaller diameter than the p12. Better for Pocket carry. I like the variable strobe fenix uses as well. Pd35 also has more brightness levels to choose from.

P12 has its positives too. Has the ability to instant strobe from off. Also, what I wish the pd35 really had, is the built in voltage meter. Little larger diameter body, but still easy to pocket carry.

However, neither of them carry particularly deep in in the pocket. I'm sure someone will chime in with deep carry options.

Both are fantastic lights and would serve you well.

Good luck and come back and let us know what you get!!

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BLF A6 Special Edition might meet your needs. It's a 1x18650 tube light that features an XP-L emitter. It uses custom drivers and software that were designed by BLF members. It is available in cool, neutral and warm tints. I have the 3D neutral.

The group sale has gone public, so you can get the coupon without joining the group buy. Price with coupon: $25 USD.

You can learn more, and get the coupon code, here.

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input, guys!

I'll check out that BLF light. Seems like a great deal for the price. Might pick one up as an extra anyways for $25.

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input, I definitely will!
I have both a pd35 and a p12.

I prefer the pd35 for a few reasons. The body is a little smaller diameter than the p12. Better for Pocket carry. I like the variable strobe fenix uses as well. Pd35 also has more brightness levels to choose from.

P12 has its positives too. Has the ability to instant strobe from off. Also, what I wish the pd35 really had, is the built in voltage meter. Little larger diameter body, but still easy to pocket carry.

However, neither of them carry particularly deep in in the pocket. I'm sure someone will chime in with deep carry options.

Both are fantastic lights and would serve you well.

Good luck and come back and let us know what you get!!

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older Olight S30 is going for cheap these days.
Slim form factor, reasonably deep carry clip.

+1 for the Fenix PD35, it may not be petite, but it is a very worthy edc IMO.

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, that's worth looking up!

That magnetic tailcap is pretty sweet too.

The older Olight S30 is going for cheap these days.
Slim form factor, reasonably deep carry clip.

+1 for the Fenix PD35, it may not be petite, but it is a very worthy edc IMO.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check Gearbest, they've the same one in titanium on sale currently.
Also a small pocket bottom light, they've the S15R on cheap there as well.
Just saying.

Afroderp

Newly Enlightened
While I'm still looking for another EDC light, I did pick one of those up for a backup! Just ordered. Thanks for the heads up.

The BLF A6 Special Edition might meet your needs. It's a 1x18650 tube light that features an XP-L emitter. It uses custom drivers and software that were designed by BLF members. It is available in cool, neutral and warm tints. I have the 3D neutral.

The group sale has gone public, so you can get the coupon without joining the group buy. Price with coupon: $25 USD.

You can learn more, and get the coupon code, here.

B0rt

Newly Enlightened
The guys over at BLF say the Eagle Eyes F35 is a inexpensive alternative to the PD35, although not as bright (700-800 lm)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I'm still looking for another EDC light, I did pick up [a BLF A6] for a backup! Just ordered. Thanks for the heads up.

Sweet! Hope you like it.

The BLF A6 Special Edition is a burner with a copper heat sink and a direct-drive FET for turbo. After a spring-bypass, and using high-drain IMR batteries, some at BLF are reporting 5-6A and 1500+ lumens! Due to heat build-up, turbo is limited to only 30 seconds. After that, the A6 steps down to a lower mode. It steps down further when the battery get low, eventually cutting off completely at 2.8v.

Mine is the stock 3D version (without a spring-bypass). I figure it gets around 1100+ lumens on an IMR battery. To my eye, it is very much neutral. One tester reports, "the Color Rendering Index (Ra) of my 3D version (mode 7/turbo) is around 70 to 72 (max), with a color temperature around 4750K."

Last edited:

Latest posts