need efficient 4000LM

Axkiker

Enlightened
So I have been working with a design that utalized the bridgelux arrays... I was planning on using the unit that produced 1320LM at 12.8V 1.05A

That would give me roughly 3960LM if I used 3 in series

As I am learning about drivers etc I have found that by running this setup off a hyperboost driver being pushed with a 12V battery it puts me pulling around 3.7A

Thats a little high for my liking so it got me thinking abou efficiency..

Any thoughts on some different LEDs that may be more efficient. I would like to keep the setup using 3-4 leds however im not against 6 or so if it really makes a difference

any thoughts

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Top flux SST-90's are at most something like ~10% more efficient than a Bridgelux C1202. Not worth it in my book, but it depends on how much improvement you need.

Cree XP-G / R5s should get you about a 40% efficiency improvement over the C1202. There's a 3-up package that you should look at if space is tight.

Axkiker

Enlightened
Yeah I checked ont he sst-90 and it didnt look to be all that much different from the bridgelux... plus the way its made would make my project harder to build.

I was unable to find anything on the other cree you mentioned

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
XP-G? You serious? :D

The Bridgelux cool whites are all about 90 lumens per watt, and I haven't seen much in terms of different flux bins. I know they exist, but you just don't see them. On the good side of this, there's no worrying about what flux you actually have - smirk.

XP-G R5s climb higher than 130 lumens per watt, so, that might solve your problem. Several places sell 3-up XP-Gs. Cutter actually has a 4-up, but I get annoyed if I'm on their web-site for more than 5 seconds.

Oh....wait, LEDsupply has a XP-G 3-up, and the part number says they should be R5's (XPGWHT-L1-0000-00H51). Driven at an amp that's getting pretty close to the C1202 you are using, and I believe the trade-off is a few volts less with the XP-G array. Would appreciate it somebody could verify these quick numbers.

Hope that help. Yeah...Bridgelux needs to upgrade their cool-white tech, but I know they just did it with their neutral and warm-whites, so I assume cool-white is next.

Axkiker

Enlightened
XP-G? You serious? :D

The Bridgelux cool whites are all about 90 lumens per watt, and I haven't seen much in terms of different flux bins. I know they exist, but you just don't see them. On the good side of this, there's no worrying about what flux you actually have - smirk.

XP-G R5s climb higher than 130 lumens per watt, so, that might solve your problem. Several places sell 3-up XP-Gs. Cutter actually has a 4-up, but I get annoyed if I'm on their web-site for more than 5 seconds.

Oh....wait, LEDsupply has a XP-G 3-up, and the part number says they should be R5's (XPGWHT-L1-0000-00H51). Driven at an amp that's getting pretty close to the C1202 you are using, and I believe the trade-off is a few volts less with the XP-G array. Would appreciate it somebody could verify these quick numbers.

Hope that help. Yeah...Bridgelux needs to upgrade their cool-white tech, but I know they just did it with their neutral and warm-whites, so I assume cool-white is next.

sorry I was searching cree r/5's

So I looked up some of the cree xp's Tell me if im on the right track

XPGWHT-L1-R250-00F51

If im reading all that correctly it looks to produce roughly 300 Lm at 1A 3.375V

so that puts me needing roughly 13 of them.

so if my math is correct that would draw a little over 4A from the battery if using a hyperboost

If I used the bridgelux (1320Lm 12.8V 1.05A) I would be at 3.73A using the same driver.

Where am I off???

spencer

Enlightened
Well an XP-G R5 produces 350 lumens at 1A so to get 4000 lumen you need 11. With a Vf of 3.25V at 1A.... 3.25x11=35.75 volts. Information taken from here.