Need help finding an EDC knife

rb765

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for recommendations for an EDC knife to be carried tip up in my left pocket. It needs to be a smooth flipper like the Ken Onion Chive and be thin and elegant like the chive to wear with dress clothes. The problem is that most of the knives that I found that have the reversible clips carry tip down. If it is an assisted opening, all the better. I checked with Kershaw, but the only knives they have that will do the left hand tip up are extremely thick. That may work with jeans, but unfortunately, I have to wear slacks to work most days, so I prefer a slicker knife. I prefer the knife to have the bottom flipper and not just a stud or hole for opening.

Thanks everyone for the help with this.

rb765

Newly Enlightened
I managed to find one, but it's a little more than I hoped to spend. It is the ZT S30V. Great little knife, but at $180, just a touch too rich for me. Any other suggestions?

skyrocket22

Newly Enlightened
Which ZT was it? I have the 0350, great knives. I wanted the 0300 but a little to big for me. Good luck. How about a Spiderco? My brother's had one for years.

rb765

Newly Enlightened
Its the 0770CF. I used to carry a Spyderco Delica. Love the steel. Held it's edge forever. I was looking for an assisted flipper though and have not seen anything with the flipper bump coming from them.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its the 0770CF. I used to carry a Spyderco Delica. Love the steel. Held it's edge forever. I was looking for an assisted flipper though and have not seen anything with the flipper bump coming from them.

Gonna have to go back to the ZT 0350. Best knife I've ever owned. Still amazed at how smooth it is with absolutely no play in it. Very fine craftsmanship.

I'm not sure what your max budget is but you can find new 0350s for 140 or even lower if you find it right. Friend bought one for 120 a few weeks back after playing with mine for way too long.

rb765

Newly Enlightened
The 350 is a little bigger than I was looking for, but I like the blade better than the 770. I did find one place that had the 770 with a different handle, but it was aluminum. Now if I could find one with a Micarta or G10 handle, I might have to bite the bullet and just plunk down for one.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 350 is a little bigger than I was looking for, but I like the blade better than the 770. I did find one place that had the 770 with a different handle, but it was aluminum. Now if I could find one with a Micarta or G10 handle, I might have to bite the bullet and just plunk down for one.

I was used to carrying a mini grip for a long time but the 0350 grew on me fast. Seems normal size now.

Didn't even know they had come out with the 700 series until reading that but I agree I wouldn't ideally go for the aluminum.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Gerber EAB series is one of the things I frequently carry in the 5th pocket of jeans.

It is a swappable utility blade knife. Cut wire, scrape metal, whatever. Totally ruin the edge and touch it up or chuck it and throw a new one in there.

Tip: Using a cold blue treatment (gun product) to preserve blade life, retard corrosion, and keep the edge sharper a little longer.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you require a slim profile then a Spyderco Para2 will suit you. Yes indeed it hase a thumb hole and I too detest spyderco by having that but it does have its pros too. 1stly one can use the full length of the blade and there is no thumbstat to snag during heavy cutting. Save up for more budget then you have more option.