Need simple-operation flashlight

Beckler

Enlightened
Looking for medium sized light, say 1 or 2-AA size, though rechargeable would be ok too. But the problem is it should have a side switch and be very simple to operate. It's for a senior who has some memory problems and so he's not going to be able to use any modes. Ideal would be something like: one side-button that just single clicks to cycle thru high-low-off. Anything involving press & hold, or more than one button, etc. won't work. Does such a light exist? I can't find one yet, though I haven't looked at hardware store junk - was hoping to get something high-quality. Thx.

blademan

Enlightened
The Xeno E03 is a simple 1 AA flashlight but the switch is on the back. It has three modes starting in medium.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of too many high quality lights these days with a side switch?

The Fenix E25 is and is nice but the switch is electronic and needs to be held for a second or so to turn the light on.
I think most side switch lights these days will be electronic switches too as the switch is just a weak point in the design of a light and mechanical side switches seem to be only in crappy lights that I know of.

I a button on the rear is possible then there are many,many lights that will serve well.

I would go Streamlight just for reliability and the forward clicky switch they have I think.

What about a C-cell Maglite?

Beckler

Enlightened
Thanks blademan, but yes a side switch really is a requirement. And I mention medium size because I did get him a 1AA jetbeam before and it's a little small and easy to lose, so probably better is medium size, be that 2AA or 3AAA or whatever.

AVService, a new 2C mag is interesting and would do just fine if it was pocketable. :) A little big...

Speaking of maglites, on their site is a new-design 2-D cell. Very nice looking and 500+ Lm. It has something called "function sets" and was literally exactly what I was just thinking this morning should exist because of what I'm looking for. You can essentially set in deeper menus the overall function of the light, what single-click does, etc. Innovation from Maglite? WOW, finally. :D

Last edited:

rpm00

Enlightened
I've been looking at the E25 lately too. Looks like a good pretty solid basic 2xAA light.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E25 is an excellent light, indeed!

If the person receiving it can remember to press and hold to turn it on and off, then it could definitely be a winner here.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
Olight st25 is an awesome light. You don't need to hold down the side switch to turn it on like the E25 does, but to cycle through the modes, you need to hold it down. It's opposite to the Fenix E25 in this way. It's a much floodier light than the E25 if he'd like that.

Beckler

Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas all. I'll look at the hardware store ones but he does want something bright, so not sure. E25 I'd looked at but it doesn't have simple on/off (needs press & hold). But that might work; hard to say.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the ideas all. I'll look at the hardware store ones but he does want something bright, so not sure. E25 I'd looked at but it doesn't have simple on/off (needs press & hold). But that might work; hard to say.

You could try the E25 with him; if he doesn't like it you could try a different model with him...and then you'd have yourself one fine light..!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking Sunwayman C15 Dolphin. I have one personally. Great little light. Super easy to use. Best part is you can attach a lanyard to the rear and that is perfect for a older person. I even got my mom one. She is over 75, with arthritis and loves it. It is basically a 3 mode light. It does have strobes and blinkes, but they are "hidden". So far my mom has not found them, even after showing her just in case! lol

It runs on a single AA. It loves a Energizer lithium. Seems like it runs forever.

It is built like a tank. I strongly suggest the lanyard. I attached a glow in the dark zipper pull from MSR to help her locate it in the dark. I also made a glow powder epoxy bead that I put on it. She can easily find it in the dark now.

Anyways, good luck.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Streamlight just because they are about as simple to operate and as rugged as one can be.

As long as he can handle the tail switch(and I bet he can)you can make it a simple single mode light if you want.
The forward click switch is ideal as the moment he presses the button there is light.
Streamlight are about as rugged as any light out there,USA made and you can get them a lot of places too.

I just can't find a single side switch light that I would suggest and I have been searching some Today since first seeing this.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E25 is an excellent light, indeed!

If the person receiving it can remember to press and hold to turn it on and off, then it could definitely be a winner here.

Just use a label maker with a "cheat sheet" and get the E25.

Done deal.

ven

Flashaholic
I have a couple of e25 flashlights,both the later burst ones and happy with them. I have one at home for general use and one for work use. UI is simple enough,takes 30 seconds of playing around to get used to. I say this as press hold for a second ish to turn on,any longer it goes to monetary burst(turbo). Once its on,any press just advances the modes,3 of,cycles low to high etc. At any time press and hold for burst,now as press and hold turns light off,it goes off for a split second before burst............hard to explain :laughing: ,once released it goes back to the mode you were on. Hence 30 seconds of playing around,its a great light,nice size,fits in pockets easy enough and so far good run times on eneloops.

Dave gives it the thumbs up

In hand size

Next to some AA/14500 for size

For the money me and Dave say go for it:nana:

Beckler

Enlightened
Energizer hard case pro inspection light ticks all the boxes. If not that one then try Dorcy, or Rayovac.

The Energizer Pro Task light is the one I'll probably get. Big button, 250 Lm, has pretty much what I originally wanted, except the quality level. But it's not complete junk, either (supposed lifetime guarantee; didn't read details). Thanks for the suggestion. My next choice was the Zebralight SC62 because that interface will work I think and it doesn't have memory. Having memory on a flashlight is a problem for someone with memory problems. :) Because when it comes on, assuming it's bright enuf to see, they will think that's it. But the zebra is extremely pricey.

The E25 won't work because of the button holding stuff, now that I think of it. I wonder why the Fenix, Nitecores etc. of the world with their 40000-model lineups, apparently don't have a single one that's designed this situation, for older people or those with other disability, etc. Or even non-flashlight enthusiasts, who aren't interested in button holding, double-clicking and hidden modes. As I mentioned earlier, it could be also be solved easily with more than one "global" mode available.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Energizer Pro Task light is the one I'll probably get. Big button, 250 Lm, has pretty much what I originally wanted, except the quality level. But it's not complete junk, either (supposed lifetime guarantee; didn't read details). Thanks for the suggestion. My next choice was the Zebralight SC62 because that interface will work I think and it doesn't have memory. Having memory on a flashlight is a problem for someone with memory problems. :) Because when it comes on, assuming it's bright enuf to see, they will think that's it. But the zebra is extremely pricey.

The E25 won't work because of the button holding stuff, now that I think of it. I wonder why the Fenix, Nitecores etc. of the world with their 40000-model lineups, apparently don't have a single one that's designed this situation, for older people or those with other disability, etc. Or even non-flashlight enthusiasts, who aren't interested in button holding, double-clicking and hidden modes. As I mentioned earlier, it could be also be solved easily with more than one "global" mode available.
I sense reading this that you have never tried most of these lights?

There is no way the ZL can be considered a simple interface compared to the Fenix here or for that matter any other light I know of?

The Fenix is about as simple as it comes given your insistence that a side switch is needed for some reason on a quality made light.
You merely hold the switch for a second instead of tapping it to tell the light you mean to turn it on,it is not some process that is not intuitive or challenging to remember which is exactly what using a ZL can be like to some at times.

I own several of each of these too and am not just guessing about the interface issues,I love my ZL but would not give one to most people and expect them to be able to use it except on high even with explanation and practice.

Further the paradigm of a button on the rear of the light is about as natural as it gets I think and there are so many great lights that meet your criteria except for them having a rear switch that you are doing yourself a huge disservice by not considering them as well.
How much more simple cold it get than simply pressing a soft button to turn a light on and off and it seems pretty obvious to me that a rear button is a button too!

I have asked my Mother about these things many times and have her using rear switch lights with no issue at all and trust me,I think I understand where you are coming from with your wants too.

So I really think you might find changing this one requirement a little about the switch location will open a whole world of better quality possibilities for you,otherwise you will be forced to choose lower quality designs.

Just the way it is it seems.

Beckler

Enlightened
You are correct that I haven't used the zebra or the Fenix, but I have read how the UI works. I don't think you're appreciating that this is for someone with failing memory. The Fenix may or may not work, but very likely not. He may figure it out fairly easily each time he uses it, but that's not what I want. I could keep it for myself but I don't really want it for the same reason, and I had considered buying it in the past. I don't like the press & hold on both power on & off - it seems very clumsy, but that's a personal choice. So yes, the ZL on high would work, basically as a single-level light. Single clicking to high every time, is the most intuitive option - I don't think one can debate that. The SC62d is 320Lm High so that should be fine. Seems ridiculous on such a nice light but as I say I'm not seeing any other option yet except the Energizer - which I think does makes more sense for a non-flashlight enthusiast who won't understand spending $100 on a light :) Their useless website doesn't explain the interface but I assume it must be forced H-L-off sequence. Plus I can also return it easily if it doesn't work out.

With regard to the rear switch, he has specifically mentioned that he dislikes the rear button that's now common on most lights (which he has used), so that eliminates that option.

Last edited: