Need to scare off some vandals

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I agree that the Vector Power On Board HID is a great choice (I own it), as it is extremely blinding and has a throw of around 1 mile. However, there is an even more powerful spotlight for only $40 from Advance Auto Parts (it can also be bought online) called the Professional's Favorite 17.5 million candlepower spotlight. It has a brighter hotspot than the Power On Board HID and a more intense beam (more throw), so it is more blinding.
Plus, the Vector takes 15 seconds to warm up to full brightness whereas the Professional's Favorite gets to full brightness instantly.

I find the Professional's Favorite to be more impressive as it out throws the Vector by a noticeable amount, and would definitely be perfect for you!
The Pro's Favorite has 2 brightness settings, a 30 minute runtime, and is rechargeable.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or the coleman 530 lumen spotlight which i think used to be sold at Walmart but i found a link here, it says out of stock online but that may mean its available at the store.

Actually scaring off vandals may be better done with....... warning shots?? or a laser pointer coupled with a spotlight?

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imagine stepping out on your porch and whipping this puppy up to your shoulder and hitting the power button......

Guaranteed to make 'em dirty their shorts. Of course building one is a little outside the $75 price range.

Darn!! That is SWEET!!! Of course it would get me arrested in singapore if i had one of these

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imagine stepping out on your porch and whipping this puppy up to your shoulder and hitting the power button......

Guaranteed to make 'em dirty their shorts. Of course building one is a little outside the $75 price range.

woah......and i have a 6D mag sitting around....how does one start building that?

Crenshaw

steve6690

Enlightened
The 'ole chainsaw and hockey mask combo would probably work...run towards them screaming and watch them crap their pants :devil:. If you're lucky they'll stall the car and you can then set about modifying it into a convertible while they're sitting in it. I don't think they'll come back again...
But that's above your budget, so have you thought about a fixed flood on a PIR ? Something like the generic cheap security lights you find on most houses, but I'm sure the CPF collective can come up with something truly bright. Aimed correctly, it might blind them and prevent them accurately throwing the eggs.

**obviously I'm not serious about the chainsaw and mask thing ** you run the risk of getting into serious trouble.

Last edited:

tb2776

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your suggestions! Once again, the CPF community helps a fellow member out!

If I get a stealth/game cam, I'll post pics!

lightplay22

Enlightened
A cheap rechargeable spotlight will turn their night into day for about $20.00 or so. You could also put one of those spinning lawn sprinklers and turn it on after you light um up so they would have a damp ride home.

steve6690

Enlightened
You don't stand a chance of getting outside and turning the flashlight on them before the eggs hit your house. Trust me, I know from personal experience. They'll probably be gone before you even clap eyes on them..
So, if you want to identify them you need a camera that works in the dark, and a light source to illuminate them sufficiently. And the whole process needs to be automatic eg on a movement sensor.

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
How about a small sign put somewhere visable that reads "By the time you have read this you have already been filmed"

rala

Newly Enlightened
i would lean more towards a hidden camera. then give whatever images you capture to your local pd/sheriffs, kind of like a good neighbor who witnessed the event. in my opinion, you flashing them with a light is "confrontational" and if they get caught after the fact, they might as well assume it was you who ratted them out and then they might retaliate. i'm all for blinding punks, but this is your home. you don't want trouble at home.

ps-if its just a group of little kids, then i say go for it. light em up. if they are older (teenagers, young adults), i would have to go the camera route.

be safe,
rala

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll echo lightplay22's suggestion of a cheap rechargeable spotlight. I've had one from Big Lots for years. Of course any excuse for a better flashlight is good enough for me.

Geoff

D-Dog

Enlightened
i would lean more towards a hidden camera. then give whatever images you capture to your local pd/sheriffs, kind of like a good neighbor who witnessed the event. in my opinion, you flashing them with a light is "confrontational" and if they get caught after the fact, they might as well assume it was you who ratted them out and then they might retaliate. i'm all for blinding punks, but this is your home. you don't want trouble at home.

ps-if its just a group of little kids, then i say go for it. light em up. if they are older (teenagers, young adults), i would have to go the camera route.

be safe,
rala

I am going to agree with rala here in that a stealthy camera is a much better option. They already know where you live and you don't want tensions any higher as you don't know who they know. With a camera with IR night vision (so they don't even see it as mentioned prior), you could hand over the images and that would be the end of it. If they are kids just being kids... a trip to the police station would probably be enough to scare them away from doing it again.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been in the same shoes as the OP. I nailed 'em with my Regalight WT-1 once (through the window) mid way through egging and they scattered. I subsequently installed a motion sensing light on the back of the house with the lights pointing at the woods the kids hid in. That plus the house next to mine being finished and now occupied seems to have eliminated the problem.

It's probably far easier to make your house less attractive to them, so they'll egg someone else than it is to scare them off. The problem with scaring them off is they may take a liking to irritating you and give you even more attention in the future.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
HID personal lighting is an option.
Mainly I suggest High powered lights around the house, motion activation is an option. You also could use some recording cameras (VHS or DVD) several cams, one at tag level near street.

Run recorders 24/7 even in darkness as they have audio. Save recordings, of course digital's easier to store.

Sadly, do not expect that local law enf will view this as a high priority case. Even with video evidence:scowl: your problem may not stop, AND as stated in other repelies, could escalate since the perps know where you live and may enjoy ramping up the abuse.

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I don't know if I'd ever rely on a light to scare people away.

But to answer your original question, a Fenix TK10 is an excellent bump-in-the-night-light. I would only rely on it to let me see what's out there however, not to create fear and panic in my enemy.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
a SF g3 would probably do it for you. that p90 LA has lots of flood too. if that does'nt get you there you could add an LF e0-9 or a p91 LA for more throw. that, and the other LA's should stay in your price range.

From what I've heard the P91 throws about the same as the P90 same with P60 vs. P61, the higher power bulb simply offers more flood / bigger hot spot, not much higher Lux. Though I have also heard that LF assembles offer better throw then stock:).

Last edited:

D-Dog

Enlightened
I think we all be able to provide more specific and detailed advice if you give a description of the vandals (assuming you have seen them before). Did they drive up to your house or did they run through the local woods? How close do you think they got to your house before they commenced fire? Could you give rough estimation of their height judging from teh shadows/whatever you saw?

Sadly, as mentioned above me, even if you have video proof of what they did, I doubt the local authorities would do much, however, I can't see any harm in capturing incriminating footage of them.

lightplay22

Enlightened
I would be tempted to get me some night vision goggles and a CO2 bb gun and join in with the fun, video the supprise on their faces! LOL. Paintball would work also but it would be less stealthy.

Seriously, motion detector lighting would probably be the friendliest way to make them go somewhere else.

g36pilot

Enlightened
Set up a lighted perimeter with motion detectors? :)

Combined with a perimeter fence to control approaches this worked for me. My neighbors were still bothered until the thieves were later caught stealing a car.