Need to scare off some vandals

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
As mossy said a gun usually gets the point across far quicker than anything else...Just rack the action on a shotgun and they will run. fireing it will cause issues if they decide to go to the police with it (lie and say they were just walking down the street untill they were fired at) unfortunatly unless your in a really rural area criminals usually get believed first

DM51

Flashaholic
Suggestions offered here will need to remain within the bounds of legality and reasonable behavior, or the thread may have to close.

Please bear in mind that what may be legal in one place may NOT be elsewhere. It will be best to avoid discussion of the use of firearms, as that is not what the OP was asking about - nor is it a topic that belongs in this forum.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I would not like a HID light because of the warm up time. But you can bring out the old thor 15 million CP light since it is plenty bright and it is a incan. Sure it is big, but if you have it right by your front door, they won't stand a chance.

I also agree though with the fact that if they are teenagers, they might get more of the thrill from you chasing them off with a light then just purely egging your house. I would start out with a light, and then if they do it again get the camera and take it to the police. If they won't do anything I guess you could take their picture to the local high school and see if any administrators recognize any of them so that you could talk to their parents. That probably would not work in a bigger city though.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
tail them back, take note of where they stay, coupled with video evidence (if they're teenagers) would be enuf to get them into some serious doo doo with their folks.

That would also send them a message that you know where THEY live

Burgess

Flashaholic
to TB2776 --

Sorry to hear about your vandalism problem.

Various solutions have been offered so far.

Here's one, which just might prove effective . . . .

Host a CPF get-together ! :)

With the high-candlepower "fireworks" we'd bring to the scene,

the "perps" would all run home like scared rabbits,

with Bad Sunburns ! :devil:

:cool:
_

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
to TB2776 --

Sorry to hear about your vandalism problem.

Various solutions have been offered so far.

Here's one, which just might prove effective . . . .

Host a CPF get-together ! :)

With the high-candlepower "fireworks" we'd bring to the scene,

the "perps" would all run home like scared rabbits,

with Bad Sunburns ! :devil:

:cool:
_

HECK YA!

or....
somehow borrow...
one of these: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2720390

Last edited:

ugrey

Enlightened
Go to Radio Shack, get a cordless driveway alarm. It detects people as well as cars. You can point the detection unit or units across your yard, not just the drive way. You can buy multiple detection units for your base inside the house. When it detects someone you will get a loud beep from your base unit. Buy a 1 to 15 Million candle power rechargeable spotlight for when the beep goes off. Forget anything less than a 350 lumen M4 SureFire or a 500 lumen M6 SureFire or a one million candlepower spotlight ($5 to $20, the cheapest alternative, it will do the job). Trust me, I live on a dead end street and I have chased off more riff raff than you have fingers and toes times about 10. You want EXTREMELY bright right NOW, NOT an ARC light and not a SF 6p or even 9P. Look at my list of lights below and know that the only lights I take outside when my driveway alarm goes off are the SF M6, M4 or spotlight. Some pepper spray and something that goes BOOM are always a good idea also. Be safe. It could be a racoon, a pack of wild dogs, a lost pizza delivery guy, egg throwers, burglers, car thieves or Charlie Manson and his "family". You never know What you are going to find.

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened
While cruising the back roads yesterday, I crested a hill and saw a large, professionally-looking sign hanging on the side of the road:

"No Trespassing. Firearms and Video Cameras in Use."

This was a public road, and I certainly had no ill intent... but you'd better believe that I spun that car around and headed the other direction!

I like the idea of a driveway alarm. My job often involves approaching unfamiliar houses in the middle of the woods while driving a government vehicle, and nothing says "this landowner doesn't want you around" like visible motion sensors along the driveway.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
My house has been egged three times this year, and twice last year. I want to purchase a flashlight to reach the street, which is about 60-70 feet away to scare off any vandals and to allow me to identify either their car or their license plate. We live in a rural area with very little ambient light (no streetlights).

What would you suggest I try? Let's try to keep the flashlight price to a reasonable $75.

I appreciate your advice and feedback!

-- Tony

Reading through the advice given I'm sure some of it would be effective. I'm just wondering if it's getting a bit over the top. Cameras, spotlights, firearms and motion detectors all because of 3 lots of eggs a year being thrown at the house... might a window cleaner be cheaper? ;)

I have similar problems which have been going on for a few years now. I live on a rough estate with a lot of bored kids, and usually they scarper when I walk out of the house. The lights with built in motion sensors are useless here as they just either become targets, or the kids have fun setting them off.

As these kids are in a car, I think your original idea of using a light to get their licence number is a good idea. It would give the police something to go on, and also if they see you taking their number it may get them worried. I wouldn't recommend getting too close to them, but I doubt they're hardened criminals if they're throwing eggs.

If you're still going with your original idea, I think anything bright with decent throw should reach the licence plate at that distance. Also, I don't think you need a super-bright light to scare them off - just anything bright enough to light them up and take their anonimity should be enough. If that doesn't bother them, a brighter light probaby wouldn't either.

Good luck with it anyway, I know how annoying it can be. :)