New Cibie Oscar LEDs!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
This is really exciting, BUT... it seems even the great Cibie has succumbed to the "blue light" fad. Why are these offered at 6000K, and will there ever be any offered at about 4200K?

I'm just not ready to dump a big pile of money on obnoxious blue lights.

Marcturus

Enlightened
Last time I looked, the lowest standard Luxeon Altilon bin was 5200K, not much different from Osram's automotive Os... equivalents.

Last edited:

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
So you're saying I'm not likely to see LED driving lights with a color temp below 5200K?

Is that also true for LED headlamps like JW Speaker and Trucklite?

I believe the Starr HID lights in my Crown Vic are around 4200-4300K, and I actually swapped bulbs to get that color temp, back when I bought Soltek Fuego HID lights and Baja Designs sent 5000K by mistake (I think they started selling all 5000K shortly after that).

I have LED flashlights that are "white, not blue" and have good CRI. I would hope we are offered similar automotive options.

Maybe halogen isn't so bad, as long as one has the alternator power.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
So you're saying I'm not likely to see LED driving lights with a color temp below 5200K?

Is that also true for LED headlamps like JW Speaker and Trucklite? ....
I have the JWS 8700 Evolution-2s on the Jeep and they look 6000-ish.

I think they'll figure out a better color eventually.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blue and yellow might make green though.

My wife got really annoyed when I said, in a voice approximating the little girl in the Ziploc commercial: "Green and red make YELLOW!" and then asked her how a TV set could have *four* primary colors, since there are only three (the commercial being for the Sharp Quattron). Additive/subtractive colors and all that.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
My wife got really annoyed when I said, in a voice approximating the little girl in the Ziploc commercial: "Green and red make YELLOW!" and then asked her how a TV set could have *four* primary colors, since there are only three (the commercial being for the Sharp Quattron). Additive/subtractive colors and all that.
Don't annoy the wife; it never ends well.

I told my wife once that there were only three proper colors for a Ducati. Red, black, and red. She didn't get it, got annoyed, and still is annoyed.
I didn't get my Ducati, btw.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
So...are the CIBIE LED headlights better than the JW Speaker 8700's?

I hear there's a new generation of the 8700's out too?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
So...are the CIBIE LED headlights better than the JW Speaker 8700's?

The Cibie LED lamps are auxiliary high beams (i.e. "driving" or off-road auxiliary lamps), not main high/low beam headlamps like the Speaker 8700s.

I hear there's a new generation of the 8700's out too?

Yes, the 8700 Evolution 2. It's mind-bendingly good!

Hilldweller

Enlightened

Yes, the 8700 Evolution 2. It's mind-bendingly good!
They left room for improvement...
The most annoying thing about them for the Jeep JK owner is the adapter. The flicker-kicker they sold with the 8700 Evo-1 worked great with the Evo-1; with the Evo-2 there's a delay when switching from highbeam to lowbeam that's fairly dangerous to the oncoming driver. Jason says they're working on a new adapter though.
The Evo-2s also have some weird gaps in the spread of light --- you really only notice them when you're going down a hill and get to the bottom and see the lights projected on the next uphill section; you see them as strange geometric shapes. Or if you do the classic beam-shot on your garage door of course.
But they're wonderful to drive with. Especially really really dark sections of road, highbeams on, nothing around.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
They left room for improvement

I have yet to encounter the perfect headlamp...there is always room for improvement.

The most annoying thing about them for the Jeep JK owner is the adapter. The flicker-kicker they sold with the 8700 Evo-1 worked great with the Evo-1; with the Evo-2 there's a delay when switching from highbeam to lowbeam that's fairly dangerous to the oncoming driver.

Interesting. You're the JK majordomo around here, so please keep us informed.

Marcturus

Enlightened
After two months of Oscar LED listings on ama2*n com, you'd guess at least one stakeholder would order privately, and publish an interesting review. Do the Valeo experts project that Draghi's ECB will eventually buy them or what?

Last edited:

Hilldweller

Enlightened
They left room for improvement...
The most annoying thing about them for the Jeep JK owner is the adapter. The flicker-kicker they sold with the 8700 Evo-1 worked great with the Evo-1; with the Evo-2 there's a delay when switching from highbeam to lowbeam that's fairly dangerous to the oncoming driver. Jason says they're working on a new adapter though.
The Evo-2s also have some weird gaps in the spread of light --- you really only notice them when you're going down a hill and get to the bottom and see the lights projected on the next uphill section; you see them as strange geometric shapes. Or if you do the classic beam-shot on your garage door of course.
But they're wonderful to drive with. Especially really really dark sections of road, highbeams on, nothing around.
Updates:
JWS has an improved adapter for the Evolution 2 that eliminates delay when toggling from highbeam to lowbeam.
They are also just a few weeks away from releasing a Jeep Wrangler JK specific variant called the 8700 Evolution J that requires no adapter and is plug/play for the JK, including daytime running lights.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?401203-New-LED-headlamps

What is Draghi's ECB?
European Central Bank?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by -Virgil-
I will have to see if I can get my paws on some of them...

Virgil is not a human? :eek:oo:

Maybe he has two dad's, and, they do errands like this for him?

:D

Last edited:

Rick D

Newly Enlightened
It has been almost 5 months since this thread has been updated. Getting back to the original post, does anybody have any actionable information on the Cibie LED lamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.