New Cibie Oscar LEDs!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Not actionable, but Hella's Comet 200 LED (13W, Ref.12.5) is obviously marketed to compete with the Mini Oscar LED

Peak intensity of the Cibie Mini Oscar LED: 75,000 candela
Peak intensity of the Hella Comet 200 LED: 37,500 candela

Marcturus

Enlightened
Some might prefer the 2*12.5 in order not to exceed the 100 sum. Forced to choose and instantly buy, I'd simply take the Cibie because it is about half the price (125 euro sans tax & delivery, from France) of the Hella right now.

(removed link publishing wrong Mini Oscar LED intensity from post #17)

coconut1

Newly Enlightened
Bump Bump

Has anybody gotten their hands on theses yet ?
I would love to get the LED Oscars over some hella rally 4000 compacts.

Since they aren't widely distributed in the states news seems to be scares.

Thank you

Marcturus

Enlightened
Valeo is featuring the Super version at this year's IAA Truck Fair. So, contrary to perception, they do seem to try to sell them.

-Edit: new paragraph, new topic -

This large UK vendor,
http://www.eurocarparts.com/fog-lamps-driving-lights/searchkeyword/cibie
is having a very interesting -30% (France, Germany: -25%) end-of month sale on top of their regular discounted pricing. I can't vouch for them, and the Oscars are non-stock items. DHL shipping rates to America aren't instantly displayed.
Oh, and the lumens mentioned - EDIT: by THIS vendor - are curiously shown for a *pair* of lamps.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Valeo is featuring the Super version at this year's IAA Truck Fair. So, contrary to perception, they do seem to try to sell them.

They had a prominent display at Automechanika, too, including the LED Oscar line and also the halogen Oscars.

Oh, and the lumens mentioned are curiously shown for a *pair* of lamps.

Interesting...where is that stated?

Last edited:

Marcturus

Enlightened
e.g., while Cibie's catalog states 700 lumens for the medium-sized Oscar LED, eurocarparts claims "Up to 1400"

Alternatively, would a vendor like eurocarparts not only find out about source lumens, but also a bizarrely exact ratio of 2:1?

Marcturus

Enlightened
[...] and also the halogen Oscars
I did notice the pre-edit version.
icon7.gif

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
e.g., while Cibie's catalog states 700 lumens for the medium-sized Oscar LED, eurocarparts claims "Up to 1400"

OK, so some random seller of lights on the internet made up some random number or misinterpreted the manufacturer's info.

I did notice the pre-edit version

I took a closer look at the photograph and realized I hadn't seen what I thought I saw.

Marcturus

Enlightened
I took a closer look at the photograph and realized I hadn't seen what I thought I saw.
Ahww, and I was wondering what kind of halogen lamp (capsule) might have been used as a successor to Oscar+'s short H2.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
N/A, the Oscar and Super Oscar halogens have always used H1. Oscar+ used H2.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would be the CRI for these?

I would like to have incandescent levels of CRI when it comes to driving a large machine at highway speeds as every detail matters, especially with wildlife and varying road and weather conditions.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
(This is mainly aimed at Virgil, but I digress)

It's Decision Time!!! I want auxiliary high beams for all the long straightaways I drive at breakneck speeds!/s No, but I have good headlamps on my 4runner, and do a lot of night driving up and down the hills of SW PA. My schedules a bit odd, and I drive a lot of backroads (as we say here in PA, the route to where you want to go, is under construction) getting to and from the gym, work, etc. My headlamps, realistically, are sufficient for my needs, but I have a state interest free loan whose principle was just returned, and thusly have some money for optional extras.

Looking at the Cibie Super oscars, or a set of JW speaker TS3000/TS4000. Longest straight stretch of road I frequently drive on is about 400 meters of hill on a slight bend (can see the edge of the opposite lane from the top or bottom), with a long curve at the top. I generally dont hit traffic coming either way, but you can always see oncoming traffics headlamps in the guide rails.

Given that each of these is an excellent lamp, what of the three would be the subjective "best?"

Theyre going to be mounted above the front lip of the bumper of my lifted 3rd gen 4runner. Front sits 3" above stock height, and is level with the rear. I'll get a quick measurement of the lip height if that plays any role in immediate foreground light.

Thoughts, guys?

Hilldweller

Enlightened
I'd pick the TS4000, but that's just me. I'm a JWS fanboy....
Have you considered these too? http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-headlights-model-8801-evolution/
The highbeam version? Or are you just attracted to the round ones?

A friend gave me a pair of no-name square 16-LED (with optics, sorta) Chinese LED lights. 48 watt flamethrowers.
I thought they'd be sloppy but they're actually pretty good for nasty offroad stuff. Throw almost as far as my JWS 8700J highbeams but it's a flood pattern. Makes them useless over 40 mph.
But, boy howdy, offroad they're intense.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ended up going with the Cibie super oscars.

Actually, they showed up today. Unfortunately I dont have time to mount them before my trip tomorrow, but they'll be waiting for me when I get back.

I powered one up with a drill battery pack. Very neat beam pattern on my living room wall. Very interested to see how they light up a road.

Very large lamps, lol. The plastic snap on covers are solid, which is reassuring.

Two LEDs, they look like cree xm-l2s. Definitely cold white output. The PCB theyre on is screwed to the heatsink. Were I a more experienced electronics guy, Id be interested in trying to crack them open and swap LEDs with a more neutral chip.

Once theyre mounted Ill decide if they fit the bill. If not, I'll box them and either try to return them or sell them, but I think they'll work nicely.

I picked two of the super oscars up for about the price of a single TS4000, not going to Bullsshit, that was defjnitely a factor in the purchase.

Marcturus

Enlightened
Ended up going with the Cibie super oscars.
You got the 700 lumen ones? Once you've mounted them, even if you don't have time to write a full review, please contrast your experience about the quality of the supposed "weak vertical adjustment" to the sole AMZN reviewer's.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
You got the 700 lumen ones? Once you've mounted them, even if you don't have time to write a full review, please contrast your experience about the quality of the supposed "weak vertical adjustment" to the sole AMZN reviewer's.

Amazon dropshipped them late, so unfortunstely I wasnt able to mount them before I left on a road trip. Im not a shutterbug, by any means, so I dont think i could set up a good review.

Ill get them mounted and wired up when I get back, use them around a bit, then post up some impressions.

Mounting seems pretty solid, heavy bolt, comes with a nut and locking nut, wiring is just two pigtails, but theyre so low draw Im not even going to worry with a relay set up. The mount seems fairly aolid. Vertical adjustment/locking is via two large allen bolts, and the overall weight of the lamps is fairly low, I would expect if you're not cinstantly driving up and down wash oard roads, and take the care to check them once in a blue moon they would be fine.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I find Amazon "reviews" entertaining in the same way as psychodrama-thriller movies: it's fascinating to look inside the heads of some of the people, unhinged from reality or too dumb to breathe and walk at the same time, who write those "reviews".

Status
Not open for further replies.