• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New driver from RUSH for the 1x123 "E-Series" lights.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Everybody,

I hear your desire to have low levels without noticeable PWM, on my agenda it is one of the top items as well.
Currently i am working on a driver revision and will make some changes that should improve the PWM visibility or rather eliminate the need to use PWM at all for the low levels. But i will have to wait until i have prototypes in my hands to make some tests and see how successful those changes prove to be.

This is great news, thank you for addressing these issues and working towards an improved revision. I'll be straight in again as I was when the Hive was released to give it a go. All going well I'll likely purchase a few revised LE's.
Keep up the good work and thanks for letting us in on what you're up to, thought it was about time to give you a nudge and you haven't disappointed.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rush,

Your inbox is full.

Thanks mate.

rush

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everybody,

I plan to build a first prototype in the next weeks, then i will know if the design works or if changes are necessary.
So there is progress and i will give updates once i was able to do tests.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Everybody,

I plan to build a first prototype in the next weeks, then i will know if the design works or if changes are necessary.
So there is progress and i will give updates once i was able to do tests.

Good stuff, thanks.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not had this driver yet and am considering purchasing it in the future. I wonder what people mean by flickering at low levels? I just came across situations where people say that everything is fine and the PWM is not visible, but I see it, and some say that there is a terrible flicker, but I don't see it. Everyone has a different perception and different levels of acceptability of something in their brain. Can someone shoot this flicker in a video? I have the head of the SF E2L or something from a weapon light, at a low level I see some flicker, but it does not annoy me. Is the flickering of this driver Rush more pronounced?

Rstype

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a Chance to play with a hive converter and was worried it would be too complicated to program. A lot of information to take in.

After reading this thread , I got a better sense plus the manual with the flowcharts was very well thought out.

But after playing with it for a few hours, I actually began to enjoy it. The way you could program so many aspects of the lights makes it a wonderful driver to own.

climbinglife_

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, quick question as i'm trying to understand info on the Rush before I order a light from Don. I will only be using primaries and have no desire to tinker with settings so the 4 default modes will be it. Using the 1x123 and XML-2 LED on high am I right to say that after the battery voltage drops to a level not maintained for high, the light will step down to the next level? And so on after that? until it shuts off?

Lastly, has anyone gotten any runtimes with an XML-2 or XPG using primaries on high before it steps down?

Thanks,
Vin

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, quick question as i'm trying to understand info on the Rush before I order a light from Don. I will only be using primaries and have no desire to tinker with settings so the 4 default modes will be it. Using the 1x123 and XML-2 LED on high am I right to say that after the battery voltage drops to a level not maintained for high, the light will step down to the next level? And so on after that? until it shuts off?

Lastly, has anyone gotten any runtimes with an XML-2 or XPG using primaries on high before it steps down?

Thanks,
Vin

Hi Vin,

I won't go into too much detail (it's all in the forum if you look over it) but seeing as though no one else has posted I'll go ahead.
The Hive won't output the full default 1A on CR123, from memory it'll be about 900mA?
The default foldback is set for one of the liion settings (there's a couple for liion, another for AA and CR123 etc). I've played with them all using CR123, AA X2 and CR123 but can't remember the details. As mentioned, there's heaps of info in this thread.
I'd recommend ordering the light with the jumper soldered (if you can't do so yourself) so you have the option to adjust the firmware as required. It's well worth it and not so daunting.
Don's lights are excellent.

climbinglife_

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for clarifying output for the Hive. I was actually able to order a Haiku from Don based on what I wanted so it all worked out :)
Hi Vin,

I won't go into too much detail (it's all in the forum if you look over it) but seeing as though no one else has posted I'll go ahead.
The Hive won't output the full default 1A on CR123, from memory it'll be about 900mA?
The default foldback is set for one of the liion settings (there's a couple for liion, another for AA and CR123 etc). I've played with them all using CR123, AA X2 and CR123 but can't remember the details. As mentioned, there's heaps of info in this thread.
I'd recommend ordering the light with the jumper soldered (if you can't do so yourself) so you have the option to adjust the firmware as required. It's well worth it and not so daunting.
Don's lights are excellent.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Been using my Hive powered Sundrop almost every day for over two years now. I have it with the 2AA tube for runtime and ease of handling. Very happy. Just one comment, I now have a battery analysing charger and see that I am only using around 600mAh of a 2450mAh battery pair. Could this be the driver not liking the Eneloop Pro batteries? Not that it's a big deal but I did not realise I was only using a bit of the possible battery capacity. Is it better to use Lithium primaries instead? Or maybe alkaline? Thanks for any thoughts.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Did you set correct LVP in settings?

Sent from Tapatalk

Hi.no not touched anything - its as supplied by Don. Ordered with 2 x AA tube.

The light works well, just gets the flickers telling me low battery after 400mA (not 600 as I stated) used.

If it needs adjusting, instead of 2 Eneloop Pro AA's, what 2 x batteries can I use? to get more runtime? NiZn maybe?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to enable customisation by soldering the jumper or bridging it by other means.
Once you select the appropriate foldback you'll find you'll get much longer runtimes.
The batteries you're using are fine, I generally go for the ~2000mAh eneloop or Fujitsu equivalent.
While I don't currently own a Hive I did quite a bit of fiddling with various settings including battery/foldback combinations. It'll be well worth setting it up.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi.no not touched anything - its as supplied by Don. Ordered with 2 x AA tube.

Oh brother...
Guys are right, you need to solder the bridge on the bottom of the pill (look up for more info and pics in this thread).
After you need to enter customization options and choose 2xalkaline/NiMh voltage foldback option.

I think comes stock with LVP set for C123 primary battery, regardless of host.
More info can be found here

http://www.rushmedia.de/ee/hiveld.php

Sent from Tapatalk

Minimoog

Enlightened
Thanks for the input. Just checked and found link is not soldered. Probably my fault for not knowing but honestly did not even know about this as my other Haiku is just 3 preset levels and I thought this was the same but with 5.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input. Just checked and found link is not soldered. Probably my fault for not knowing but honestly did not even know about this as my other Haiku is just 3 preset levels and I thought this was the same but with 5.

Your 3 level is the 3S LE. It works pretty great regardless of acceptable power source with no setting required (doesn't have the option to).
I'm using a 3S on 2AA pak with nimh myself currently.
It's a pretty simple task bridging the jumper and you'll get a lot more out of it (Hive) in runtime by matching battery and foldback and other ways too (many options to customise if you choose).

Last edited: