New EDC Light

RByers91

Newly Enlightened
The only thing i don't like all that much about the peaks is the variable control. I prefer set output levels, but i may give it a try anyways. Is the qtc finicky at all?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing i don't like all that much about the peaks is the variable control. I prefer set output levels, but i may give it a try anyways. Is the qtc finicky at all?

Yes they are entirely finicky and if you have not yet had variable output I might understand your first observation but until you have I would not.

I hope you would not try one before learning more about them after which you could never ask this question!

recDNA

Flashaholic
I like magnetic infinite adjustment wheel much better than qtc. Has Sunwayman also been dismissed as an option?

RByers91

Newly Enlightened
Yes they are entirely finicky and if you have not yet had variable output I might understand your first observation but until you have I would not.

I hope you would not try one before learning more about them after which you could never ask this question!

I had a Quantum D2 and wasn't too fond of its operation.

I like magnetic infinite adjustment wheel much better than qtc. Has Sunwayman also been dismissed as an option?

Haven't considered sunwayman, do they offer lights in this category?

Anybody have any idea if there are some custom lights on the secondary market that may fit the bill? I'm only familiar with some current custom produced lights, and not some in the past. Perhaps someone could enlighten me on some that may work with my qualifications in mind?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I pulled out a caliper and started measuring lights and I have a feeling that to stay within your wants range only an AAA light will fit by the numbers alone.

I also think it is funny that you think the HDS is too large for the pocket but that a 2-AAA light might not be?

My pick right now having measured a bunch will be the Eiger AAA in any flavor you want.
Next would be the Beta I guess even though I do not love mine that much.
I also LOVE the Streamlight offerings and the newer ProTac AAA is one of my favorites right now.
I would also consider an ET D25AAA which I have been carrying in my watch pocket since it was released but it might be too small!

All of this assumes of course that the D25A is not an option based on your past experience with these?
These are the slimmest AA models that I have seen that are full featured too.

Last edited:

RByers91

Newly Enlightened
Well I may give the eiger a try. Sounds like my best bet. I find the thickness of the hds to be too large, not the length. I always find myself getting caught on corners due to its thickness.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I may give the eiger a try. Sounds like my best bet. I find the thickness of the hds to be too large, not the length. I always find myself getting caught on corners due to its thickness.

Oh I understand but then a 2 cell long light starts to push it a little too!
I just got my Eiger this week and it is a lot smoother adjusting than my Logans are somehow but it is purely a mechanical thing with these lights too and the QYC blob has sort of a mind of its own.

I was surprised when I measured a lot of lights that so many that I thought were within your stated dimension were too big?
My favorite variable output light is the SF Titan TiA which has smooth continuous adjustment.is small as a 123 can be and built like all old school SF but alas it too was too fat for you but still just Phat Right to me!

RByers91

Newly Enlightened
Before i make the jump and order a peak eiger, does anyone know of a maker who does custom penlights? The preon 2 was quite honestly my favorite light minus the led, and the stupid finicky clicky.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before i make the jump and order a peak eiger, does anyone know of a maker who does custom penlights? The preon 2 was quite honestly my favorite light minus the led, and the stupid finicky clicky.
Well this is a change of direction sort of isn't it?

Illlumination Supply still has the Preon 2 with a 219b in stock and the newer Preon seem discontinued and is a much better light I think and is discounted all over and on the 4/7 site itself.

If you liked the P2 see if one of those 219 versions calls to you!
You can get better clips and switch solutions for them too.