*new* Fenix PD22UE

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am kind of annoyed how the ARE-C2 and some of these one size fits all chargers that can do aa's and 18650s and everything in between came out not long after I bought the original Fenix charger. Actually I'm pretty sure they replaced the original pretty fast...

Figures... What voltage are 16340s? Slightly above cr123's I'm assuming?

I guess I can't be too mad. That charger is a lot cheaper. Maybe I'll go ahead and get the ARE-C2.

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
One thing I will definitely be watching for is a beamshot comparison between the original PD22, with the XP-G2 emitter, and the PD22 Ult. Edition, with the XP-L emitter. Will the larger emitter make the new light appear to throw less than the older light, in spite of the new light putting out more lumens?

otis311

Newly Enlightened
Ordered a couple the other day. I usually buy at least two lights, pick the one with the best tint, and give the others away as gifts. This will replace my edc PD22. The PD22 will become my "around the house light" which is currently my faithful PD20. Gotta get some 16340s so I can "waste" the light an not care, plus I like to show off the brightest light possible. I mean who doesn't like the impress the norms. I bet I will still get the "my new LED Maglite is brighter" response. Never the less I'm excited for my new PD.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I will definitely be watching for is a beamshot comparison between the original PD22, with the XP-G2 emitter, and the PD22 Ult. Edition, with the XP-L emitter. Will the larger emitter make the new light appear to throw less than the older light, in spite of the new light putting out more lumens?

I'm assuming it will have a broader and overall brighter beam, but the xp-g2 lights with the same reflector size will still have a brighter center hotspot despite not being as bright overall. The XP-L is basically still the XM-L just on a smaller board from what I read.

geal

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming it will have a broader and overall brighter beam, but the xp-g2 lights with the same reflector size will still have a brighter center hotspot despite not being as bright overall. The XP-L is basically still the XM-L just on a smaller board from what I read.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. If the hotspot is PD35 size for me that would be pretty nice. Might be significantly bigger though because of shallower reflector. If this is the case I'm even less interested. Would like to see 22ue and 35 beam comparisons if someone could oblige once some of you get your ue's in.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
In Europe some Fenix dealers might have it in a week's time. I'd say Fenix want to have it on on the market well before Xmas. :devil:

NaturalMystic

Newly Enlightened
Looking forward to checking this one out too. I've got the original P2D, 2nd gen P2D and first gen PD20 (Q5 emitter) and haven't bought a new single CR123 Fenix since then because I want something capable of using rechargeables. I've been using the Lumapower Incendio V3 in it's place as my main EDC.

otis311

Newly Enlightened
Just got an email with tracking number today.

Last edited:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
It's great that Fenix has come out with a version of the PD22 that can handle RC123's, but I prefer the light levels on my PD22 G2. For my use, there is too great a jump between the 200 lumen high level and the 60 lumen medium level on the PD22UE.

The PD22UE is a nice addition to the lineup, but I'm sticking with my PD22 G2, because I can really use a level that's around 100 Lumens - I consider that my highest level I'd normally use, because the runtime is sufficient to allow me to walk out of a dark subway tunnel from a disabled train, or something similar that requires enough runtime to walk somewhere in the dark.

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
It's great that Fenix has come out with a version of the PD22 that can handle RC123's, but I prefer the light levels on my PD22 G2. For my use, there is too great a jump between the 200 lumen high level and the 60 lumen medium level on the PD22UE.

The PD22UE is a nice addition to the lineup, but I'm sticking with my PD22 G2, because I can really use a level that's around 100 Lumens - I consider that my highest level I'd normally use, because the runtime is sufficient to allow me to walk out of a dark subway tunnel from a disabled train, or something similar that requires enough runtime to walk somewhere in the dark.
I'm in the same boat. I have a well loved PD22 G2 that has been used, dropped, etc., many times. It's my favorite light for EDC use, as it is so versatile. I wonder if I need to get another G2 soon, or if they will continue to carry it for a while longer.

otis311

Newly Enlightened
Recieved my two lights yesterday. They are typical fenix quality. The tint of both leaves something to be desired. They make my pd22 look yellow. The beam is wide, similar to an xml light. No rings that I could notice.

otis311

Newly Enlightened
Yep, I would say over 6000k. Compared to my pd32ue it looks fairly cool. It does have a little tighter beam though which is nice.

msim

Enlightened
Got to play with mine a bit more and compare to some other lights. Definitely cooler tint than both of my LD22's (XP-G and XP-G2). Also compared to my V11R it has more of a purple tint and suprisingly the V11R has a slightly tighter hotspot. That surprised me because the V11R has a LOP reflector vs the PD22UE's smooth reflector, but comparing them side by side, the V11R does have a slightly larger reflector.

I bought the PD22UE because I was curious about the XP-L and thought I could use another lower cost EDC light (lower cost compared to my HDS), but with the purplish tint (compared to my other cool white lights, not being a huge tint snob) I might just relegate it to backup duty or even part with it on the marketplace. Oh well! Such is life for the early adopter.

Last edited:

Latest posts