New for 2018 Streamlight Microstream USB Rechargeable Light

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
So far the only issue I've come upon with this light is so far 3-4 times I've had it, the light will fail to turn on within a period of use after charging it, works but just fails, removing the battery will restore function. its very odd.

Regarding this question, i've found that to get it into high reliably doesn't require you to quickly tap it twice in a very fast session, if you simply tap the switch for a fraction of a second just getting it to flash quickly in low, the next press even after a period of minutes will be high.

Anyone else pick up on of these lights yet?

I'm having trouble getting to "high" mode...

Seems like it's a double tap (starts on low) but sometimes I have to tap the switch more than twice to get it to "high".

Other than that, seems to be a solid torch; the beam is certainly floodier than the last two generations and the tint is warmer as well.

I wouldn't define the tint as overall warm, just warmer than the other two standard Microstreams I have... it's close to my ZL neutral tinted headlamp.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks for the heads-up, I missed this the first time around.
The SL MS is one of my all-time favorite lights (with Fenix LD01 heads of course), and am happy to see a substantial update. IMO these lights have always had the best small tail clicky in the business.

I have been EDC'ing my 2 'fenixstream' combos (incl. the LD01 / SL Stylus Pro 2xAAA penlight) ever since that LEGO was first discussed on CPF, what ~8 yrs ago? Neither have missed one single beat in all those years.

Last edited:

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
So it starts on low RT?

Agreed special K, the microstream is a goody.

Unfortunately (at least how I feel) ya the MS USB always is Low > High, doesn't feature TEN TAP to change that, for my general usage of the light I do wish it had the ability for High > Low

elzilcho

Enlightened
For my own use it's unfortunate that they made the USB version on the floody side. I really like the throwier beam profile on the standard Microstream.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Also in case anyone is wondering low uses pwm. It was noticeable to me but I wouldnt say egregious. That being said I didnt buy it because of that. No pwm in my edc's.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Last edited:

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of these last week. It is very lightweight and very bright and floody on high mode. The problem is with the tailcap. It starts in low mode and requires a double tap to go to high. The problem is you have to double tap it faster than Bruce Lee could to make it work. I have been able to get it to high but it takes several attemps each time. It was so bad initially I thought it was broke until I went to youtube and saw the problem others were having as well. It is still a lot of bang for the buck and it is very small and very light with a clip that works for both pocket and hat.

rangefinder

Newly Enlightened
I just picked one of these up and it exhibits the same switching issue described above.

Anyone know if it can be modified to single high output only?

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
I just picked one of these up and it exhibits the same switching issue described above.

Anyone know if it can be modified to single high output only?

I really wish Streamlight implemented their TEN TAP on this light, having that one feature alone would make this my favorite light, but its not quite there, hopefully they will later improve on this design the features we all want.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
There is nothing wrong with the switch. I've noticed 2 out of ten that try mine will not be able to figure it out or just can't do it. Never an issue with me, and we are all using the same exact light. From day one I've never had a problem with it.

Really good light and run time is like every other other streamlight I have. Other brands have a hard time keeping up no matter the cell. Streamlight with their brand of cells run long. I run two Streamlight 18650s in my MT40GT and they run brighter longer than a pair of Panasonic 3400mah NCR18650B cells do before I notice fade, and the Panasonic's start flashing because they just can't handle the lights power thirst. Them Streamlight aaa sized rechargeable cells punch longer than any aaa sized rechargeable lithium.

With real world use the only trait id complain about is the charge time. You better have it charged up well ahead of time if it's going to be used when it gets dark out.

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
In homage** to the Microstream, the two threads about using the Fenix LD01 head & SL Microstream body & tailswitch together; can you believe it's been 10 years now?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Steamlight-Microsteam-body-(tactical-switch)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?217658-Streamlight-Microstream-LED/page3

**homage: "That's a dangerous animal, that is!!" ;-)

8 full years of EDCing my combo now. :thumbsup:

Awesome, Kestrel! I'm still rocking my Preon Pro (NW Preon head on a Stylus Pro body) after 4 years.

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
There is nothing wrong with the switch. I've noticed 2 out of ten that try mine will not be able to figure it out or just can't do it. Never an issue with me, and we are all using the same exact light. From day one I've never had a problem with it.

With real world use the only trait id complain about is the charge time. You better have it charged up well ahead of time if it's going to be used when it gets dark out.

For me its not the switch thats the issue, its that the light is so floody I often times find myself using it in high when I would normally find myself using much lower output on other lights to get the same visual effect. example of my Surefire LX2 its low mode (I believe 22 lumens actual) dwarfs the so claimed 50 lumens output of the MS USB. With that being said I really wish it always just turned on in its 250 lumen mode. This new MS USB replaced a Stylus Pro for me at work, I'm finding myself at a love hate with the new MS USB because the Stylus Pro only output of 90 lumens with a tighter hot spot was much more usable and always on tap.

And the charge times yes, the charge circuit must only put out about 100mah at best.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Awesome, Kestrel! I'm still rocking my Preon Pro (NW Preon head on a Stylus Pro body) after 4 years.
The older PWM XR-E LD01 would provide double-wattage from 2xAAA; while the newer XP-G current-controlled LD01 wouldn't (so only double runtime). Verified by my testing.

So my XR-E LD01 is on the 2xAAA Stylus Pro body, and my newer LD01 is on the 1xAAA microstream body.

I seem to recall those Preon heads were PWM, so you seem to have the correct generation pairing ... ?

Edit: that mod we did back-in-the-day, really ahead of its time; looks like industry is catching up, /finally/.

Last edited:

Erik1213

Enlightened
For those wanting this light but wish it turned on in high mode, the coyote color goes high > low instead of low > high like all of the other colors.

APS

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I saw that in the mrgunsandgear review! Picked one up. Around the house I usually carry the black one and out of the house if I don't want to carry one of my larger lights I carry the coyote brown microstream usb.

bccan

Newly Enlightened
As stated above this is a great, small, useful & effective light, throws a lot of light in high mode considering it's size. Buyers be reminded - Black starts low & double taps to high, "coyote" starts high and double taps to low, I own one of each because I bought a black one before I knew. Also as noted above it does not charge quickly, think ahead if it is in a low state of charge.

I have used Microstream lights for years now, 2 cell, 1 cell, early & late versions of both, now the USB which is hands down the best so far. I use the light a minimum of 10 times a day in auto biz & due to small size/big illumination & it is always in my pocket & available.