New LEMAX LX70. Killer Polarion PH50.

Dmitriyrus

Newly Enlightened
There is no comparison between the old Barnburner XeRay 75 watt, and the new XV-LX70.
The new light output simply blows it away, the beam (reflector quality) of the Barn Burner was sub par at best.

It made up for poor reflector quality, somewhat with brute force power, still not enough to keep up with the XV-LX70.
This there is no doubt !
Nevertheless it would be interesting to compare

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I admit - - it looks a bad joke.
Perhaps it looks like this because I do not know English. I only know a few words.
I communicate using "google translate".
In any case - this is my problem and it's my fault.
I bring to you personal apology.

I think everyone knows it was just (an attempt at) making a joke....and the language barrier and emoticon barrier just screwed it up.

I think its all OK now.

:D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Paul, the excellence of your review continues, and, the light is impressing me too.

Doberman

Newly Enlightened
Patriot,
it has been mentioned several times, but let me also thank you for the time and effort you put in these exquisite "pre-"tests, and i can´t await to see your desktop review on YT about this stunning peace of light. I own the Dual S with a smooth reflector; would have be interesting for me to see the advantage of the LX vs the DS. The LX seems to be my logical next step in the HID History; it´s just the few bucks misssing ;-( . But there always has a dream to be dreamed.

Regards

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I admit - - it looks a bad joke.
Perhaps it looks like this because I do not know English. I only know a few words.
I communicate using "google translate".

No apologies necessary. I only responded so that the other two CPFer's that commented about it knew they weren't alone in their misunderstanding. Once you stated that it was a joke I chalked it up to a translation thing. As TEEJ stated, we're all on the same page now. :)

@Patriot: thanks for doing all this work for the community! :thumbsup:

So far the light seems to have no donwsides for what it is! That's quite rare.

How is the wheight subjectively?

Of course and thanks for all the support. Thanks to Dan at XeVision too for making this all possible. As far as downsides go, there are no real ones. In fact, it's a dream light of industrial/military quality. I'm saving some of the specifics for the video review but nothing I say in that review will be surprising to you guys. Oh, I'll give a tiny hint, that the beam is "tunable." I'm not speaking of anything high tech and in fact it's probably the simplest form of "tuning" a HID's light beam and something that my 8 year old nephew could do. If you guys guess it, I won't confirm it until the video. :whistle: In any case, I did have to "tune" it to get the best performance.

With regards to weight, it just feels like the other high end HID's that I own. I caught myself supporting it with one finger by the handle while having a spotlight in each hand and stretching my other finger to reach the light switch. I was doing the same thing while manipulating different lights during the powerline tower beamshots the other night. The well designed handle makes this all possible. I'm sooo glad that it isn't metal! The thing I notice the most is the physical size of the head having been accustomed to other, all metal bodied HIDs for so long. When I'm putting it in a pack, I think to myself, "wow, this thing's a beast."

Paul, the excellence of your review continues, and, the light is impressing me too.

Thanks TEEJ!

I wanted to get your thoughts about the Daylight WB setting results and if you felt that the yellow'er pixels handicapped the XV-LX70. I think I need to find a setting that warms the Polarion's beam and cools the XeVision's beam. Sort of split the difference perhaps?

Patriot,
it has been mentioned several times, but let me also thank you for the time and effort you put in these exquisite "pre-"tests, and i can´t await to see your desktop review on YT about this stunning peace of light. I own the Dual S with a smooth reflector; would have be interesting for me to see the advantage of the LX vs the DS. The LX seems to be my logical next step in the HID History; it´s just the few bucks misssing ;-( . But there always has a dream to be dreamed.

My pleasure Doberman! In a way, the classification is simple. It's the next step up in "caliber" beyond the 35-50W HID's we're used to. We've had access to other more powerful lights like the Barnbarner, Titanium Innovations L70, the Mule 80W and other larger, ABS styled chassis but none of them could be classified to the same quality level or overall performance of Polarion. It set itself apart by being the only high-end, military type, HID available that wasn't an externally powered, dedicated machinegun light. The XV LX70W is the longer range option to the Polarion with only slight size and weight penalties. The kicker in the mix is the XV LX50W or the 70's little brother. This would be a direct, model for model competitor to current Polarions. I suspect they would be very close in performance! Against the 70 watts and large aperture of the XeVison however, my Polarion Dual S doesn't stand a chance.

Last edited:

Dmitriyrus

Newly Enlightened
Patriot, tell please ..
As far as convenience battery indication? In real conditions.
One year ago ... I chose between Polarion PH50 or Lemax LX50.
I long thought. It was a very difficult choice.
Do you know that proved decisive factor?
Battery indicator.
In my work, it is important to know how much energy residue. The more accurate the better.
Den wrote to us as running indication in Xeray ...
Are you comfortable? As far as informatively?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Paul, as I mentioned, but too late for you to capitalize on, if you "bracket" the WB settings, say shoot a set of the same shot with a few fixed WB settings, so you can compare which worked, or, at least, which worked better.

Daylight is typically the one that works best, but, different lights do appear differently, as the actual frequencies, etc, do vary. You do need to use one to make across the board comparisons though, and, so far, I do think it worked out. If another setting would work out better, the bracketing should help evaluate that.

The eye is so different from the camera, its always a crap shoot when the lighting is not standard.

Even day light is different at dawn compared to mid-day to dusk, etc....and an object can look 3 different colors depending on when you take the shot. And then you say, which is "correct"? :candle:

Its always a project in progress.

AceDan

Newly Enlightened
Cheers Patriot for your beam shots and video.

Now...anyone guesstimate the throw of the LX70?

Guess I might be selling my PH50 now if this truly is a brighter/more powerful HID.

AceDan

Newly Enlightened
Just as a thought...has anyone ever put two of the same HIDs together to see if there is difference between the two due to bulb manufacturing difference or down to the reflector finish?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Just as a thought...has anyone ever put two of the same HIDs together to see if there is difference between the two due to bulb manufacturing difference or down to the reflector finish?

LOL

Not too many people have two of the same of this sort of light. I have duplicates of some, as I equip search teams, etc....but $ multi-K $ Lights, well, there are budget constraints. I have an Abyss dual and a PH50....and this one could easily replace either of them as an upgrade...but, TWO of them, unless there's a buy one get one free sale, is a bit rich.

AceDan

Newly Enlightened
LOL Not too many people have two of the same of this sort of light. I have duplicates of some, as I equip search teams, etc....but $ multi-K $ Lights, well, there are budget constraints. :D

Hey TEEJ.
I was more thinking guys who test these lights or companies who own more than one :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Patriot, tell please ..
As far as convenience battery indication? In real conditions.
One year ago ... I chose between Polarion PH50 or Lemax LX50.
I long thought. It was a very difficult choice.
Do you know that proved decisive factor?
Battery indicator.
In my work, it is important to know how much energy residue. The more accurate the better.
Den wrote to us as running indication in Xeray ...
Are you comfortable? As far as informatively?

There is no visible LED indicator for battery capacity on the XeVision. When the battery drops to 20% and the light is running, it will blinks for 1/2 second every 60 seconds until the battery is energy is depleted. There's no missing it when the battery is below 20%. The blink gets your attention.

Paul, as I mentioned, but too late for you to capitalize on, if you "bracket" the WB settings, say shoot a set of the same shot with a few fixed WB settings, so you can compare which worked, or, at least, which worked better.

Daylight is typically the one that works best, but, different lights do appear differently, as the actual frequencies, etc, do vary. You do need to use one to make across the board comparisons though, and, so far, I do think it worked out. If another setting would work out better, the bracketing should help evaluate that.

The eye is so different from the camera, its always a crap shoot when the lighting is not standard.

Even day light is different at dawn compared to mid-day to dusk, etc....and an object can look 3 different colors depending on when you take the shot. And then you say, which is "correct"? :candle:

Its always a project in progress.

More specifically, what did you think of the pictures themselves as opposed to the previous ones? Better, worse, the same? Just looking for your opinion. As always, thanks for the reply and the help TEEJ. :thumbsup:

There will always be minor differences in the lamps but electroformed reflectors are very consistent. I would imagine that with the quality checks XeVision puts into their electronics we're not going to see much variation there either. Comparing two Ebay lights might be a different story.

Last edited:

AceDan

Newly Enlightened
There is no visible LED indicator for battery capacity on the XeVision. When the battery drops to 20% and the light is running, it will blinks for 1/2 second every 60 seconds until the battery is energy is depleted. There's no missing it when the battery is below 20%. The blink gets your attention. More specifically, what did you think of the pictures themselves as opposed to the previous ones? Better, worse, the same? Just looking for your opinion. As always, thanks for the reply and the help TEEJ. :thumbsup: There will always be minor differences in the lamps but electroformed reflectors are very consistent. I would imagine that with the quality checks XeVision puts into their electronics we're not going to see much variation there either. Comparing two Ebay lights might be a different story.

You're probably right Patriot. So what about a HID bulb that has say 10x more hours than a new one. Which would be brighter or give the best possible output? And the PH50 you used for the test shots, any idea on runtime that's had out of curiosity?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Cheers Patriot for your beam shots and video.

Now...anyone guesstimate the throw of the LX70?

Oops, missed this one. Yeah, I actually mentioned it but it's buried in some cluttered paragraphs. I haven't measured it yet but I'm guessing over 750K lux. My hope is to actually measure it at a 100m but that's going to be a project involving radios or a spotting scope and a fluid tripod head. I've measured the Polarions before @50m and it was a hassle.

AceDan

Newly Enlightened
Oops, missed this one. Yeah, I actually mentioned it but it's buried in some cluttered paragraphs. I haven't measured it yet but I'm guessing over 750K lux. My hope is to actually measure it at a 100m but that's going to be a project involving radios or a spotting scope and a fluid tripod head. I've measured the Polarions before @50m and it was a hassle.

Thanks Patriot. Really useful stuff :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic

9879506233_f4e78008c3_b.jpg

This is how I get long rang lux readings. :D

Flip the display towards the camera, and you can see the reading as you adjust the beam to get the hot spot on it, etc....and record the max with the meter if it has a max store feature, and/or with the zoom lens and a pen and paper, snapping a pic, etc.

And, no, the meter is not there during actual shooting, I scoot back behind a berm, then come back out, etc.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

With proper quality controls in manufacturing, neither the bulb or electroformed reflector would vary enough to detect ANY difference between lights.
Philips has outstanding BULB QC standards, as does our California based electroformed reflector manufacturer. There should be no detectable difference between lights.