New Mag C-cell incandescent twisties: ML25IT

PJ

Enlightened
LiftdT4R, The 2C will not take a PR base bulb. The bulb holder is a bi-pin configuration that looks to be one piece and the hole in the reflector is about 8 mm.
The LED I installed is a 5mm with the flanged base and the entire LED fits through the hole into the reflector. I'll try to post comparison pics with a PR 2C reflector.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
LiftdT4R, The 2C will not take a PR base bulb. The bulb holder is a bi-pin configuration that looks to be one piece and the hole in the reflector is about 8 mm.
The LED I installed is a 5mm with the flanged base and the entire LED fits through the hole into the reflector. I'll try to post comparison pics with a PR 2C reflector.

Thanks! What is the run time like on those? I see the input voltage is 2.7 to 3.1 volts and I'm not sure how quickly the voltage drops down on alkalines. Also, am I reading right that they are rated for 6 to 8 lumens?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I put a Yuji in a minimag with 10+ year old used alkalines that came with it and shut it off after 57 hours due to boredom. It was still putting out about 50 percent brightness.

Figure days and days and days with fresh cells.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a Yuji in a minimag with 10+ year old used alkalines that came with it and shut it off after 57 hours due to boredom. It was still putting out about 50 percent brightness.

Figure days and days and days with fresh cells.

You wouldn't happen to have an extra Yuji LED laying around would ya? It looks like you have to buy 100 pcs of them if yo buy new. I just don't need that many.

PJ

Enlightened
I started one of these with a Yuji 3200 on Friday at 9 p.m. using some NIP Duracell Copper tops with an expiration date of March 2014.
This morning, Monday, it seems as bright as when I started, about 58 hours in.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll need a calendar instead of a clock. I had one going continuously for some 3 months before I gave up. It very well could be the apocalypse light to have when the poo hits.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Mag C-cell incandescent twisties: M25IT

Lifted- PM me your addy, I'll drop a few 3200's in the mail to you. 

Looks like PJ hooked me up but thanks dude!!

I started one of these with a Yuji 3200 on Friday at 9 p.m. using some NIP Duracell Copper tops with an expiration date of March 2014.
This morning, Monday, it seems as bright as when I started, about 58 hours in.

Thanks for the PM!! Please lemme send ya a couple bucks to cover at least the shipping.

Are these really 8 lumens or so? I'm wondering if 3 NiMH Cs would work as I have a 3C and a 2C. I know most will 3V will take 4.2 from a LiIon so I'm thinking 3 NiMH would be the same. I doubt I'd get any additional light out of it tho.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's another idea I've been having that I'll likely try out after the holidays:

I have a 3C Ml25IT. Like other 3 cell NiMH setups the voltage is anywhere from 4.2 to 2.8V which is plenty fine to run a 3V forward voltage LED direct. I tried this with a cheap, warm, bare LED with leads soldered onto the terminals and then stuck into the bi-pin socket and it worked! But.... the LED was too big so the reflector never pressed against the pill enough to turn it off. I'm going to get a smaller bare XP-G or XP-E to try this again with.

I'm thinking it may have some success on a 2 cell also but only if alkalines are used. However, since the forward voltage really can't see less than 2.8V or so any significant brightness will drain the batteries lower than that pretty quickly. I noticed the Yuji LEDs have a forward voltage of 3V also but since they draw so little current the batteries take forever to drop below 2.8V. I think these batteries still have about 80% capacity when the LED goes out though so that's worth noting if you're running that setup on 2 cells.

I'm hoping this doesn't defeat the purpose of this whole incan thread but I feel like it may be fun to try different little setups here.

PJ

Enlightened

Here is a picture of a PR base reflector and the ML25IT reflector side by side.
(ML25IT is on the right.)

Refl Incans 2.jpg

Last edited:

rrego

Enlightened

Hello all, would one of you have one or two Yuji Hi CRI 3200 to sell me? :grin2: I have two minimags that would greatly appreciate it..... :laughing:

If so, PM me and I will send PP :paypal:! :grin2:

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I wonder how many months a Yuji could run in an ML25IT……

The hole in the stock IT reflector is 9mm. I tried an LED reflector and it was pretty bad. No go.
In my hot-wired lights I have I recently took a 5/16 drill bit and by hand widened the hole, ran a test for a few minutes and felt the edge. It was nice and warm but not "ouch" hot to the touch. So a 3/8 drill bit was used next. It ran for 5 minutes after and was only slightly warm to the touch.

Boring by hand means you control how quickly the drill bit digs so you end up with a much cleaner edge than if you use a machine. Both of my lights, the 2 cell and 3 cell run about 7 volts, maybe 8 in the 3 cell fresh off the charger but the slightly larger hole does not get hot, nor does it affect the beam.

2-A4-D5626-E449-427-A-A70-B-20-B77-E045-BE6.jpg

Before drilling.
Some melt had occured after about an hour of use at 15-20 a session.

9-D0-B0028-08-FF-41-EB-8-F81-5293-E14-C9-A23.jpg

After drilling by hand and running for 30 minutes.
This is a 3 cell using (1 amp) 2x18650 batteries and a Streamlight TL3 bulb.

6286590-B-B1-E7-4-DAA-BD09-BDC2238040-BF.jpg

What you get if you use a drill. Ugh!
This is the 2 cell using 2x18500 LifePo4 and a 4 cell bulb. No affect on the beam but when showing off your handy work the viewer gets a bitter beer face look.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one. I might mod it someday if I get tired of it in its stock form. By the way, this isn't the only thread on this subject.

Last edited:

jross20

Newly Enlightened

I have one. I might mod it someday if I get tired of it in its stock form. By the way, this isn't the only thread on this subject.

Awesome! You know I only saw this thread and one other but it stopped after 2 pages. I've been trying to see if I can order a green one, but I've only found a red and black. I'm curious to get one and to take some measurements to see if I can fit an aspheric lens in it. In the meantime I'm also looking at 5mm LED options. I see the yuji LED's but they seem to be expensive (have to order 100) but also seem very dim. (Like less than 20 lumens)

I found this, but it is out of stock:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0814Z6416/?tag=cpf0b6-20

The search continues!

bykfixer

Flashaholic

They made red, blue, gray, black and silver. No green.

ZBattery carries them online. You can also get bulbs there. There are no aftermarket parts for the ML25IT. The lens is a smidge over 41mm. Flashlight lens dot com sells them in glass or ultra clear polycarbonate.

See posts 66 forward in this thread for some ideas.

Last edited:

jross20

Newly Enlightened

Thanks bykfixer, really appreciate it. I'll try to post some photos once I have mine and have modded them up.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Acrylite diffused acrylic lens by flashlight lens .com was added and all was right.

By chance can you share exactly which lens you purchased? Is it this one? https://flashlightlens.com/acrylite_lens/

I just got a blue one of these and have some bulbs coming but want that lens you have.

Their website isn't as easy to navigate as it used to me. I remembered when you could select the size you were looking for and it would show you all the lenses they had.

Not anymore... :-(

4c74fbac2b85f46d2878e3dd61aab7cb.jpg

Last edited: