New Mag85 Super Reflector with new outdoor BEAMSHOTS

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Mag85 Super Reflector

Very nice!

I wonder how it'll work with the stock socket using one of FM's ceramic PR bi-pin adapters?

wquiles

Flashaholic

At about $20 for each I am "in" for at least two of them. Perhaps you should start a feeler in the Group Buy section?

Will

Nell

Enlightened

Sounds very impressive, count me in for two.

litho123

Enlightened

:party: NT sure is one excited guy about these sample stippled reflectors. :party:
That's what can happen when one gets a sneak peek at something new.

From what I hear, a passaround is in the works with a set of 7 reflectors in the following finishes to try out:
1 - SMOOTH
2 - LIGHT ORANGE PEEL
3 - MEDIUM ORANGE PEEL
4 - HEAVY ORANGE PEEL
5 - LIGHT STIPPLE
6 - MEDIUM STIPPLE
7 - HEAVY STIPPLE

Right now the stippled reflectors are just a sample set for evaluation.

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

NikolaTesla -

Your filtered business end shot, " Just light comes out. NO image." really tells a lot.

----------------

- Jeff

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Greg and I want to do a multiple beam shot comparison photo session soon. Stay tuned. I think he has a pass around in mind as well. More comments from testers/users will happen then.

juancho

Enlightened

PASSAROUND

If you send a stippled this way I will make beamshots comparing it at a distance of close to 50 yards against the smooth and medium orange peel.

Juancho

Geologist

Enlightened

:popcorn:

If a GB list starts elsewhere, please post the link in this thread!

Thank Ya

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Quote:
From what I hear, a passaround is in the works with a set of 7 reflectors in the following finishes to try out:
1 - SMOOTH
2 - LIGHT ORANGE PEEL
3 - MEDIUM ORANGE PEEL
4 - HEAVY ORANGE PEEL
5 - LIGHT STIPPLE
6 - MEDIUM STIPPLE
7 - HEAVY STIPPLE

Right now the stippled reflectors are just a sample set for evaluation. If there is enough interest, I'm sure that Light-edge.com will stock them.

Lightedge will be carrying the updated modded 1940's in finishes 2-4 which will accomodate Kiu's hi-temp bi-pin sockets. I hear that they are en route to him as we speak.

Me thinks the interest is already there.
naughty.gif

The photo's in my thread are of #6 and #7. I also have #5 in a light. From what I see, The heavy and medium are the greatest improvement over what we have seen before. Orange peel helps but stipple eliminates artifacts. Yes there is a slight cost in throw but the overall usefullness of a super light is VASTLY improved. Mostly, I had found a Mag85 too bright to use up close be cause of the central hot spot. Trying to defocus the beam with the cam type reflector on thr mag just turns it to the messy beam we have seen for 30 years. On the other hand, SureFire has not had any problems selling their $392 M6 battery eating machine at all. Certainly no one will argue and compain about its non focusing beam (nor would I, The Dominator is wonderful) Now we can transform the Mag mods to this level

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can the new reflector be used on any MAG mod that uses a C or D body and a WA lamp? I'm thinking FiveMega's mods.

wquiles

Flashaholic

NikolaTesla said:
Quote:
The photo's in my thread are of #6 and #7. I also have #5 in a light. From what I see, The heavy and medium are the greatest improvement over what we have seen before.

With my hotwires I am currently using the medium orange peel and it is simply not nearly enough. I know I have not seen them in person, but from what I can tell so far, but I am I am only interested in #6 and #7; probably #7 only if I had to pick just one. I don't care about loosing trow - I want more useful sidebeam with no artifacts.

This reflector combined with the upcoming refulated/LVR's being worked here in the forums will trully bring the M*g platform for hotwires to new hights :D

Will

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

unless you 'need' 300ft of throw.. those stippled reflectors that NT brought over the other day are are exactly what you want.. the Mag85 and Mag11 with those reflectors just seemed like a 500W halogen light (you know the type).. just tons and tons of flood light that filled the whole room.. at about 10' the spot was maybe 2-3' across and just absolutely fantastic! I might make 'a' light with an lop or smooth reflector just for the fun of making a spot 300' away but it's so not practical or useful compared to these floody-beam reflectors.. the beauty is you can use myriad different bulbs and the don't get 'beamy' or goofy.. just stunning smooth beam.. similar to what i expect from an excellent match of luxeon and reflector.

Artifacts = zero point zero... 'focusing' is a set and forget procedure... and it's actually hard to find the optimum focus since it's smoothed out so much.

-awr

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul_in_Maryland said:
Can the new reflector be used on any MAG mod that uses a C or D body and a WA lamp? I'm thinking FiveMega's mods.

Yes it can. Bulb must be as small as WA lamp.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

A while back I noticed that Otokoyama's Perfect Mag Reflectors had a surface that, though referred to as orange peel, when compared to newer Carly OP reflectors seemed to have more of a stippled look than orange peel.

The beams I get from the PMRs are much rounder and nicer than other OP reflectors. These Mag Super Reflectors look similar but not quite the same.

The very first PMR was for LED modded Mags. It did very well with the challenging Luxeon 5 watt. Something to think about for future interations?

---------------

- Jeff

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

So can we buy these somewhere? If so, can someone point me in the right direction please.

I want a couple of the stipple ones. Maybe 1 each of #5, 6, and 7.

Can't wait to see the beamshots.

Thanks

Curtis

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

NikolaTesla said:
The photo's in my thread are of #6 and #7. I also have #5 in a light. From what I see, The heavy and medium are the greatest improvement over what we have seen before. Orange peel helps but stipple eliminates artifacts. Yes there is a slight cost in throw but the overall usefullness of a super light is VASTLY improved. Mostly, I had found a Mag85 too bright to use up close be cause of the central hot spot. Trying to defocus the beam with the cam type reflector on thr mag just turns it to the messy beam we have seen for 30 years. On the other hand, SureFire has not had any problems selling their $392 M6 battery eating machine at all. Certainly no one will argue and compain about its non focusing beam (nor would I, The Dominator is wonderful) Now we can transform the Mag mods to this level

Which one are you raving about the most? #6 or #7? Also what are your thoughts on #5 compared to the other reflectors that are out there today?

Which version has the small hole? #6 or #7? Is there a noticeable difference/gain between the two of these?

Curtis

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

We had these sample units on order (unfortunately) for 14 weeks before they were delivered. Since there seems to be quite a bit of interest, 200 are being ordered and will be available at Light-Edge. I am not connected with Ronnie but know very well all the players in this process. There will be beam shots done of all 7 types soon and posted here.

Here are #5, #6, #7 in that order. All the dimensions are identical. Only the amount of stipple is different. #5 does NOT completely remove all artifects from the light but does better than any 'orange peel' type. It's appearance is more chrome like than the others as you can see. But that is the fooler. I prefer #7 best but again, my choice.

DSCN3746.JPG

If you notice on #5 left, you can almost see me holding white reflector up with my blue shirt. Not so in #6 & #7. I us an X990 facing forward and a white 12" paper plate for a light reflector to make these shots.

Last edited: