New Maglite 2C ML25LT

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up the new 2C ML25T at Walmart today. Brightness seems about the same as the previous generation but it is not likely you would notice the difference between 177 and 192 anyway.The new ML25T turns on high by default, a quick twist off and back on changes it to low. Mag lists a 7 hour run-time on high so output must diminish over time unlike the old model. The low run-time is listed as 72 hours and I assume it diminishes over time as well if it actually does run 3 days. The packaging is actually from the 177 lumen model but stickers were added to cover the old specs with the new ones.

I still think there is something to be said for flat 2 hour regulation of the 177 lumen version but the new model will probably get a better reception. The availability of the low mode and presumed change in regulation of the high mode should make this new model a much more viable emergency/car light.

Cool! Can't wait till these show up at a local walmart. I think the step down regulation is a good idea, especially for anyone running alkalines - the original 2 hr run time was too short. But now between the step down and the low mode battery life is much less of an issue. I hope at some point Mag will come out with a 2 mode 3 cell ML25 as well.

BTW not surprised about he brightness, I always thought the old ones were a bit underrated.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Walmart I found them at still had the 177 lumen version as well so I suspect that you may find new and old stock mixed together in stores. I was also at another Walmart today but foolishly didn't think to check if they had the new version there,my flashoholism must be slipping lol. Still not seeing them on Zbattery's site but they might be waiting until the old stock is depleted.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
During a recent visit to a WalMart they had ML25's, but I didn't think to check to see if they were the new ones. I was checking to see if they were clearance priced like some have mentioned seeing (old stock I suppose) and when a quick glance showed regular price I kept walking.

Going back this evening after reading the last few posts in this thread. My local WalMart only has ML25's and 300's. No mini mags or ML50's. No other Maglites and what was once a sprawling flashlight section has been reduced to a paultry little area of junky little numbers and those 'atomic' garbage.

And my local Target only has like Ozark Trail and a few Energizer lights. Heck, that one has never even had any fishing stuff. Plenty of yoga pads and carpet cleaners though.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only who finds it ironic that a store named Target doesn't sell firearms or ammo?....:kiss:

Target seems to be slowly going the way of kmart. They used to have a pretty good assortment of flashlights, lots of mags and inovas plus their rock river store brand. Now it's mostly a few energizers and life gear lights plus a very few mags all in a small section the size of their bike lock section. Target used to have a bunch of leatherman tools along with Swiss Army knives (both Victorinox and Wenger), now it's down to a couple of basic Victorinox's. Seems like the flashlight selection s at walmart, lowes and home depot is steadily shrinking, fewer Mags and more store brand cheapies, maybe people just use the little lights on their phones and don't bother with flashlights any more?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think a big slice of the masses just isn't prepared anymore thanks to the nanny state USA doeling out all things necessary to so many.

Example was just the other day a ginormously obesce person on a street corner in an electric wheelchair I could not afford with a...wait for it...
"Will work for food" sign.
All kinds of metro-something or others were passing the lady paper money like it was covered in cooties.

Everywhere you go it seems folks are staring at a 2" x 5" screen. Flashlights just don't sell to the ordinary Facebook/Twitter masses.

Another problem is quality has made it so...
Again, wait for it...
Even bad flashlights aren't bad these days. So repeat customers has shrunken tremendously. Those LED minimags from say 5 years ago are probably still working unless off'd by alkaleaks. So the replacement is a twin pack of $6 Defiants or a $4 Ozark Trail, which are also pretty good anymore.

And yes, millions rely on their celphone even though chances are 457:1 their battery has less than 20% charge remaining from tweeting and fakebook videos.

Frijid

Enlightened
Picked up the new 2C ML25T at Walmart today. Brightness seems about the same as the previous generation but it is not likely you would notice the difference between 177 and 192 anyway.The new ML25T turns on high by default, a quick twist off and back on changes it to low

Thanks for explaining how it works. I think I'd rather have it via switch but that's just me.

Frijid

Enlightened
Target seems to be slowly going the way of kmart. They used to have a pretty good assortment of flashlights, lots of mags and inovas plus their rock river store brand. Now it's mostly a few energizers and life gear lights plus a very few mags all in a small section the size of their bike lock section. Target used to have a bunch of leatherman tools along with Swiss Army knives (both Victorinox and Wenger), now it's down to a couple of basic Victorinox's. Seems like the flashlight selection s at walmart, lowes and home depot is steadily shrinking, fewer Mags and more store brand cheapies, maybe people just use the little lights on their phones and don't bother with flashlights any more?

Kmart is where I bought my first XL50, 2D incan xenon and led mag and 2aa mini mag led and xenon and solitare. Wal-Mart is where I bought my first solitare led. Now my Wal-Mart only has the 2aa led and the 2C mag. I remember seeing a 2D months ago. The last one sold and I thought they were being lazy with restocking but when I questioned why the tag for solitare was still there but had been restocked, they were like oh we don't carry that anymore, that tag shouldn't even still be up. And Kmart no longer exists anymore lol.

I think the one thing that killed mag is relying too much on their American manufacture thing. Back in the day when they were more American made and every other light was cheap plastic they could corner the market. But nowadays I'm willing to bet that pretty much everything in a maglite is Chinese made yet they still think they can get a big price just because the body or maybe one spring is manufactured in the U.S., and hell even the metal for it may be from China. If they could get off that lying high horse, and lower their prices slightly, they might be better off.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My local WalMart had the first generation of ML25's. They had some new style package'd ML25 twin packs with first gen ML25's. A 2 and 3 cell in the package.

They also had some 611 lumen ML50's in the same packaging.
I opted for the EDC combo of a Gerber knife and 2aaa minimag in the new packaging.
IMG-20190413-191408.jpg

I was glad to see my local WalMart seems to still be buying Maglite products to sell.

Now regarding the China thing, Maglite has a factory the size of a shopping mall that manufactures lights in house largely of US sourced materials. They use CREE LED's, some of which are made in America, some from Germany.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for explaining how it works. I think I'd rather have it via switch but that's just me.

Not the most elegant UI but it is simple and so far it works well. It is not finicky like some twisties I have encountered in the past and I can operate it one handed.

I think Mag is actually making some pretty decent LED lights right now even if they are not as "cutting edge" as some other manufacturers.

Frijid

Enlightened
Not the most elegant UI but it is simple and so far it works well. It is not finicky like some twisties I have encountered in the past and I can operate it one handed.

I think Mag is actually making some pretty decent LED lights right now even if they are not as "cutting edge" as some other manufacturers.

I'll have to watch a YouTube video, I'm curious to see how it works

Sometimes the simple design is the best choice lol. I carried a mini mag every day through middle and high school and a few years past before I went to LED. My EDC backup light is a solitare LED, so I've got respect for them.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local WalMart had the first generation of ML25's. They had some new style package'd ML25 twin packs with first gen ML25's. A 2 and 3 cell in the package.

They also had some 611 lumen ML50's in the same packaging.
I opted for the EDC combo of a Gerber knife and 2aaa minimag in the new packaging.
IMG-20190413-191408.jpg

I was glad to see my local WalMart seems to still be buying Maglite products to sell.

Now regarding the China thing, Maglite has a factory the size of a shopping mall that manufactures lights in house largely of US sourced materials. They use CREE LED's, some of which are made in America, some from Germany.

I picked up a couple of those Mini Mag AAA/Gerber combos along with a couple of the ML25 2C/3C combo packs, screaming deals at the close out prices. Will make great gifts. I also see that the walmarts near me have the 3C ML50's marked down to $25.....I can't think of a Chinese made light near as well made as the USA Mags at these price points.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can't get any simpler than a twisty! One of the reasons that I like the ML25's better than the AA Min Mags is that the larger diameter head/barrel make it easier to twist on with one hand. Overall I think Mag's UI's are pretty simple and intuitive - no need to break out a instruction manual and a flow charts to change modes. A quick double twist is easy enough.....just like on the non-pro AA Mini Mags.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the larger diameter of the ML25 is an advantage making the twist action with one hand easier. Sometimes multi-mode twistys don't work that well especially one handed,no such problems with ML25.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been tempted to get the 3 cell version, because I like the C form factor as well as some others here have mentioned, but I just don't stock any C batteries around these days! Nothing seems to take them anymore except a few flashlights and oddball radios.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been tempted to get the 3 cell version, because I like the C form factor as well as some others here have mentioned, but I just don't stock any C batteries around these days! Nothing seems to take them anymore except a few flashlights and oddball radios.

I really like the form factor of C cell lights, but I don't use alkaline C cells at all (aside from a few I have saved for power outages).

Fortunately the 3C ML25 is very easy to feed with rechargeables. I run mine with either AA Eneloops in a DIY spacer, a single protected Keep Power 18650 in a 3D printed adapter or with Soshine LSD NiMH C's – all 3 options work real well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At one point I found that I did not have anything in my home that ran off C cells. I bought a 4C Mag online and when it arrived I had no fuel for it.

Well, shortly after that the ML25 came out and I stocked up. I found that the C cells were plentiful at big box stores. Yet my favorite ML25 (a 2 cell) runs off white eneloops.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I bought some eneloop kits that came with C adapters. I also bought a 4 pack with charger.

If I recall correct it was from Amazon since the camera store I used to frequent stopped carrying them.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Thanks. I'm thinking of picking this light up tomorrow and checking it out. Two modes now. long run time and it's a twisty. What's not to love.