New Maglite 3rd Generation 2D/3D - 524 + 625 lumens stock!

1979lee

Newly Enlightened
You should be able to find them at Home Depot, Fry's, Lowe's, or Wal-Mart.
Im looking for the "solitaire led" I went to all of those and NADA. tryed target, big 5, kmart (big joke there kmart never HAS any led mag's. hell thery have some incan mags from 2004 at my kmart)
I really dont like online shopping, so im S_outta luck on the solitaire led.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have yet to see a 3rd gen at any Home Depot or Lowes. Ive got both the new 3rd gens and love them both. Addes anti reflective coated glass lenses to them as well as 11000mah Powerex cells and they both crank even harder for it. The new pineapple grip 3rd gens I should own as soon as they show up on Brightguy.com

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I saw them at Lowes on the west end of Edmonton. Anyone buy one yet? I didn't because I thought it was a Popsicle illusion or I'd gotten an optical contusion and was seeing things

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one on the Maglite site. I had forgotten there was a Lowes here, but with Christmas going on i figured i'd just order directly from Mag plus i got the silver one, though shipping is like $13.

Have yet to see a 3rd gen at any Home Depot or Lowes. Ive got both the new 3rd gens and love them both. Addes anti reflective coated glass lenses to them as well as 11000mah Powerex cells and they both crank even harder for it. The new pineapple grip 3rd gens I should own as soon as they show up on Brightguy.com

11000mAh? Wow, that's good for some D NiMHs how do they hold up compared to the Tenergys? Also did you time how long they last on high mode yet?

Last edited:

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
From the reviews and videos Ive seen, Im pretty much convinced I have to get one of these.

Question for me is....will it be made available in the 4-6 D-Cell models?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the reviews and videos Ive seen, Im pretty much convinced I have to get one of these.

I'm no insider, so I can't say for sure. But I'd have thought it unlikely.

The reason for the old clubs was simply the need for volts. The only way back then to get a brighter bulb and more lumens.

4D = 2xCR123a in volts, so has the potential to offer similar levels of brightness, although longer runtimes.

With LEDs and electronic drivers this need is much reduced.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would check out the Fenix LD41 (4AA) and TK41 (8AA) before considering the Mag. While you do get higher run times on high with the 3rd Gen 3D Mag ML300L i find it difficult to lug it around everywhere. The LD41 is far easier and could be used as an EDC with the holster. I kinda regret buying the ML300L at first but it's the kind of light that you could use to keep in your car or in the garage when you need to look for something. In my case, it's a good candle for when there's no power at home. If you got a bunch of D cells needing usage then the ML300L is a good light for you.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

:welcome: Welcome aboard, GasganoFJ60. Guessing from your screen name, are you a Toyota 4wd owner?

wjv

Enlightened
• user configurable switch settings:
General - full power > low power > eco (super low)
Outdoor - full power > low power > strobe (fast flashing)
Law enforcement - momentary on > full power > eco (super low)
Tactical - momentary > full power > strobe (fast flashing)

Great. . All modes START on full power. . Just what I DON'T need. :fail:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anybody owns the 2D or 3D what is the tailcap current?

I have built a 2C Maglite XML2 recently with the 1A to the LED low voltage input driver. And despite it being regulated it just does 1.5A at the tailcap with 2 Alkaline C cells.
I put in 2 L91's which are Lithium AA cells that don't sag as much or very little under load and they produce steady 2.4A at tailcap.

What I take from this is the Alkaline C cells just don't work great under 1A~2A load like the Allkaline D cells hence why the new Maglite 2C or 3C is rated very conservative despite having the same reflector/XML2 set up as the bigger D cell.

bigC

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found the tailcap readings by OldLumens

3D High 1.5 amps at the tail
3D Low .22 amps
3D Eco .10 amps

2D High 2.86 amps at the tail
2D Low .30 amps
2D Eco .14 amps

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
• user configurable switch settings:
General - full power > low power > eco (super low)
Outdoor - full power > low power > strobe (fast flashing)
Law enforcement - momentary on > full power > eco (super low)
Tactical - momentary > full power > strobe (fast flashing)

Great. . All modes START on full power. . Just what I DON'T need. :fail:
Not wishing to point out the completely obvious, but if you want low output as a priority, you do NOT pick a friggin D cell Maglite with 500 lumens and 41,000 lux.

Basically try using the right tool for the job, rather than moaning.

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
I'm no insider, so I can't say for sure. But I'd have thought it unlikely.

The reason for the old clubs was simply the need for volts. The only way back then to get a brighter bulb and more lumens.

4D = 2xCR123a in volts, so has the potential to offer similar levels of brightness, although longer runtimes.

With LEDs and electronic drivers this need is much reduced.

Yeah, I get that, but I like the idea of the extra capacity for longer run time. I do also enjoy the club option for self defense purposes.

I would check out the Fenix LD41 (4AA) and TK41 (8AA) before considering the Mag. While you do get higher run times on high with the 3rd Gen 3D Mag ML300L i find it difficult to lug it around everywhere. The LD41 is far easier and could be used as an EDC with the holster. I kinda regret buying the ML300L at first but it's the kind of light that you could use to keep in your car or in the garage when you need to look for something. In my case, it's a good candle for when there's no power at home. If you got a bunch of D cells needing usage then the ML300L is a good light for you.

I dont mind lugging a Maglite around. I have an old 3 D-Cell that Ive had for YEARS and its my go-to old faithful light. For small lights I have an old Boker with a P60 lamp thats my off-and-on EDC.

:welcome: Welcome aboard, GasganoFJ60. Guessing from your screen name, are you a Toyota 4wd owner?

Thank you.
And yes, I own an 87 FJ60.

To those that already have the new 3rd Gen Maglite, how do they compare to the "classic" Maglites as far as build quality and durability?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both my 3rd gens are outstanding. I have only had to charge the 11000mah Powerex cells once over the months I have had them. Build quality, the 3rd gens have a far better new design switch and the new quarter turn head twisting beats the old system by a mile. My only complaint is that the lens on the 3rd gens is still cheap plastic. Replaced mine with glare coated glass.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
Both my 3rd gens are outstanding. I have only had to charge the 11000mah Powerex cells once over the months I have had them. Build quality, the 3rd gens have a far better new design switch and the new quarter turn head twisting beats the old system by a mile. My only complaint is that the lens on the 3rd gens is still cheap plastic. Replaced mine with glare coated glass.

Well, that's what I was waiting for, some positive feedback :D. At 58.63 I grabbed a 3 cell D in the new matte finish.:wave:

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a 3D 3rd Gen for about 48 at Wally World.
So far I like it.
Comparing it to my old non-D serial number 3D maglite Ive noticed this.
It is very light in weight by comparison.
Empty the OLD 3D is 508g
Empty the 3D 3rd Gen is 332g
The new is about 1cm shorter than the old. I didnt have a ruler so that is an eye-ball guess. Id say a little more than the thickness of the tailcap really.
The body is thinner. Its noticable to me. It will still fit in the regular D-mag mounting brackets, but nowhere near as snug. It seems to hold,mounted viertical or horizonal but i feel if its not mounted on a non-stationary object, like in a vehicle instead of on the wall in the home, there is a slight chance for it to slide out of its brackets in certain mounting configurations.
The button is smaller and its no longer a clicky button but a regular push button.
The head focus feature has changed as well. Instead of making full rotations the head only moves less than a 1/4 turn for the focus range.
The multi-mode-multi-level feature didnt take much time to get used to either.
The stobe function definately a stobe. Its almost as fast as a strobe light youd find on a Djs equipment shelf. And I like the momentary light function. The comes on if your finger is on the button. Its nice for quick point-n-spot usage.

I guess now is the ultimate test, seeing how it holds up to time/use/abuse.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
Not wishing to point out the completely obvious, but if you want low output as a priority, you do NOT pick a friggin D cell Maglite with 500 lumens and 41,000 lux.

Basically try using the right tool for the job, rather than moaning.

Well I have lights that exceed those specs 1,800 lumens 46K CD that start out in low mode.

Just because a light can blast 1,000+ lumens doesn't mean that's what you always want it to do.