New Maglite 3rd Generation 2D/3D - 524 + 625 lumens stock!

mudcamper

Newly Enlightened
Lots here are assuming that it uses an XM-L LED. Anyone have the actual specs, or have one in hand, to confirm this?

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure it is using an XM-L2. The photos on bright guy looks like it is at any rate.

If it's not, those lumen claims are going to be subject to an even sharper decline.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
Lots here are assuming that it uses an XM-L LED. Anyone have the actual specs, or have one in hand, to confirm this?

The newest Minimag Pro uses an XPG2, but looking at the photos as SimulatedZero said, it's appears to be an XML2. It seems to be a bit larger than the XPG, and along with the lumen ratings, I think XML2 is a safe bet.

tjhabak

Enlightened
The MagCharger LED has the XML2 in it, so it sounds like there will be lots of similarities between it and these Gen 3 guys.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure it is using an XM-L2. The photos on bright guy looks like it is at any rate.

If it's not, those lumen claims are going to be subject to an even sharper decline.

Saw them at REI, they do use an XM-L2.

redtruck

Newly Enlightened
I am interested to see how they perform. Would be nice to have something that can throw far, but not at the expense of poor run time/beam pattern. Maybe they got it right?

maglite mike

Enlightened
Why would the electronic switch and the 3 modes make it less of a hurricane light then the previous 3d with 131 lumen and 79 hour run time? The new version has 117 hour run time on econo mode. Is there a parasitic drain? I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff. Regardless, I'm definitely getting one of these.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
In all honesty it probably wouldn't, but it is more complex and I pretty much consider KISS lights that are direct drive to be suitable.

As far as the electronic switch is concerned, there will.always be a drain whenever an electronic control feature is implemented on a light by itself. Lately manufacturers have been able to limit the draw to be negligible. But, with alkalines, a drain like that makes the cells more prone to leaking. It's just one more thing to have to take into account.

maglite mike

Enlightened
I no longer buy D type batteries, hopefully these come in C battery format.

The ML 100 is the same format in C cell only less lumen . I assume they will upgrade the led bulb soon. The ml 125 version is rechargeable and can use alkalines. I have 2 of these and I love em.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not know. Thanks for the info. I checked and is 137 lumens. Ill wait for them to upgrade maybe around 300 lumens :)

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
if these mags are putting out 500-600 lumens otf with xml2 then its only being driven to about 1.4 amps at the led which is not much.

Daekar

Enlightened
if these mags are putting out 500-600 lumens otf with xml2 then its only being driven to about 1.4 amps at the led which is not much.

Not much for you and me and our Eneloops or 18650s. 1.4 amp is a pretty stout load for a D cell that is expected to maintain a long runtime.

As much as this may not be a popular opinion, I'm going to say that these new models are a nice step forward for Joe Public. The high brightness won't last long, but it almost never needs to. Once the current drops and the light enters its main phase, the D-cells will probably perform OK - remember, alkalines are fine for low-current work. I'm not going to run out and get one, but I would definitely consider getting one for friends or family that are in need of something more than a 2xAA light.

Poppy

Flashaholic

The Cree data sheet for the XM-L2 lists 1500ma for 580 emitter lumens.

HKJ lists the discharge time for a D cell alkaline at 1 and 2 amps at between 9, and 2.5 hours respectively.

If the light is regulated, then the amperage draw will change over time as the batteries deplete, and the initial draw may be less because the voltage will be over 4.8 volts. And if I am reading the Cree datasheet correctly, the LED should not be driven above 3.3 volts.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what the expected run-times would be? I certainly do not know. :(

My guess is that it would drop off significantly in the first hour, run pretty good for the next four, and then at about 40 lumens for hours... just a guess.

I did a run-time/calculated output test on a 3D lantern with a Cree XB-D emitter.
Initially the lantern pulled 700 ma high, and 390 ma low. ~210 lumens, and 130 lumens.
At the end of the first hour it was down to about 175 lumens
And at the end of the fifth hour it was just above 120 lumens.
For the seventh through seventeenth hours it was between 100 and 110 lumens.
Hours 18-28 it was between 80-95 lumens.
Hours 29-40 were between 70-80 lumens.
Hours 40-55 were between 40-63 Lumens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT.. I see 117 hours run-times. !!!

Ouch, that's disappointing. I THINK that means that it is regulated, to dive from max output to 10% within the first hour, and then stay there for 116 hours. Unless the run-time they are advertising is for their low level of output.
Geeez I wish there was more standardization in advertising run times and actually using output graphs. Otherwise... how is one to know?

Last edited: