New Malkoff MDC in the works.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked the output on the M361 219b's lowest output and it measures 0.26lm(we'll just call it 0.3lm) This is the perfect moonlight mode in my opinion.

M361N lowest output reads 0.4lm. You might think I'm crazy for crying over 0.1-0.14lm, but there is a noticeable difference between the 2 when you are in a dark room and your eyes have dilated/adjusted to the environment.

Now there's another moonlight snob :grin2:.

Wonder if the perceived difference is more due to the beam pattern of the XPG being a touch more throwy/focused lux hotspots than the Nichia? I have 0.4 lm XPLs and XMLs that are easier on the night vision than 0.3 lm XPGs - more lumens, but less focused hotspots.

My moonlight sweet spot is in the 0.3-0.5 lm range. Yeah that's too 'bright' for deeply dark adapted eyes (i.e., waking from sleep), but the offset is that is that it's bright enough for me to use as general purpose low mode for all my close task, like reading and doing things with my hands, yet with just partial dark adapted eyes (just a minute or two of adaptation). Bright moonlights are my most often used modes and with ~200 hrs of runtime from small single cell rechargeables (NiMh/14500/16340), it's effectively 'free' light and the only mode that doesn't trigger that dang 'remaining runtime clock' in the back of my head.

Been super disappointed with how far off manufacturers are on their moonlight mode specs (output and runtime, off by multiples)... they just can't seem to measure it, or consistently produce it - I stopped buying/trying new lights after all the disappoints, stocked up on my favorite low lumen models and should be set for a loonnnggg time (barring a major efficiency break-though).

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now there's another moonlight snob :grin2:.

Wonder if the perceived difference is more due to the beam pattern of the XPG being a touch more throwy/focused lux hotspots than the Nichia? I have 0.4 lm XPLs and XMLs that are easier on the night vision than 0.3 lm XPGs - more lumens, but less focused hotspots.

My moonlight sweet spot is in the 0.3-0.5 lm range. Yeah that's too 'bright' for deeply dark adapted eyes (i.e., waking from sleep), but the offset is that is that it's bright enough for me to use as general purpose low mode for all my close task, like reading and doing things with my hands, yet with just partial dark adapted eyes (just a minute or two of adaptation). Bright moonlights are my most often used modes and with ~200 hrs of runtime from small single cell rechargeables (NiMh/14500/16340), it's effectively 'free' light and the only mode that doesn't trigger that dang 'remaining runtime clock' in the back of my head.

Been super disappointed with how far off manufacturers are on their moonlight mode specs (output and runtime, off by multiples)... they just can't seem to measure it, or consistently produce it - I stopped buying/trying new lights after all the disappoints, stocked up on my favorite low lumen models and should be set for a loonnnggg time (barring a major efficiency break-though).

I think I can agree with everything you are saying.

I have a couple old 4/7 lights that have nice moonlight modes and that is what got me spoiled. The current lights I use with real moonlight modes are a zebra sc600w MIII HI, and my HDS rotaries. I sometimes use the M361 modules but lately I'm always testing, playing around with various malkoff's; so I do not have any particular light I use.

Granted my moonlight mode needs are only when I am home and when I head off to bed. (Can't jeopardize waking the boss lady). I think many other members have also stated that they do not care for or need moonlight; and would rather have a more useful output. Depending on what time you catch me, I can agree or see the points of both sides.

I'm with you though and i have a few lights that fit my needs for when I use the moonlight mode.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I can agree with everything you are saying.

I have a couple old 4/7 lights that have nice moonlight modes and that is what got me spoiled. The current lights I use with real moonlight modes are a zebra sc600w MIII HI, and my HDS rotaries. I sometimes use the M361 modules but lately I'm always testing, playing around with various malkoff's; so I do not have any particular light I use.

Granted my moonlight mode needs are only when I am home and when I head off to bed. (Can't jeopardize waking the boss lady). I think many other members have also stated that they do not care for or need moonlight; and would rather have a more useful output. Depending on what time you catch me, I can agree or see the points of both sides.

I'm with you though and i have a few lights that fit my needs for when I use the moonlight mode.

hehe... I too am spoiled by 47s moonlights (well, good current regulation and battery versatility too), but also its closely spaced 3 lm low which is my next favorite mode and what I use for walking outdoors (smooth terrain). No luck with Zebras though, I'm batting 0 of 2 - first one failing, second one claiming a perfect-for-me 0.3/3 lms, but actually delivering only 0.07/1.5 lms. I did finally go for an HDS as my last attempt at perfect-for-me mode spacing, and it can certainly deliver that, but it's only half efficient at those low lows as most other lights which defeats one of the primary reasons I like using low lows.

'More useful output' is an interesting thought, and I know I'm probably way out in left field here. Despite being a camper that can use flashlights outside for hours on end, I must admit to still being a little afraid of the dark. Using much more than 3lms walking around my campsite, or nightly dog walking, only seems to degrade my night vision which in turn makes everything else around me (i.e., outside my light's beam) darker and creepier - that gives me the willies.

That said, I of course use higher outputs to check on distant subjects, but only for seconds at time. I have programmed ~35 and 140 lumens on my bicycling light for riding the slower flats/uphills and the faster downhills, respectively - but that's about the only time I use higher outputs continously.

Sorry for the hijack folks. Good moonlight chat INFRNL, thnx.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the very low moonlight camp. I prefer a 0.01-0.05 lumen moonlight for late night use. Anything brighter hurts the eyes in the middle of the night(kills your night vision and wakes you up) and can irritate the GF/wife.

I also prefer constant current so hopefully the new MDC will ditch the PWM as that is one of the only reasons I haven't bought one.

I also would like to see a warm option in addition to the neutral.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the very low moonlight camp. I prefer a 0.01-0.05 lumen moonlight for late night use. Anything brighter hurts the eyes in the middle of the night(kills your night vision and wakes you up) and can irritate the GF/wife.

I also prefer constant current so hopefully the new MDC will ditch the PWM as that is one of the only reasons I haven't bought one.

I also would like to see a warm option in addition to the neutral.

I do not think I have even seen a light with .01-.05lm; that is very very dim. I can say at certain times (maybe waking up from sleep) 0.3lm does provide quite a bit of light, but I'm good with it.

Luckily pwm does not bother me, but I know there are many that cannot tolerate it. I honestly do not know if Gene will eliminate it, but anything could be possible.

EDIT: I stand corrected and need to change a couple of my statements. I need to pay more attention to what i have:laughing:

I have 2 lights that will go down to 0.01-0.02lm which have been mentioned, I guess I did not realize they were that low. I'll have to look back at what I said my M361 219b puts out on lowest mode but today it read 0.23lm which is much brighter than 0.1-0.5lm.

So I will have to retract my statement about liking 0.3-0.5 the most. That would probably be my max liking for moonlight, but i agree with Tachead; for my moonlight use I'd prefer as low as possible but acceptable range is 0.01-0.5.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehe... I too am spoiled by 47s moonlights (well, good current regulation and battery versatility too), but also its closely spaced 3 lm low which is my next favorite mode and what I use for walking outdoors (smooth terrain). No luck with Zebras though, I'm batting 0 of 2 - first one failing, second one claiming a perfect-for-me 0.3/3 lms, but actually delivering only 0.07/1.5 lms. I did finally go for an HDS as my last attempt at perfect-for-me mode spacing, and it can certainly deliver that, but it's only half efficient at those low lows as most other lights which defeats one of the primary reasons I like using low lows.

'More useful output' is an interesting thought, and I know I'm probably way out in left field here. Despite being a camper that can use flashlights outside for hours on end, I must admit to still being a little afraid of the dark. Using much more than 3lms walking around my campsite, or nightly dog walking, only seems to degrade my night vision which in turn makes everything else around me (i.e., outside my light's beam) darker and creepier - that gives me the willies.

That said, I of course use higher outputs to check on distant subjects, but only for seconds at time. I have programmed ~35 and 140 lumens on my bicycling light for riding the slower flats/uphills and the faster downhills, respectively - but that's about the only time I use higher outputs continously.

Sorry for the hijack folks. Good moonlight chat INFRNL, thnx.

I should have multi-quoted, sorry.

I have only ever used one zebra and maybe I got lucky because it may have the lowest moonlight out of all my lights. I will have to see if I can measure it along with my others for comparison.

Yes, good chatting:thumbsup: and nice to change it up a bit from the normal chit chat