New Maratac AAA Brass flashlight

zeros

Newly Enlightened
So I usually do a last-24-hour posting search on google for Maratac AAA, just in case someone puts up for sale a bead-blasted stainless one (which I can't seem to find anywhere), and I ran across this new offering from countycomm:

http://www.countycomm.com/aaabrass.html

Looks really nice to me, but I already have a copper one and don't know how I feel about paying nearly $50 for a brass one after shipping. Thoughts?

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copper is not practical for large lights because of the weight but for small lights, it's a great way to provide a little extra thermal mass and thermal conductivity without the extra weight becoming a problem. That said, copper is about as good as it gets as far as flashlight metals go so all other things being equal, it's going to (however slightly) outperform the brass light. So as I see it, the brass is redundant unless you just really like the look (which is completely understandable from one flashaholic to another) in which case you should go for it just because you want too.

Plus, one day you'll find your stainless one and you'll be very close to a complete set (which I might add is one of the most affordable albeit most venerable flashlight collections one can possess).

zeros

Newly Enlightened
Copper is not practical for large lights because of the weight but for small lights, it's a great way to provide a little extra thermal mass and thermal conductivity without the extra weight becoming a problem. That said, copper is about as good as it gets as far as flashlight metals go so all other things being equal, it's going to (however slightly) outperform the brass light. So as I see it, the brass is redundant unless you just really like the look (which is completely understandable from one flashaholic to another) in which case you should go for it just because you want too.

Plus, one day you'll find your stainless one and you'll be very close to a complete set (which I might add is one of the most affordable albeit most venerable flashlight collections one can possess).

Thanks, I hope to get one soon. Maratac actually said they might release a Rev3 of the Bead blasted in December, so I guess we will see. I have a black, copper, natural and polished one so far, so I'm getting there. What an addiction, haha.

The MT Kid

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post so hello people, but back to the point, I have a brass aaa on the way, that should be here by friday, so if you want to hold off on getting one I can write a mini review for you.:)

Bad_JuJu

Newly Enlightened
Im planning on picking up a few things from county com anyway so I think I'll throw this in the cart along with the other stuff. Its brass and brass is second on my list to copper. Cool they decided to add another option! Now if only they started making more cu 123's. I never got around to picking one up and i've kicking my own butt since for it. :stupid:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my first post so hello people, but back to the point, I have a brass aaa on the way, that should be here by friday, so if you want to hold off on getting one I can write a mini review for you.:)

Welcome to CPF. :welcome:

Brass looks classy.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its more than moderate with a10440 battery.
They don't specify it for use with a 104400 and they are not catering to that with different materials. If it helps with that it's not because it was intended. With the mass involved I would still say it's only about look and feel.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
It arrived. On the shiney side of brass. I think I lucked out on the tint, the one I opened is near perfect, just a very small tad on the rosey side. Noticable improvement over my copper which is a little more on the green side for Med. and Low levels. Being cooler than many 219B leds one could argue that it's better for indoor applications. Levels are Med, Low, High as expected, and mode changing seems super consistent and the threads are super nice; one hand changes no problem. This is a nice one!

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have they changed the UI? All of my Maratacs are M-L-H.
Sorry there was a typo in my post. They are Med, Low, High, but they were not always like that.

Update... I guess I'm getting old... the only deviation in the past was the 2-level version it seeems.

Last edited:

Bad_JuJu

Newly Enlightened
Ive got mine ordered. Now the waiting game. I wonder if these do ok will they look at other versions as they did with the Cu versions. I'm still bumming out about missing out on the Cu123.
Maybe a new CuZn 123!?

Bad_JuJu

Newly Enlightened
Mine came in yesterday. They both look great. Both decently smooth to operate out of the package and I'm sure with little time will break right in. The only thing I can see and its just nitpicky (I could honestly care less) is that the laser etch for the maratac AAA on the heads of both isn't very deep or pronounced in a couple spots. The tint on the brass is a little warmer than the copper. It also has a brighter and tighter hotspot than the copper. I do prefer it when comparing. Anyways, this thread needs pics...

I took a couple quick pics: brass zippo, brass liners on the Kershaw 1993-2 gentlemans folder.

15379903003_e63ae11e3e_z.jpg

I got the idea to swap the heads goofing around. I noticed it looked a little like a bullet.

15812003848_20a8e56614_z.jpg

Strangely enough the brass head would not screw onto the copper body. Oh well don't plan on swapping them anyway!

15997411791_dee437b4c5_z.jpg

And lastly a little size comparison.

15998709712_9e1f3855aa_z.jpg

Left to right:
(Eagletac D25c Ti NW, Prometheus QRv2 Cu, Maratac AAA Cu Rev. 3, Maratac AAA Brass Rev. 3, Olight I3s Going Gear, Zebralight sc-52w L2)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
They don't specify it for use with a 104400 [sic] and they are not catering to that with different materials. If it helps with that it's not because it was intended. With the mass involved I would still say it's only about look and feel.

I'm certain that you're misinterpreting what is really going on afa 10440 and the Maratacs. The clue is that it is their "legal department" that informs you at the bottom of the page what isn't recommended. CountyComm is small, can't afford any suits, my conjecture, but its likely a tight outfit meant to help clever people retire. Anyway, to absolve them from any possible suits, which are a very possible and one might say an inevitable outcome should they advertise "best li-ion pocket rocket ever!" and then someone gets a bad battery and blows their hands off... and my point is that you are trying to mislead yourself into believing something that isn't true: the light was engineered for just 1.5v, and the engineer never conceived anyone might stick a 4.2v in there, even though people have been doing it for years and documneting it on YouTube, and nearly identical lights from larger suit-proof manufacturers do push 10440. Sometimes you just have to read between the lines: they care about your hands and their attorney doesn't want to bankrupt them, but once you make your purchase, its no longer their responsibility, so don't try to get a free replacement under warranty after blowing yours up. I think that's a bit close to the truth than what you've proposed, but it is all induction, so I have no real proof, in the end, JMHO, and YMMV. [highlight]note: REDACTED!![/highlight]

Regarding everything being about the look and feel... I can only say materials matter beyond look and feel. The thermal properties have been mentioned, but its not just heat, copper is a superior conductor —not that that matters, point is, materials are very different even though there is copper in brass. I'm not sure about anyone here, but I often use my mouth as a third hand, and the light goes in there. Copper has superior oligodynamic effects to brass, stainless, titanium, and aluminum.

Brass is also much harder than copper. There is also something related to memory, nostalgia, commemoration with brass in the collective consciousness.

I prefer copper, but I understand brass. What I don't understand is how CountyComm continuously ignores their market and runs out of inventory. That makes no sense to me.*

*there's no good reason I can think of they they don't keep stock in every light they ever made, including all versions of rev 1, rev 2, all the other lights, etc. The market is taking them somwhere they didn't expect, and they're ignoring the profit that is there by narrowing inventory, even if the lights become more valuable post-sale, that doesn't help their coffers. They should really split their lights off from the rest of their catalog, IMHO, if they want to maximize their profit potential. But, like I guessed earlier, this is not a start-up, but security for the future. Still... darnit, I want all the lights they no longer sell (esp. the superior non-pwm Rev. 2)!

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
If they ever make a single mode brass or copper light I'm in. I use a AAA light to find my door in the dark. Usually I am carrying things so have no time to fumble around with modes..just give me as bright as you can. I can change batteries. I would prefer an electronic button because it is easier to push a button one handed than twist a head. I have no use for lights with a magnet that you must pull off the keyring to turn on either. I need my hands free. The flashlight should be on dangling from my keychain. I rarely hold it in my hand.

Bad_JuJu

Newly Enlightened
Vinh is offering to turn a maratac into a single hotrod mode. Check out his subforum for more details.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
They don't specify it for use with a 104400 and they are not catering to that with different materials. If it helps with that it's not because it was intended. With the mass involved I would still say it's only about look and feel..
You can really feel the difference when it's running on a 10440. The heat spreads to all of the light really fast, and the head itself dont feel as hot with the copper versions. Titanium lights running a 10440 is the opposite. They get finger burning hot near the led, and the heat dont spread to the rest of the light. When the lights are hard driven with a 10440 and got almost no mass, the copper is king. It's a reason why so many really hard driven custom lights got the led mounted on a copper mcpcb :)
I have no problems with tailstanding the aaa cu (rev2) in high for as long as i want with a 10440. I dont dare to tailstand any other aaa light with a 10440 unattended. Not even the ones that are made to handle the 10440 like the lf2xt or univex aaa. But my aaa cu is kind of modded with a xp-g2 and fully potted with thermal adhesive, so i guess that helps a bit too.

I would love a brass maratac, but im not buying the pwm version.