NEW MecArmy PT16 3 X CREE XP-G2 single 16340 flashlight 1000 lumens

Danielsan

Enlightened
This little light is awesome! However, there are a couple of things I'd like to bring to everyones attention:

1. The included battery is not protected.

2. The built in charging circuit charges to 4.3 volts before stopping.

3. There does not appear to be a low voltage cutoff at a reasonable voltage. I stopped mine at 2.4 volts when doing a full drain test.

4. The lens is plastic. It scratches VERY EASILY. Be careful!

5. The interface is awkward. Very Klarus RS1a esque.

Aside from that, it's a hilariously bright but tiny light. Blows everyones mind that sees it. The tint is amazing. I don't have a single cool white light that has a tint this nice. The beam is great! Much cleaner than my only other triple (Nichia 219 triple) and floodier.

I think it's a good buy under 60 bucks.
You can use your own protected cells i think, at least something
plastic lens is ok, the olight SR mini used plastic lenses as well.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
HEAVILY EDITED FOR LENGTH:

To me this is nothing like a copy of the OR light. OK, it's a small, triple LED light, but:
Maybe the diamond knurling on the body is similar - so what? I doubt Overready were the first to come up with that design (nor will they be the last). tbh I doubt they have ever heard of Overready. The Niteye was a blatant copy of the unusual ZIP007 custom light.
Still, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good "let's lynch 'em" story.

First, I hate to bump this thread so this will be my second and last post. I contributed what I have to say so there's really no point in repeating it over and over. This is theft. If I understand your post correctly whatev company has never heard of OR. The only similarity is the checkering and the triple LED. It is nothing like OR's offering...... I find that absolutely astonishing. I'd wager there wouldn't be a single member that would not recognize this is a copy. Since you find that term disagreeable, I'll just go with "astonishingly similar".... The only accurate assessment of the light you provided I can find ( aside of some specs ) was it had less "astonishingly similar" attributes compared to the other stolen design of the SPY007. I can agree on that to a degree, taking into consideration the fact that the whatev light is a feeble, cheap, ripoff. Give me 10 minutes a caliper and maybe a voltmeter and I will provide twice as many differences for the SPY007 copy as you did for the OR copy. Not that I find it relevant, it's the entire essence of the light that makes it "astonishingly similar". However I would find that to be splitting hairs...as I find the specs you provided...although they do have merit by default. Taking all things into consideration, I would have to find your assessment as a whole, incorrect. This brings me to my second and last point, which I believe, reaffirms my first.

Still, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good "let's lynch 'em" story.

I couldn't have buttoned up this exchange of views better myself if I took months trying to write it. In fact, Whateve company also has 4 other "astonishingly similar" offerings that look "astonishingly similar" to other popular companies that have earned their rep with originality and hard work. It's obvious these were low cost, low quality, ripoffs for the people that would recognize the "astonishing similarities"...us. However if you don't view the OR sample as a copy, you may find it challenging to find similarities with those as well, but I'll let you decide. I was going to PM you the links as I won't post them. Being that you are a self admitted fact finder and I clearly am not. I wouldn't have to encourage you to use Google before questioning someones motives for making a factually correct post. You already know how to do that. What I do find most curious is you've had lots of time to correct what my motives were at the end of your post simply by assessing the facts. One may find checking the facts first a prudent approach before making such a statement. To be fair, that statement was 100% accurate, but unfortunately it only applied to your own post instead of mine.

Hope everyone has an awesome weekend! Catch you in another thread!

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would an IMR be as safe while
giving better output?

An IMR 16340 might do a better job. This is based upon my experience with other triple XP-G2 S2high output lights. In those cases output was increased over the AW 16340 protected black cell.

kj75

Enlightened
More PT-series to be launched soon, according to the picture at the box.

28j8gfc.jpg

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaah the triad-inspired tailcap looks awesome. Just Wish it took advantage of the best thing about that shape to me, smooth ride to a clicky unfettered by a shroud rim, while still being able to tail stand.

scout24

Flashaholic
Forrest- While I appreciate the zeal with which you defend Oveready's honor, I'll ask you politely to not question the sobriety, sanity, lineage, parentage, intelligence, or motives of other members here. I, and others, share your sense of frustration with the blatant copying, I've been verbose in the past in defense of other original work. Vote with your wallet, and maybe these copies will go by the wayside like others before them. From my reading, the UI is awkward, specs are exaggerated, and I doubt the build quality is even close to Oveready's standards. I highly doubt any of their potential customers were lured away by this offering. Kudos for this being the first direct response to the referenced posting...

houtex

Enlightened
Well mine gave out. It will not go into high or medium even. It only cycles in low, really low, then off. I so wanted to love this light. It's going back to goinggear. : (

Humantorch

Newly Enlightened
My copy of this arrived today (Christmas eve here).

Some interesting observations wrt batteries!

I tried it with just <<some>> of the 16340 batteries I have, and have noticed that the start-up current this light is drawing is more than enough to trip the protection IC on <<some>> of my batteries, notably:
- Some Olight RCR123a's (some do work, some don't)
- None of my XTar 16340 650mah batteries work
- None of my Efest 16340 850mah batteries work

However, the supplied battery works fine, a KeepPower 16340 and MasterInstruments 16340 both worked, a Nitecore NL166 RCR123a worked fine, my AW ICR 123 batteries all work, and both my AW and Efest IMR 16340's work just fine.
And imo the performance was better with the IMR batteries :)

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMR 16340 cell does work better in this light :) In both Lux and lumens.

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the process of testing my mecarmy pt16 alongside my sc62w. I'll upload photos on this forum post to compare the color tint (if it's neutral) and the brightness (it it's 1000 lumens).

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
35 minutes of "Bwwwahahahaha" @ 1000lm.

NW option and I may have cracked! Good, I don't need to buy anymore right now.

Appears to be in stock at illuminationgear

On your comment about neutral white, you're perfectly correct in stating that it is cool white. Nonetheless, I find the tint on the pt16 to be acceptable even for me, more so than my nitecore mh20 (I prefer NW btw). Moreover, I noticed that you tend to gravitate over Zebralight neutral white options, so I included that here in my photos since I recently got it. I must say, I like the zebralight, but I digress.

Here are some photos

top left to right: Fenix E50, Mecarmy PT16
bottom left to right: Zebralight SC62W, Nitecore MH20

Last edited:

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
Love the protected micro-USB port. The rubber plugs that other flashlights use just don't cut it.

I don't care for the cool-white emitters, but everything else looks like plenty of fun.

The term "pocket-rocket" was coined for a monster like this!

In all honesty, the cool tint is quite pleasant. You can check my preliminary test on the matter where I compared it to my Zebralight SC62W, Nitecore MH20 cool white, Fenix E50, and Olight s10 Neutral. As far as tint goes, it has a "Warmer" tint than the already pleasant Nitecore MH20 (imho). Not as "pure white"/"neutral" as Fenix E50, but still pleasant.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ary-test-and-impression&p=4814906#post4814906

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
Cute! looks quite cool, would prefer if it had a black bezel though(ok i guess i am fussy):eek:. My only concern would be durability(threads etc) over time.

Still it looks good value for a fun light:)

Lol, you don't have to worry about durability. It's built like a tank, and I don't mean it as a fanboy. Think Olight S10 aluminum wall thickness, but twice thicker. Oh, and better square edged threads than my Nitecore MH20 and found on both ends. Let's not forget the dual O-ring on the bottom thread, though the head thread "only" has 1.

Only concern you should have is the user interface on the thing and the claimed "1000" lumens, looking more like 600-650 lumens.

Last edited:

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
Mine came in from GG today.

Pros:

Small
great fit & finish
rechargeable

Cons:

UI is a little off. Takes getting use to
Lumens. I don't think it's 1000 lumens. Heck , maybe not even half that. Maybe 400-500.

18350 will not fit

I agree that it's not 1000 lumens. Testing more, I'm doubting my initial "700-800 lumen" range. Based on comparison between the 577 lumen and 920 lumen H1 brightness mode of Zebralight, the PT16 looks more like 600-650 lumens.

Last edited: