**NEW** Nitecore EA4 Pioneer (4*AA, 860lm)

markr6

Flashaholic
I've been using 2000mAh Eneloops over the past 5 years, but I just recently bought a pack of the XX 2500mAh specifically for this torch. They work great and seem like they were made for something like this! Plus it puts the whole 4-pack to use right away :D

I'm about 30 minutes away from a test cycle finishing on mine BC700 charger right now. They are all showing around 2520mAh, and the voltage is around 1.32 so I'm happy to see these will probably have an actual capacity of at least 2550mAh or more!

I think the XX batteries are worth the extra price for something that sucks power like this.

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using 2000mAh Eneloops over the past 5 years, but I just recently bought a pack of the XX 2500mAh specifically for this torch. They work great and seem like they were made for something like this! Plus it puts the whole 4-pack to use right away :D

I'm about 30 minutes away from a test cycle finishing on mine BC700 charger right now. They are all showing around 2520mAh, and the voltage is around 1.32 so I'm happy to see these will probably have an actual capacity of at least 2550mAh or more!

I think the XX batteries are worth the extra price for something that sucks power like this.

+1 on this, I am using the XX batts and feel that it is worth it!

grepeyre

Newly Enlightened
Sweet (like Cartman would say) ;) I was hoping for that answer, I'll order a set soon.

I've never used Eneloops before, about time to. I can't think of a better flashlight to try them on hehe The neighbors better hold on to their eye masks

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just purchased my first enloops. XX coming in the mail next week. Also got a nice charger on the way for them with independent charging stations, etc.

Until then, my Energizer 2500's will have to do.

Jeff

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the lower lumens of the NW help run time any ?

If the driver is the same, if you simply swap in a less efficient emitter, which the NW is, then you get less light and more heat and the same run time, unless the extra heat further reduces efficiency.

I picked up the cool white 860 lumen version for Christmas. It's an awesome flashlight for the money. :) I love the 2-stage button and the UI. At first it's a bit much, but if you take the time to figure it out and play with it for a little you'll find it's not very difficult. The strobe, sos, and beacon modes are easy to access, but you won't access them accidentally, or have to cycle through them if you just want to cycle between the regular modes. You can lock the flashlight off to avoid parasitic drain or accidental activation. The instructions state 3 quick clicks to turn it on after it's been locked off, but I found that didn't work and instead I have to click and hold the button until it turns on. It's a well thought out UI, and the blinking button is nice for finding the light in a dark room. I'm tempted to pick up a 2nd one in NW.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I got my neutral white version yesterday and let me just say that THIS IS MY NEW FAVORITE LIGHT.

This partially sucks because I just got a Solarforce L2T with a custom XM-L dropin from vinhnguyen54 and the poor guy only got to be my favorite light for about a week before being replaced by the EA4. Granted, the EA4 isn't as portable but this thing is WONDERFUL! THE most beautiful beam I've EVER seen with an amazing mixture of flood vs. throw (closer to throw) with an immensely usable spill. And, although the low is a bit to high (I think much higher than the claimed 65 lumens as it lights up my whole back yard decently) you don't need a truly LOW low in a light this size (that's what small EDC's are for). So the interface took about 5 minutes to get used to but I've already nailed it and used it to take my dog on a walk last night and LOVED being able to light up the entire roadway in front of me and "peer" into the woods with the turbo mode in search of anything that may go bump in the night. It easily slides into a pocket if you need it to (not to carry around but I started the walk at dusk and didn't need the light). It's truly wonderful and I love it! Glad I went for neutral white, it's my favorite tinted light now :0)

Last edited:

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Finally got the three I ordered on Friday. :shakehead The instruction sheet on all three have the incorrect directions for exiting lockout mode. FWIW, these all came from the original Battery Junction pre-order which was delayed by several weeks. The S/N's are between 21205835200xx and 21205835202xx, with one from each group of 100 (one 0xx, one 1xx, and one 2xx).

-------------------------------------------

ALL three exhibit the bezel gap shown a few pages back. Also, ALL three have the head rattle (no batteries installed, switch held down). I am confident that this is NOT the switch as the Sysmax rep has told us. INSTEAD, I am pretty confident (and a bit concerned) that it is the REFLECTOR which is rattling around inside of the head. :green: :sick2:

On one of the lights (1xx), you can actually see the reflector moving around just the tiniest bit inside of the head when you look at it out in the daylight. Without removing the bezel, I can't confirm this 100%, but I'd say that I am 95% confident that this is what is rattling, which seems unfortunate. This tells me that the reflector is machined to fit tightly inside the head, but that they have not put any pressure on it to hold it in place (no foam, no sticky). This might be intentional, as it does not seem to affect beam quality whatsoever, but until they say otherwise we will not know for sure.

Finally, all three of them have the funny 3 minute-delayed tacticool decoy mode previously mentioned.

Having said all of that, I am pretty happy with the light overall!! :D The CW's I have are a nice clean white color, but toward the edge of the spill they do exhibit a slight purplish hue.

It can be seen why the spill is this color if you carefully look into the side of the reflector from the opposite side of the light with it turned on low. Hold the light out in front of you at about eye level, turn it on low, and shine it up at the ceiling. Slowly lower the light and look into the far side of the reflector. Once you get it to the correct level (where the very edge of the spill is in your eyes), you will see a reflection of the LED which appears to be diffracted by the slight machine marks in the reflector, and the reflection shows up in the violet through deep blue color range (the machine marks act as a type of diffraction grating, and the spacing of these lines determines the color reflected). That is my scientific explanation anyway. :duh2: I don't think that the lens coating has anything to do with it, but I could be wrong. :shrug: If you start to tip the light toward yourself (carefully!!!), just before the LED comes into view this diffraction will coalesce into a brighter spot where the colors are more apparent and go into the lighter blue range.

Anyway, these EA4's seem pretty hard to beat for the money and the fact that they only use 4 AA batteries! :eek:oo: I'm happy with my purchase even with the minor issues they seem to have (really, these are just nitpicks). :grin2:

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
The rattle mystery has been solved.

Capture_zps3d73c20c.jpg

*Image and disassembly credit go to Craig at Illumination Supply.

Just thought this needed to be posted here. I didn't read it until now, and coulda saved myself some time dorking around with the three lights I have. Looks like I might need to tighten one of my EA4's since I can just see the reflector moving, and that might not be the cause of the rattling issue.

andrew-amanda

Newly Enlightened
One thing I noticed and want to remind everyone, I suggest to read the manual and understand your light's user interface. The switch is electronic, like a camera shutter release. It is not a manual switch. It is not meant to be hard to push. And the switch light is a beacon to help you find the light in the dark when in standby mode. It uses a very tiny amount of power and would take months to drain a set of batteries. You can however turn it off if you want. Look up lockout mode in the manual.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Just purchased my first enloops. XX coming in the mail next week. Also got a nice charger on the way for them with independent charging stations, etc.

Until then, my Energizer 2500's will have to do.

Jeff

Eneloop XX , are the way to go with the EA4, here is a test on high originally posted on another CPF EA4 thread

www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?351365-Nitecore-EA4-Pioneer-(cool-white)-review

This was done in high mode, the batteries used were 3 month old Eneloop Black Xx 2500mAh.
Batteries were fully charged prior insertion, and reading on my volt meter, 1.44, 1.44, 1.44 and 1.43V total 5.75v
Once inserted, the EA4 did give me a 5 flashes, a one second pause and another 8 flashes indicating the total voltage to be 5.8v (spot on!)
The battery was inserted into my home made integration sphere and switch on HIGH MODE 550lumens, THE first reading of 45700 Lux was taken 30 seconds after and every 5mn after. By 15mn the light was getting hot, to heat testing equipment but I would guess about 40 degree Celsius, I decided to switch my fan on and position the EA4 in front of it moving it to the sphere every 5mn for taking a lux reading. By 110 mn I noticed that the low voltage blue fast flashing was on . (This may have come earlier and was not noticed?????)

By 113mn I could visibly see the output dropping
113mn 36800 Lux
114mn 28000 Lux
115mn 22000 Lux and decided to turn the EA4 off

10mn Later, I took another reading on high showing me 22000 Lux, the end cap was removed and refitted to get a volt reading, this was 4 flashes and another 6 indicating the voltage to be 4.6v. The batteries were removed and tested with a voltmeter, 1.16, 1.15, 1.14, 1.13,giving me a total of 4.58v The EA4 volt checker is accurate!

EA4HRT2.jpg

EA4HRT.jpg

So to recap, with Eneloop 2500mAh, I got a constant 45000 Lux for 1H 50mn, not quite the 2 hours but I personally thing this is pretty impressive, This is very well regulated and I think they have also got the heat dispersion well sorted with this one piece large head/ body.

Got some eneloop white also, so I will try to find time to do a run test to see the difference.

CreeCrazy

Newly Enlightened
The Eneloop XX will probably give the longest runtime, but considering they are about twice as much as the regular Eneloops I usually use regular Eneloops unless I really need the extra runtime. If I going camping or gonna be away from home then I'll throw in a set of the Eneloop XX for the absolute best performance.

Last edited:

herosemblem

Enlightened
Which is the one that Costco sells? Thanks. I remember seeing them, and maybe even an included charger too at that store.

markr6

Flashaholic
The Eneloop XX will probably give the longest runtime, but considering they are about twice as much as the regular Eneloops I usually use regular Eneloops unless I really need the extra runtime. If I going camping or gonna be away from home then I'll throw in a set of the Eneloop XX for the absolute best performance.

Perfect logic right there. I only have 4 XX Eneloops right now (for the EA4) and dozens of regulars for everything else.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which is the one that Costco sells? Thanks. I remember seeing them, and maybe even an included charger too at that store.

Costco has the regular 2000M ones but they are Green and Blue instead of white.
The charger is not included but they do have the cheap Sanyo charger for under $10.00 next to the Batteries.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Costco has the regular 2000M ones but they are Green and Blue instead of white.
The charger is not included but they do have the cheap Sanyo charger for under $10.00 next to the Batteries.

Back when Costco sold the white Eneloop batteries, there was a set which included a basic charger. I have several of them.

My alkalines which BJ included (Panasonic branded) have finally gotten to the point where there is no turbo mode. Still plenty bright though. Once these are done for, I'm switching to Eneloops.

KirthGersen

Newly Enlightened
If they produce a version with a low mode, I'll buy it. I can't see spending so much money on a hobbled light.