*new* Olight S1 - XM-L2, (R)CR123

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Have you noticed that the battery when inserted goes the opposite way, most torches that I know of the + side of the battery normally goes in first than the - side facing at the rear, but I wonder why the S1 is different

thburns

Newly Enlightened
Have you noticed that the battery when inserted goes the opposite way, most torches that I know of the + side of the battery normally goes in first than the - side facing at the rear, but I wonder why the S1 is different

I have no idea why, but the entire inside of the battery tube seems to be anodized as well, and the head spring is recessed in an anodized ring as well.

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
Honestly! I don't know why everyone gets so worked up about the propriety cells! If it were the ONLY battery you could use in it, then yeah. But it's not the ONLY battery you can use! You can use your own rechargeables charged on your very own charger! No reason to be upset IMO.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've no problems with their cells.
Ymmv.
I'm guessing a S1R is coming.
S10R suffers from same issues S30R did.
I've two that do same thing, charge pin gets lodged out of place.
Great light, slightly annoying issue for some.

Prepped

Enlightened
So would it be worthwhile holding out to buy the rechargeable model? Would the S1 be easily modifiable to accommodate the recharging station? Will Olight solve the issues the older models had with recharging?

All this and more, on unsolved mysteries...

akhyar

Enlightened
I'm waiting for the price to drop to that region too before contemplating a purchase.
The small size that can throw that much lumens, with easy UI makes it a great EDC

akhyar

Enlightened
Does the S1 have reverse polarity protection

From a review at the othe forum, the reviewer said the light has a reverse polarity protcection.
He installed the battery with the +ve terminal to the head, just like other lights, and it won't switch on.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
So would it be worthwhile holding out to buy the rechargeable model? Would the S1 be easily modifiable to accommodate the recharging station? Will Olight solve the issues the older models had with recharging?

All this and more, on unsolved mysteries...

S1R won't be here anytime soon, if they do it. It's not on the release schedule. I'd say next year.