*new* Olight S1 - XM-L2, (R)CR123

HerecomestheBoom

Newly Enlightened
The S1 ti looks great, i noticed more pics on banggood, it has the limited serial number on the battery cap and the brand printing looks good.
Going to be hard to resist this shiny one, after being so impressed with the normal S1, i contacted my local dealer to declare my interest and he has them on order with no delivery date as yet.

It does look good but I really hope it comes with a NW LED like they did with the titanium S10, preferably without the greenish tint of course.

Did anyone manage to successfully mod a S1 to NW yet?

Tixx01

Newly Enlightened
It does look good but I really hope it comes with a NW LED like they did with the titanium S10, preferably without the greenish tint of course.

Did anyone manage to successfully mod a S1 to NW yet?
Vinh should have them coming out molded soon.

swan

Banned
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the greenish tint of my old ti S10, nothing wrong with the tint of the S1 (as long as you like white).
Agreed.
In some of my lights that range from 4500k- 6700k , which have a normal parabolic reflector set up, i see a yellow or green in the corona, which is obvious and annoying next to a white hotspot. I think this can be attributed to a mix of things- led dome, tint, focal point, the design of the reflector and some funky AR coating on the lens.
With the S1 one of its greatest assets is the big hot spot and the way the tir optic does an outstanding job of of emitting the same white through out the width of the beam, with out any visible tint shift. I hope my ti one is exactly the same .

Ruudr

Newly Enlightened
Wow, so just opened the package and the light is flawless. Feels great in the hand, is light weight and the PVD coating looks great. The only question I have is why there are 2 magnets? One is in the tailcap and one in glued inside the cardboard package where the lanyard is rolled up. Why?

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
Wow, so just opened the package and the light is flawless. Feels great in the hand, is light weight and the PVD coating looks great. The only question I have is why there are 2 magnets? One is in the tailcap and one in glued inside the cardboard package where the lanyard is rolled up. Why?

I got mine a week ago, and i had the o-ring holding the top of the light, and the magnet in the package was placed to hold the bottom of the light instead of a second o-ring like others have received. that is the only reason it is there in my opinion.

phosphor

Enlightened
Are there any beam shots comparing the S1 to the S10 XM-L2 (NOT the S10R!).....the stats between the two seem so close? Only difference seems to be the optics and a bit shorter length. Are the throw and beam profile that significantly different between the S1 and S10 XM-L2 ?

Thanks for any help on this.

Last edited:

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
Are there any beam shots comparing the S1 to the S10 (NOT the S10R!).....the stats between the two seem so close? Only difference seems to be the optics and a bit shorter length. Are the throw and beam profile that significantly different between the S1 and S10?

Thanks for any help on this.

I only have the S1, but from what I have seen, they are very different. The S1 is a wall of light with no hotspot.. it is all hotspot. For example, I can pretty much evenly light up 3/4 of the house across the street.

It is a great work light, which is what I got it for, doing IT stuff where I need light.

phosphor

Enlightened
I only have the S1, but from what I have seen, they are very different. The S1 is a wall of light with no hotspot.. it is all hotspot. For example, I can pretty much evenly light up 3/4 of the house across the street.

It is a great work light, which is what I got it for, doing IT stuff where I need light.
Thanks for your reply! So if your working up close, it's pretty much a wash I would imagine. Distance is where one would see the difference? The reason I ask, is I'm sort of interested in the new S1...but don't want to just "duplicate" my S10 XM-L2, save for the TIR optics and a slight bit of length. I guess the timer thing is unique, but can't see using that much.

Last edited:

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your reply! So if your working up close, it's pretty much a wash I would imagine. Distance is where one would see the difference? The reason I ask, is I'm sort of interested in the new S1...but don't want to just "duplicate" my S10 XM-L2, save for the TIR optics and a slight bit of length. I guess the timer thing is unique, but can't see using that much.

Here is a shot at full power, the gate is about 25-28ft away.

21203508264_eb1a4d2340_b.jpg

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Hey guys really need some help here and not sure if this is normal. Today I received my new Olight S1 Baton and the problem I'm having is that when I go to switch off the torch it does not switch off completely and goes to a very very low mode probably moonlight mode. The only way I can completely turn it off is by slightly unscrewing the back cap, I'm not sure if this is normal

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Sorry forgot to say but this low mode is much lower than moonlight mode so it's not moonlight but much lower

akhyar

Enlightened
is the keeppower 16340 compatible with the S1? if i remember right the S10 isn't (requires an rcr123a w/ the same length as a cr123a like the olighr rcr123a)

I need to answer this query as I've just received the Keeppower battery.
The Keeppower RCR123 is indeed longer than normal CR123 and some other RCR123 such as Olight, AW and Soshine.
Frrm my non scientific measurement using normal ruler, roughly it is about 1 to 2mm longer.

It can fit into the S1, and the S1 can operate as per normal, but it is a tight fit and need to push the tailcap harder when trying to screw it.
For long term use, not sure if it will give problem to the springs inside the S1 but as it is, it can fit into the S1