*new* Olight S1 - XM-L2, (R)CR123

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to answer this query as I've just received the Keeppower battery.
The Keeppower RCR123 is indeed longer than normal CR123 and some other RCR123 such as Olight, AW and Soshine.
Frrm my non scientific measurement using normal ruler, roughly it is about 1 to 2mm longer.

It can fit into the S1, and the S1 can operate as per normal, but it is a tight fit and need to push the tailcap harder when trying to screw it.
For long term use, not sure if it will give problem to the springs inside the S1 but as it is, it can fit into the S1
Akhyar, that sounds like it's too tight.
Might be crushing PCB on that new Keeppower cell?

Not that I haven't crushed cells lol, yup I most certainly have just not in this light.☺

akhyar

Enlightened
Akhyar, that sounds like it's too tight.
Might be crushing PCB on that new Keeppower cell?

Not that I haven't crushed cells lol, yup I most certainly have just not in this light.☺

Indeed it is too tight, but not sure if in the long term it will crush the cell PCB as I can screw the cap all the way down, but with stiff resistance.
As of right now, I'm using my old AW 16340 inside the S1

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't, as explained to me.
It might work with PCB crushed into cell, though will PCB work when it's supposed to, like cut off power at low voltage or not short itself out and be bypassed altogether.
Yeah pure fear, but we don't know if it's crushing it safely or not so FUD is fitting.(Fear uncertainty and Doubt)

akhyar

Enlightened
Wait a second, isn't there a magnet in tail cap you can remove from inside?

I have no intention to remove the tail cap magnet, as I like the function as it is.
So maybe when I'm bored, I can try the Keeppower battery wihout the tail magnet

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm looking forward to your tritium install

This is really for onthebeam. I did the trit on the lanyard slot of an S15R. My S1 still had not arrived. I used a single 6mm trit. It took several tries to get the finish I wanted but that is because I was being picky (note: don't use old norland, you will regret it).

I'm planning to do the same thing to the S1 when it arrives.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1443864908.625255.jpg

firsttothescene

Enlightened
Had the S1 for a few days now.... it is awesome!! This is my 1st Olight and I think it is a VERY high quality light. I think it looks better with the clip on. And like everyone else, I can't believe how tiny it is. Very cool light, really glad I bought it.

HerecomestheBoom

Newly Enlightened
Vinh should have them coming out molded soon.

I must have missed this post last time I was on.

I've seen that name mentioned before but when I google him all I get is more forum posts mentioning the guy.

Can you tell me who this Vinh is and how to get in touch with him perhaps?

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must have missed this post last time I was on.

I've seen that name mentioned before but when I google him all I get is more forum posts mentioning the guy.

Can you tell me who this Vinh is and how to get in touch with him perhaps?

he has a subforum here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?140-Vinhnguyen54
or you can go straight to his modded olight S1 page here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?408032-S1vn-Nano-Searchlight

a warning.... be careful of the rabbit hole your about to go down.

HerecomestheBoom

Newly Enlightened
he has a subforum here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?140-Vinhnguyen54
or you can go straight to his modded olight S1 page here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?408032-S1vn-Nano-Searchlight

a warning.... be careful of the rabbit hole your about to go down.

Thanks for the links....and warning, haha.

I just want a slightly warmer version and then I'll be done buying lights for a while, otherwise the S1 is perfect for me.

The 4000K version sounds nice but I think I'll wait till Tixx receives his and see how he likes them. His advice has always been very helpful to me so I'll trust his judgement on this one too.

onthebeam

Enlightened
This is really for onthebeam. I did the trit on the lanyard slot of an S15R. My S1 still had not arrived. I used a single 6mm trit. It took several tries to get the finish I wanted but that is because I was being picky (note: don't use old norland, you will regret it).

View attachment 1201
Thanks! Exactly what I had in mind. Waiting on trit and off to Hong Kong for two weeks so will work on it later in the month.

CyBuzz

Newly Enlightened
well, it showed up on Saturday with my 12-pack of surefire batteries. I have to say, i love it. the UI is nice, it is perfectly sized and bright. I did have to remove the magnet from the tailcap. i didnt want it in my pocket with credit cards for fear of messing them up and when I put it in my other pocket it kept waking up my phone. tried it with the clip and that worked but doesnt work for my weekday dress @ work.

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys. Have anyone noticed, that Olight changed package in first few months after release? I got one flashlight that had on package 25 days of runtime, and than another Olight S1 from different seller and there is 40 days of runtime on package. Also, in the package with 25 days specified, there is only 1 spare o-ring holding the flashlight, but on the package with 40 days runtime specified there are 2 spare o-rings. What the hell??? Does any one noticed this, is there already some upgrade version released, or what? see pictures http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/UT8zSvRXB4aXXagOFbX9.jpg
http://g04.a.alicdn.com/kf/UT81J2TXyNXXXagOFbXf.jpg

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woot, that was quick!

Which is the one on the right and will there be beam shots?

Which one you like best so far?
Goes from left to right in all shots: stock, 5000k, 4000k and 2900k.

Have to see when I get a chance as I have never done beam shots, but will attempt. This is what I had to me for throughout the day yesterday.

Let me get back to you on what I like best. Still comparing. I will note that the 2900k is something I do not like if looking in a fall setting which had begun here (makes plants and leaf litter all blend togetber) . BUT I do like the 2900k extremely well for around the house and office because it does very well showing colors of items. So I will get back to you on more of my thoughts.

HerecomestheBoom

Newly Enlightened
Goes from left to right in all shots: stock, 5000k, 4000k and 2900k.

Have to see when I get a chance as I have never done beam shots, but will attempt. This is what I had to me for throughout the day yesterday.

Let me get back to you on what I like best. Still comparing. I will note that the 2900k is something I do not like if looking in a fall setting which had begun here (makes plants and leaf litter all blend togetber) . BUT I do like the 2900k extremely well for around the house and office because it does very well showing colors of items. So I will get back to you on more of my thoughts.

Oh man, I just wanted to get one more, but a really warm one for lighting up a tent or a room & a less warm one for EDC is starting to sound tempting now. I guess this is what tab665's warning was about.. :rolleyes:

Thanks so far and keep us posting please.

ps: I've never done a beam shot neither.. :cool:

View attachment 1201

Thanks for sharing your idea!

iOJ73q.gif

Last edited: