*new* Olight S10R, S15R and S20R

gunga

Flashaholic
I believe I read that it is only for 14500s. This makes sense because remaining capacity and voltage track well in a 14500 cell but not in nimh.

keithy

Enlightened
I believe I read that it is only for 14500s. This makes sense because remaining capacity and voltage track well in a 14500 cell but not in nimh.
Good to know - thanks. I couldn't find any info on it anywhere, and the manual is silent on it. I also have an Xtar WK41 (1xAA/14500) as well, and that one has a low battery indicator that works with both 14500 and NiMH cells. I tested another NiMH in the S15R and again, no low battery indicator until the LED dimmed. The voltage was under 1.0V when I took it out to test.

Wet

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tested the moonlight mode runtime of these lights? My S10R pulls about 9 mA from li-ion battery in the moon mode, which would translate into 72 hours assuming 650 mAh battery capacity. I decided to test with S10 and Olight RCR123A li-ion battery and it lasted for about 60 hours until the protection circuit in the battery kicked in.

Patagonicus

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tested the moonlight mode runtime of these lights? My S10R pulls about 9 mA from li-ion battery in the moon mode, which would translate into 72 hours assuming 650 mAh battery capacity. I decided to test with S10 and Olight RCR123A li-ion battery and it lasted for about 60 hours until the protection circuit in the battery kicked in.

I haven't. I have both the S10R and the S20R, with the S15R on the way. I obviously love this style of light. :)

Would you like me to run the moonlight run test on the S20R anyway?

Wet

Newly Enlightened
That would be interesting to see..

Since S20R battery has 4 times the capacity of S10R, it should last for 240 hours, but then again S20R moonlight is brighter which would shorten the runtime. On the other hand Olight claims 480 hour runtime.

Patagonicus

Newly Enlightened
Alright, I'll start it tonight then. If Olight is anywhere close to right on their stats for the included 2600 mAh cell, I should see you back in about 20 days :).

Let's hope I don't forget about it!

Tapis

Enlightened
... but then again S20R moonlight is brighter which would shorten the runtime. On the other hand Olight claims 480 hour runtime.
I personally care less about runtime than lumens output, and a dim moonlight is definitely more useful to me. Actually, the dimmer the better.

Marfenix

Newly Enlightened

I tested the Olight S10R with a freshly recharged Olight RCR123A li-ion battery in moonlight mode and it lasted 73 hours.

Last edited:

Wet

Newly Enlightened
I tested the Olight S10R with a freshly recharged Olight RCR123A li-ion battery in moonlight mode and it lasted 73 hours.

Good to know. My 60 hour estimate was a bit conservative, actually it got closer to 68 hours and my battery was charged to 4.16 V. So the S10 and S10R runtimes seem quite similar.

Wet

Newly Enlightened
How can the S20R driver tell the difference between sitting on the charging dock, or if a battery was inserted wrong way into the light?

When you place S20R on its micro-dok charger, the tailcap disconnects the battery negative end from the flashlight body. Then the charger puts (5 V?) positive charge on the body and current flows through the body, the driver and through the battery, back into the charging dock's center terminal, which causes the battery to recharge. Now if you place a cell backwards into the battery tube, it will also make a (4.2 V) reverse voltage, so how can the light tell the difference? Why doesn't reverse polarity protection kick in when charging the light?

Patagonicus

Newly Enlightened
That would be interesting to see..

Since S20R battery has 4 times the capacity of S10R, it should last for 240 hours, but then again S20R moonlight is brighter which would shorten the runtime. On the other hand Olight claims 480 hour runtime.

Well, my S20R moonlight results are in!

It finally kicked off completely sometime today after I left for work. At the minimum, it lasted at least 17 days (408 hours) and at most 17.5 days (420 hours). Not as much as the ANSI rating would indicate, but then again, I don't know if the charging cradle charged it to a full 4.20 volts either.

Great, now I can actually use the light again for the first time in weeks! :laughing:

Wet

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for doing the test! Your result sounds reasonable as I measured 6.8 mA tailcap current from S20R, and 2600 mAh / 6.8 mA = 382 hours. What's weird though is that S20R moonlight is brighter than S10R moonlight while still pulling less amps from the battery.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Well, my S20R moonlight results are in!

It finally kicked off completely sometime today after I left for work. At the minimum, it lasted at least 17 days (408 hours) and at most 17.5 days (420 hours). Not as much as the ANSI rating would indicate, but then again, I don't know if the charging cradle charged it to a full 4.20 volts either.

Great, now I can actually use the light again for the first time in weeks! :laughing:

Great results for this small light. And thanks for sharing.p May I know the capacity of the battery used for the conduct of this test?

Patagonicus

Newly Enlightened
Great results for this small light. And thanks for sharing.p May I know the capacity of the battery used for the conduct of this test?
No problem.The battery I used was the one that came included with the light, an Olight 2600 mAh cell. That's the same cell listed in the manual for the run time estimates provided by Olight.

UnderPar

Enlightened
No problem.The battery I used was the one that came included with the light, an Olight 2600 mAh cell. That's the same cell listed in the manual for the run time estimates provided by Olight.

Wow! That's not bad at all. 2600 mAh for 408 hours on moolight. :clap: