NEW Olight S2 - 950 lumens

markr6

Flashaholic
I tested the high mode today. It ran for 3h16m at an absolutely stable level before it started falling. The red low battery warning turned on at 3h37m (60% output level). Finally, the output level fell below 10% at 4h00m.

HrYg7sU.png

I like my Zebralights, but damn! This is pretty impressive. Thanks for the test.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for posting your runtime chart. A runtime chart is one of the most useful bits of information about a flashlight. This one looks very good.

I am one who frequently looks for flat output from flashlight. It's one reason why I like ZebraLights so much. This Olight S2 looks pretty darn good itself.

DMS1970

Enlightened
I just received my s1, and ordered an s2 today. I have a question about the TIR optics. Is this setup more prone to damage/scratching than a regular lens? Is the actual led sticking through the reflector? Is the reflector glass or plastic? If you dropped it in the sand or got a bunch of grit in it, would it degrade performance? I really dig the floody beam on the S1, it's a lot larger hotspot than my sc5, just wonder if it is more susceptible to damage?

Wet

Newly Enlightened
I just received my s1, and ordered an s2 today. I have a question about the TIR optics. Is this setup more prone to damage/scratching than a regular lens? Is the actual led sticking through the reflector? Is the reflector glass or plastic? If you dropped it in the sand or got a bunch of grit in it, would it degrade performance? I really dig the floody beam on the S1, it's a lot larger hotspot than my sc5, just wonder if it is more susceptible to damage?
Don't worry, the led is safe behind the lens and the lens is thick, something like 1 cm. :) The optical lens is made out of acrylic which is plastic. It probably scratches and melts more easily than a glass lens, but should be more shatter proof.

DMS1970

Enlightened
  1. Don't worry, the led is safe behind the lens and the lens is thick, something like 1 cm. :) The optical lens is made out of acrylic which is plastic. It probably scratches and melts more easily than a glass lens, but should be more shatter proof.

Thanks. The TIR optic looks pretty neat, and is nice and smooth, I couldn't keep my finger out of there.LOL

The larger hot spot/floodier beam is great for up close work!

leonardo4358

Newly Enlightened
I tested the high mode today. It ran for 3h16m at an absolutely stable level before it started falling. The red low battery warning turned on at 3h37m (60% output level). Finally, the output level fell below 10% at 4h00m.

HrYg7sU.png

How to test this?

Dimethyl

Newly Enlightened
How to test this?

I will tell you how I did it but it probably won't be very useful. I have an X-Rite i1Display Pro display calibration tool that has an ambient light measurement feature. There's a free program called Argyll and one of the utilities is spotread.exe which is able to get a raw numeric reading out of the device. I wrote a custom program that wraps around spotread.exe, calls it on a timer, and logs the results.

I think most people use datalogging light meters to do this, like the Extech HD450 for example.

Craigd18

Newly Enlightened
Can someone who has the S2 give me an idea about what the light from the S2 looks like. Is it white, warm, some other color??

Thanks.

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't plan on selling my S30R, I really like the rechargeable base aspect.

Not a bad light at all. But the non-rechargeable version (S30) was selling for $22 recently. I believe the S2 was the reason based on available stock.

Can someone who has the S2 give me an idea about what the light from the S2 looks like. Is it white, warm, some other color??

I don't like to go by photos online, but the Fasttech beamshots of the S2 seem to have a healthy dose of purple.

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Just got mine...not too shabby. The only gripe I have so far is the half a second shutoff time. Tint isnt bad

The turnon and shutoff time for ZL is much longer, I'm not experiencing any lag with shutoff time with an S1, I'll test it out when my S2 comes in.
Can you comment on the 10 minute reset on turbo?

Dimethyl

Newly Enlightened
If the moonlight is that dim, I wonder if it will draw less current from the battery and last much longer than S1 which draws about 10 mA tailcap current on moonlight?

I got some new equipment and am finally able to measure this accurately. It's drawing 1.21 mA on moonlight (battery was about 4.05V). This is for an estimated 0.07 lumens (a different S2 from the one I measured originally). Someone else confirmed a really dim moonlight in one of the review threads, so I'm guessing they're all like this. It's turned out to be one of my favorite "features" of this light; really nice when your eyes are fully dark-adapted.

I also checked the standby current (i.e. parasitic drain of the switch). It's around 1.9 µA.

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I received the S2 a few days ago. Just got it up and running yesterday (had to wait for my batteries to arrive). I love the broad, flood beam on this flashlight. The S2 has a really nice feel to it in your hand and appears to have a pretty solid build quality. Aesthetically I love the design, especially with the blue accents around the lens and the push-button switch.

One thing I quickly noticed which I did not like about this light was the pocket clip. It's rather large and obtrusive. The upper portion of the clip that rides on top of whatever clothing/fabric you attach it to is too tight/narrow - and it makes it a bit of a struggle to push the pocket clip all the way down on your pants pocket. Once you do that though - it can be bit difficult to retrieve the flashlight in a smooth motion. I found that it was catching and pulling up on my pants pocket. I should note that I was wearing (and normally wear) Propper Tactical/Cargo pants so perhaps the material was a bit thicker than your standard pair of jeans.

Just a little while ago I was thinking about how my Olight S2 is nearly identical in size (both length & width) to my other primary flashlight (Fenix LD12). So I decided to pull my pocket clip off my LD12 and try it on the S2 - and what do you know, it fits perfectly! It has a much more discreet form factor in comparison to the factory pocket clip, and now I can easily attach the S2 to my pants pocket and retrieve it without any unnecessary resistance. I'm quite pleased that the Fenix pocket clip was compatible and like the new look of my S2 with it attached. I'm going to place an order with Fenix for 2 more LD12 pocket clips so I can replace the one I took from my LD12 and have one extra as a spare.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
One thing I quickly noticed which I did not like about this light was the pocket clip. It's rather large and obtrusive.

That's one thing that really had me passing over Olight in the past and still to this day. On the S1, the clip is damn near 1/3 the width of the actual light!! Come on! A nice flush clip would make it a perfect light.