• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Product Announcement - Nitecore Concept 1 C1 1800 Lumen Compact Flashlight

cubebike

Enlightened
I try my best to answer. - for me the hotspot showing creamy white color and bit of yellowish ( warm?) over the spill area. It has large hotspot and still very floody but somehow a bit ringy towards the edge and some near the hotspot.

It is very bright and gets very hot quickly. I think the ATR ( temp control) kicks in very soon and i can tell the output was constantly changing while it was on high / turbo mode.

I dont think i would pocket carry it unless i have inactivated it ( unscrew the tailcap by half a turn)cos the swtich was way too sensitive.

Imo the UI should be simplified - should be able to change mode anytime iso need to start from off . Also, the switch should have a lock/ stopper/lock-out features in order to aviod unintentional activation. With such high output and temperature, i would imagine the risk of getting burn or 🔥

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Bummer!

5 brightness levels are available. When the light is in standby status, hold down the side switch until the light enters the memorized brightness level from last time. Continue to hold down the switch to cycle through "Ultralow-low-mid-high-turbo". Release the switch to select and memorize the current brightness level. To reselect brightness level, tap the switch once to turn off the light and hold down the switch to cycle through 5 brightness levels.

Man, I'm going to have a nightmare about this UI tonight.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they could read my mind and make a light with the UI that I want, and if they then gave it to me to try, how long would it take for me to find three things that I don't like about it?

UI fan I am not. I select a light based on exciting power to size ratio, and useful beam profile. This light has these things. I know that if I can find the button, I can turn it on and turn it off, and do other things, as the UI permits. I know that lots of flashlight enthusiasts have begged the manufacturers to supply that particular UI, and that lots of flashlight enthusiasts have screamed at manufacturers to stop making that same particular UI. I just have to remember which light requires what action on my part to get from max to low and from low to max.

I know that different classes of led hand-held flashlights have different UIs, due to different classes of flashlight enthusiasts screaming at the manufacturers louder than I ever will.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is on the way. Excited. Reading about the UI reminded me of something I discovered yesterday. As I was evaluating my new Brass Ant by Lumintop, I put it side by side with my Titanium Tool. UI's could not be more different or opposite, yet in real life I can use either light without any problem even though they are radically different. I expect the Concept C1 to be no different....

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I am sticking up for the light because I have one on order - but to me I like the sound of the UI because no tricky click click click to get this or that (like zebra's - this will stir the fanboys) just preselect a medium output for turning on and off, simple! - but it still has shortcut's to turbo and low anyway if you want.... to me for work lights are a tool and you just want them to work and work now with easy on and off - also when you have to lend your light out people they won't change settings on you or strobe themselves, then trying to explain what they have done, take it off them fix it hand it back.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer!

5 brightness levels are available. When the light is in standby status, hold down the side switch until the light enters the memorized brightness level from last time. Continue to hold down the switch to cycle through "Ultralow-low-mid-high-turbo". Release the switch to select and memorize the current brightness level. To reselect brightness level, tap the switch once to turn off the light and hold down the switch to cycle through 5 brightness levels.

Man, I'm going to have a nightmare about this UI tonight.

So it's press and hold to turn on, which is good as it reduces the chance of accidental activation, and click to turn off. Sounds good so far. Press and hold after first turn on to cycle through modes. That's ok, though some have preference for the sequencing: go into the next higher mode, or always start cycling from the lowest. But then to cycle through the modes again, now you have to first click it off and then press and hold? Why?! This is where it makes no sense. Might be a bug. What happens when you press and hold a second time without first clicking it off?

markr6

Flashaholic
As time goes on, it seems like UIs are getting worse instead of improving. It seems like it would be the easiest thing to improve compared to physical limitations like lumens, heat management, etc.

With a switch already sticking out of the body like this, it would have been cool to make it a "sliding" switch with infinite adjustability, or with defined 'clicks' if they wanted to stick with a few preset modes. Not sure that would be easily waterproofed, though.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
As time goes on, it seems like UIs are getting worse instead of improving. It seems like it would be the easiest thing to improve compared to physical limitations like lumens, heat management, etc.

With a switch already sticking out of the body like this, it would have been cool to make it a "sliding" switch with infinite adjustability, or with defined 'clicks' if they wanted to stick with a few preset modes. Not sure that would be easily waterproofed, though.

Magnetic slide switch!

mkygod

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so i got the flashlight. First Impressions:

- its very bright, comparable intensity to my Nitecore MT26, but with a bigger hotspot.
- the button UI is a bit weird but i've gotten used to it
- the button rattles side to side a bit too much for my liking. Maybe tightening the screw to increase the tension might help?
- hotspot is large and smooth but the center of the hotspot has a pronounced yellow spot. It's like im looking at a sunny side up egg, but with a very small yolk. Is this normal?
- The voltage indicator blinking after battery is installed is neat and useful.
- For some reason the flashlight just shuts off when i used a nearly fully charged battery (flashlight indicates 4.1v). Works at min brightness but when i try to ramp it up, it just flashes and turns off and never turns back on again until i reinstall the battery.
- When using a more depleted battery (flashlight indicating 3.5v), the flashlight works as expected.

For reference, both batteries i used are Eagletac 3100mah 18650 3.7v 11.5wh battery (red/white color).

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, so i got the flashlight. First Impressions:

- its very bright, comparable intensity to my Nitecore MT26, but with a bigger hotspot.
- the button UI is a bit weird but i've gotten used to it
- the button rattles side to side a bit too much for my liking. Maybe tightening the screw to increase the tension might help?
- hotspot is large and smooth but the center of the hotspot has a pronounced yellow spot. It's like im looking at a sunny side up egg, but with a very small yolk. Is this normal?
- The voltage indicator blinking after battery is installed is neat and useful.
- For some reason the flashlight just shuts off when i used a nearly fully charged battery (flashlight indicates 4.1v). Works at min brightness but when i try to ramp it up, it just flashes and turns off and never turns back on again until i reinstall the battery.
- When using a more depleted battery (flashlight indicating 3.5v), the flashlight works as expected.

For reference, both batteries i used are Eagletac 3100mah 18650 3.7v 11.5wh battery (red/white color).

Your issue with the flashlight shutting off on a full battery is due to it being a protected cell, current draw is tripping the protection circuit.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah thanks. That makes sense.

What 18650 battery would you recommend?

I guess i need something like this:

http://www.nitecorestore.com/Niteco...ery-2-Pack-p/bat-imr18650-nite-3100-35ax2.htm
Those should work. In theory so should most other high drain unprotected cells.

One of the product images in post 1 has a footnote that a battery capable of at least 8A is required for turbo output.

I have a C1 in the mail that should arrive today. I'll be posting a review; I'll will run some tests to confirm the results you're seeing with your current battery but I'm willing to bet Oz nailed it as the most common protected cells are 4A or 6A.

Last edited:

mkygod

Newly Enlightened
Here is a photo of the hotspot which shows a yellow center. This is about 6 feet away from the wall:
WFJFnNf.jpg

I'd like to know if this is normal. I've never had this kind of anomaly with any flashlight i've owned and I've owned 3 other Nitecore flashlights before this.

Mikasa

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I also have a C1 coming in the mail. I won't be able to check for that yellow hot spot concern until I get my hands on it, but I'm looking forward to Bdm82's review.

Having said that, I own two other Nitecore lights and they don't have that yellow hot spot.

mkygod

Newly Enlightened
Before I go out and buy an unprotected battery like the Nitecore IMR 18650 3100mAh, id like to know if there are any inherent dangers of using this kind of battery with the Concept 1.

Nightmare stories from vape users make me a bit cautious.

Also, I have an older Nitecore intellicharger i4 from a few years back and im hoping it can charge this type of battery safely unattended.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello! I also have a C1 coming in the mail. I won't be able to check for that yellow hot spot concern until I get my hands on it, but I'm looking forward to Bdm82's review.

Having said that, I own two other Nitecore lights and they don't have that yellow hot spot.
Thanks Mikasa! I'm already making good headway on the review (though runtimes will take a while to test).

As for tint impressions, I'd say it's is comparable to lights with cool white (CW) XM-L2s or other CW XHP35s. The hotspot is creamy with a little yellow while the spill shows the cooler blues expected in a CW light.

I'll post comparison shots in the review, but basically I don't think the tint is anything too unique or disconcerting. That said, those who live and die by 219Bs won't be swayed in the least, if you know what I mean.

The EC4SW with MT-G2 has more yellow while the S41S with 219B has less, for comparison. (Those both are NW.) But overall the colors here are most similar to several CW XM-L2 lights I compared it against.

Other first impressions... output seems legit, the UI is fairly flexible but very different, the design is super sleek, and it will take unprotected flat tops fine.

I don't want to take over this thread so I'll wait to post more in the review thread... but hopefully this answers a few questions at least.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine. The UI is easy to learn but the light gets SO HOT on turbo in an instant and the magnet sucks, it won't keep the light in position with the battery in it. It is super bright.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine. The UI is easy to learn but the light gets SO HOT on turbo in an instant and the magnet sucks, it won't keep the light in position with the battery in it. It is super bright.

Quote: "The UI is easy to learn..." I like that.

Quote: "but the light gets SO HOT on turbo in an instant" I like that. I can let it give it all its got in an instant, no holds barred. Check. Good.
There are lower modes for those occasions when I want to have longer runtime per fuel supply and heat generation management. That is ok/good, too.

Quote: "and the magnet sucks, it won't keep the light in position with the battery in it." No prob, if I can remove the magnet. That is the only modification that I made to my Baton. Its curiously strong magnet resides adjacent to a magnetic business-card size Moscow subway map, on a light fixture in my room.

Quote: "It is super bright." For its size? This is very important to me. Check. I love it. That seals the deal for me. I am gonna wait and see if my favorite mod person is going to offer this light. If not, then I will probably order from the friendly folks at Going Gear when they have it, which appears to be not yet, currently.