*new/prototype* Fenix LD50

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Thanks oKtasiTe, that's good news indeed!
I agree. Although it doesn't have a true low, I don't see why so many are disappointed. I don't know of any other light this pocket friendly with near-2000-lumens output at this price point. Sure it might be like having two smaller flashlights stuck together, but it seems to be done in the best way possible, and a whole lot more reliable and prettier to opting for the duct-tape option. ;)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am liking this light a lot.

I usually am not one of those people who cares about a super low mode of .5 lumens or 1-2 lumens, but at least most of their lights should have a low of 5-10. Recently a lot of Fenix lights have lows of 20-30 lol. Not a bad level, I just agree that one more lower level would be nice too. Again, not really a big deal to me like it seems to be to some, but still kind of weird and amusing.

We don't know the price point yet though. It has to be under 100 dollars though at least to make sense in their line up... hmm? I'm gonna say 95-100 MSRP? If it's lower than that I'll be surprised and happy.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
I am liking this light a lot.

We don't know the price point yet though. It has to be under 100 dollars though at least to make sense in their line up... hmm? I'm gonna say 95-100 MSRP? If it's lower than that I'll be surprised and happy.

It's priced at $120 on the website.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original price before discount is 10$ more expensive than the TK35UE! What a bummer...

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just saw you wrote 120 here, but what I was coming to post now is that I actually thought it was going to be higher now than that 100 or so.... Why? They literally have it shown next to the TK35 UE on their site in the description pics. There is no way they would directly undercut one of their own lights so significantly with a very similarly spec'd light.

Still a very cool light... but I wish it was a bit cheaper. If you use available coupon codes for places like Fenix-Store you can get it for about 110. Not that far off from where I was hoping I guess.
I think at least I am just wanting a cheaper light but probably should be fair; there is a whole lotta light and features in this little package.

I kinda think they had missed a big opportunity to make this a dual tint led light though with one neutral and one cool white led. That would have made one heck of a nice beam in my opinion.

Last edited:

Taz80

Enlightened
I like the idea of this light, but I think they could have done so much more with this design. Since it has 2 independent drivers why not 2 switches. And one reflector throw based and one flood based. You would have 2 lights in one that is easily pocketable. And set it up like the TK51, both lights working independently or together.I would also have liked to see the switch recessed to cut down on the accidental activations.

kj2

Flashaholic
I like the idea of this light, but I think they could have done so much more with this design. Since it has 2 independent drivers why not 2 switches. And one reflector throw based and one flood based. You would have 2 lights in one that is easily pocketable. And set it up like the TK51, both lights working independently or together.I would also have liked to see the switch recessed to cut down on the accidental activations.
I like that idea. And they could add a voltage indicator (prefer a color-led underneath the switch), location indicator (so you can find your light at night) and include a option that in case of emergency you can use AA batteries (low/med/high 1-led only).

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UI seems a big failure to me. I can't seem to confirm if it has mode-memory which would help just a little (but I hate mode memory), but output seems to always cycle from Turbo on down according to the information on their website. That seems crazy to me given you would always be starting at 1800 lumens as you tried to select your level. Hopefully I'm wrong.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think in the pictures of it it shows that it has the memory function. Hold down for 1/2 second just like the E50 to turn on in last brightness used.

What I think is weird though is that you can hold down the button for a full second to go straight into strobe. Some people like that, but I would much rather have it go into turbo after a 1 second hold. I guess if you always turn it off on turbo then you can have it come on in turbo, but you have to be vigilant to do that then. I don't think the UI is that bad honestly. I think the two switches concept would work if it had different leds or different reflectors for each emitter. As is though does it really matter? You just cycle through the brightnesses and the big selling point is that if you only have 1 18650 or are running low on primaries it still works. Seems like a good SHTF type light lol (although some say a SHTF light should be an AA light so I don't know :p ).

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I kind of like the side-by-side form factor with 18650s but I'm puzzled by the UI... Not programmable and sequence is, Turbo->Eco->Low->Mid->High! I also don't like the "hold for strobe". Also, it appears you can remove one battery and it will still run one emitter.... not a bad idea if you want to conserve or just have one battery but this wouldn't be the major selling point for me. I'm hoping for better things in v2.0.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kind of like the side-by-side form factor with 18650s but I'm puzzled by the UI... Not programmable and sequence is, Turbo->Eco->Low->Mid->High! I also don't like the "hold for strobe". Also, it appears you can remove one battery and it will still run one emitter.... not a bad idea if you want to conserve or just have one battery but this wouldn't be the major selling point for me. I'm hoping for better things in v2.0.

V.2? Hope you don't need that version next week lol. :)

And I'm pretty sure the sequence is "memorized". AKA If I'm reading it right it works like the Fenix E50 which I own. Basically hold down .5 seconds and it turns on in last used mode. Hold it down a full second and it goes into strobe. Not hard once you get used to it. It looks confusing on their site, but it says it has a memory circuit which makes me think it operates this way. I think it's just saying it cycles through the brightnesses from lowest to highest as you tap the switch. Hope I'm not wrong though. I don't think they would screw up the ui that badly.

feifei

Banned
Like the design of the light,but as someone mentioned, if one LED is cool white LED,another is neutral white LED,it will be better.I don't know if it is possible.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the design of the light,but as someone mentioned, if one LED is cool white LED,another is neutral white LED,it will be better.I don't know if it is possible.

Oh it's very possible. Check out this awesome Imalent light that came out recently:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...d-Flashlight&p=4480917&highlight=#post4480917

I want that... but by Fenix and without the admittedly cool touch screen. I'm not saying that touch screen isn't good. Just for me I want a multi-tint light without it first. Imalent is doing some pretty cool stuff though.

Again what is awesome about multi-tint lights is not that you can have warm or cool separately, but instead both together. You get SUCH an improvement in color rendition and clarity/contrast having both together instead of just one. If you have neutral and cool lights test this for yourself. It gets much closer to the kind of clarity you have with say a nice slr flash gun or even maybe diffused sunlight.

feifei

Banned
Oh it's very possible. Check out this awesome Imalent light that came out recently:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...d-Flashlight&p=4480917&highlight=#post4480917

I want that... but by Fenix and without the admittedly cool touch screen. I'm not saying that touch screen isn't good. Just for me I want a multi-tint light without it first. Imalent is doing some pretty cool stuff though.

Again what is awesome about multi-tint lights is not that you can have warm or cool separately, but instead both together. You get SUCH an improvement in color rendition and clarity/contrast having both together instead of just one. If you have neutral and cool lights test this for yourself. It gets much closer to the kind of clarity you have with say a nice slr flash gun or even maybe diffused sunlight.

Thanks for the detailed information!

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen the light!

That thing is so bright for its size. I think one of the coolest things about this light is how it can (confirmed?) use various battery types at the same time and also with variable charges (not in the same tube of course though). I think what would be SUPER cool is if Fenix released a mini handle you could screw into the clip position so you can use it as a handle light for walks and such. I don't know if those hex screws would be strong enough to support the bouncing around forces and weight of the light though.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen the light!

That thing is so bright for its size. I think one of the coolest things about this light is how it can (confirmed?) use various battery types at the same time and also with variable charges (not in the same tube of course though). I think what would be SUPER cool is if Fenix released a mini handle you could screw into the clip position so you can use it as a handle light for walks and such. I don't know if those hex screws would be strong enough to support the bouncing around forces and weight of the light though.

I am sure it is bright. A handle for the light would be good for a more comfortable grip when using it for long periods.

I am still uncertain about its size until I see it and hold it myself. Difficult to measure using pictures and videos.

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
I like this light. It is compact for such high output and the flat shape make it wearable on my belt.
I like a light that has a sustained 750 lumen output in this size.

YAK-28

Enlightened
after a couple days of playing/testing i like the ld50. easy and comfortable to hold, fits easily in pockets, i'm fine with the levels and it seems a little different tail standing one of my fenix lights. it does have a memory. the hotspot fills the tops of the neighbors trees better than tk35ue. i'll have to test some more.