NEW Reactive Tikka R and RXP

jonathanluu2

Newly Enlightened
They have interesting looking headbands. I wonder if they are less springy and eliminated the oft bashed zebralight bounce characteristic. I still cant bring myself to buy a light that requires a "patented" or "proprietary" battery that ends up being way overpriced.

What if I am in Africa and I drop my spare battery in the river? "Hey Pretzl, can you send me one of your super snazzy batteries to me?...No i dont have an address, somewhere in a small village in Sudan. Can I hack it with some off-brand AA's? the locals use them in their radios and such...No? Okay, guess I am out of luck, thanks...Click." Yes I am being dramatic, but its for effect :grin2:. Look forward to seeing more in the summer.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you were going to Africa, you could buy the extra 3xAAA holder.

It'll certainly be interesting to see how these lights perform, and how well the reactive control works in various situations.

tam17

Enlightened
I don't like proprietary batteries and USB charging, my other gear is old-fashioned and I like to be able to buy batteries in any local store if in a pinch. As per Reactive Lighting technology, time will tell.

Cheers

MikeAusC

Enlightened
. . . . I still cant bring myself to buy a light that requires a "patented" or "proprietary" battery that ends up being way overpriced. . . . .

I agree - with the versatility of modern drivers it's so easy to make a light which will run well with LiIon, NiMH or Alkaline cells.

Which explains why they now offer "
[h=3]Battery pack for TIKKA® R+, TIKKA® RXP[/h]The battery pack, which holds 3 LR3/AAA batteries, provides a back-up solution in case the rechargeable battery is accidentally completely discharged. It allows the headlamp to be used in remote areas where the battery can not be recharged."

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened
The battery pack, which holds 3 LR3/AAA batteries, provides a back-up solution in case the rechargeable battery is accidentally completely discharged. It allows the headlamp to be used in remote areas where the battery can not be recharged."

Sorry, didn't pay attention, thanks for the heads-up. But you still have to pay $$ for main Li-ion battery pack, right?. And keep your fingers crossed that driver keeps going on when alkies are halfway down...

Cheers

petersmith6

Enlightened
Halfway up the nothing face of the eiger on a night climb...Smithers ...pass me my laptop ....why.... Need to top up my head lamp...yes the is a aa adaptor....but that should be included as standard....you have mail..

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Halfway up the nothing face of the eiger on a night climb...Smithers ...pass me my laptop ....why.... Need to top up my head lamp...yes the is a aa adaptor....but that should be included as standard....you have mail..

No product is a match for poor planning.

eiger

Newly Enlightened
I don't like proprietary batteries and USB charging, my other gear is old-fashioned and I like to be able to buy batteries in any local store if in a pinch. As per Reactive Lighting technology, time will tell.

Cheers

I don't think regular Alkaline batteries are able to power the new generation of LEDs iro power and functionality.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a well-designed AA light I'd at the very least expect to be able to get some useful life out of alkalines in an emergency, even if I wasn't expecting them to power some ultimate output mode.

As for 'the new generation of LEDs', even in 2004 there were LEDs which could happily gobble an Amp - a current which would tend to slash the effective capacity of alkaline AAs to something near a third of their nominal ~2800mAh.

carrot

Flashaholic
If the reactive control is anything like the one in the NAO I am on board. The NAO has quickly become my favorite backpacking light because it is so useful!

I simply set the maximum output level and it automatically ramps up and down the brightness depending on whether or not I am looking close or far away. Works perfectly. It can also be overridden with user-defined presets, so even if you are in conditions that confuse the NAO (dense brush, fog), you can force a certain level of output. This is definitely the future of headlamps.

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
The only exp I have with a G-sensor based auto-dimming light is the nitecore SENS series, I hope this works better than the nitecore's did or a lot of people will be dissapointed.

carrot

Flashaholic
The only exp I have with a G-sensor based auto-dimming light is the nitecore SENS series, I hope this works better than the nitecore's did or a lot of people will be dissapointed.

If I understand correctly the Nitecore SENS series dims based on the tilt of the light. Petzl's technology works on a light sensor that measures the amount of bounce-back, dimming or brightening the light accordingly to compensate for the need for more or less light. If you look off into the distance, for instance, there is less bounce-back, so it brightens. If you look at a map, it dims because there is a lot more light coming back from something so close to you. In my experience this system works perfectly. I turn it on and don't need to tweak it at all.

beamon

Newly Enlightened
It's September. Does anyone know what's happening with these?

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have to admit these headlamps are good looking. i have to get one of these sometime just to see how well it works. i think usb charging can be okay. for example, a person might carry a portable usb battery pack to top off their phone and can do the same with the light. then all they have to do is manage that portable battery pack(some do have replaceable batteries,18650's)
if my hands were full all the time, like holding my body on a wall from certain death haha, then this would be awesome. look close, look far, look close. would be beneficial i think.